iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

poplar bark siding

Started by countryjonez, January 12, 2010, 08:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryjonez

i am wanting to harvest some yellow poplar trees from my farm.interested in using the bark for siding.woul like to have all the info i can get on it.
If God be for us who can be against us ?

Skip

About 2 yrs ago an outfit out of NC was paying more for the bark than for the timber . They were really particular about the way it was peeled.At the time you could get the logs for next to nothing, go figure. Haven't heard of them being around for awhile.

Magicman

countryjonez,  Welcome to The Forestry Forum.  Curious, how do you use bark for siding?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

donny hochstetler

theres an  outfit just down the road that does just that , poplar siding  I think its Amish country bark  might want to look them up 

countryjonez

POPLAR BARK SIDING IS USED ALMOST LIKE SHAKES.PEEL THE BARK FROM DOWN TREE THEN FLATTEN AND DRY.AWESOME LOOKING STUFF. SOME HOUSES I HAVE SEEN WITH IT ARE OVER 60 YEARS OLD STILL IN GOOD SHAPE,WITH NO STAIN OR TREATMENT OF ANY KIND.NATURE AT ITS BEST .  THANKS FOR ALL INSIGHT
If God be for us who can be against us ?

logman

Hardin Creek Timber Frames in Boone, NC produces poplar bark siding.  They have a kiln to dry it.  There are alot of buildings around here that have it on them.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Ron Wenrich

If you wait until the sap starts flowing, the bark will peel off the logs.  Sometimes it comes off whether you want it to or not.  I've seen logs squirt right out of the bark.

If you go to a local mill that brings in logs, they'll probably let you pick up as much of that bark from their log yard as you like, especially when they're not running.  Smaller mills would probably be more approachable than a really big one.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!