iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any registered dog breeders out there?

Started by Banjo picker, July 12, 2020, 01:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

We have 2 dogs that we rescued. Bocephus is an American Stratfordshire Terrier that we adopted from the pound when he was 9 weeks old and Bay is a Mountain Cur that was the runt of the litter. Can't see buying a dog when there so many in need of homes.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Walnut Beast on July 13, 2020, 02:19:33 PM
Quote from: K-Guy on July 13, 2020, 10:48:20 AM
Quote from: ljohnsaw on July 12, 2020, 02:35:27 PMAlso, I'm a firm believer that a mix breed is an all around better dog.  Less joint/skin/temperament issues.

X2 for me also. smiley_thumbsup
I'll disagree with that! Most problems in dogs are created by people breeding them foolishly! As for temperament. If mixed breeds have such a superior temperament why wouldn't the military just go to the pound and just randomly pick out some mixed breeds for various service work. I love all dogs mixed or specific. I think adopting and getting rescue dogs are fantastic👍👍👍.
What you just said supports my statement.  For a specific purpose, a pure bred is the ticket (guard dog, hunting dog, etc).  The problem is some breeders, and possibly a reduced gene pool in a local area, has brought out defects both physical and mental in some breeds.  Unless you really need a purebred, don't bother with them.  I see too many that have "the breed" for a status symbol, not for companionship.  For an all around (i.e. family) dog, you can't beat a mixed breed.  You just need to research what mixes have the qualities that you are looking for in your situation.  Like, don't get a cattle dog mix when living in a small apartment in the city.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Jeff on July 13, 2020, 06:32:43 AM
Well, in sort of a topical post, im sitting here with this guy. We have a 7am dropoff appointment at the vet for him to say goodbye to two  of his closest friends. He was a year old yesterday.

Beautiful boy

gspren

Our last dog, who we miss dearly, came from the wife's uncles farm. The mother was a stray that showed up and stayed and the father must have been a traveler because no one knew who the mother got bred with. Our dog Ginger who traveled to 43 states with us and never made a mess in the truck looked like a cross between a yellow lab and a ridgeback, I told people she was obviously an Egyptian because she built little pyramids in the field. Purebred American mutt! 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

btulloh

Quote from: gspren on July 13, 2020, 07:59:07 PMcross between a yellow lab and a ridgeback

That sounds like a good combo.  I've known a lot of yellow labs and a few ridgebacks.  They were all good dogs.
HM126

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Quote from: Jeff on July 13, 2020, 06:32:43 AM
Well, in sort of a topical post, im sitting here with this guy. We have a 7am dropoff appointment at the vet for him to say goodbye to two  of his closest friends. He was a year old yesterday.

I see I have created some confusion as to an email I got this morning causing me to come back and read any posts I had made lately.

Sawyer was neutered yesterday. Not euthanized. Although in human circles, that is sort of the same thing. :)

Sawyer is fine, doing well, and having a hard time paying attention to vets orders of "no fun stuff" for two weeks.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Banjo picker

Glad you cleared that up Jeff.  I thought he was saying goodbye to you and wildflower.  I am in the running to get a terrier mix.  They have contacted one of our vets, and they will probably call the other tomorrow.  I am keeping my hopes up, just don't want to get them too high.  I told one of my vets that I think I could get on with the FBI with less investigation.  That's a good thing though I recon.  They make sure the pups go to a good home.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

nativewolf

Quote from: Walnut Beast on July 13, 2020, 02:19:33 PM
Quote from: K-Guy on July 13, 2020, 10:48:20 AM
Quote from: ljohnsaw on July 12, 2020, 02:35:27 PMAlso, I'm a firm believer that a mix breed is an all around better dog.  Less joint/skin/temperament issues.

X2 for me also. smiley_thumbsup
I'll disagree with that! Most problems in dogs are created by people breeding them foolishly! As for temperament. If mixed breeds have such a superior temperament why wouldn't the military just go to the pound and just randomly pick out some mixed breeds for various service work. I love all dogs mixed or specific. I think adopting and getting rescue dogs are fantastic👍👍👍.
Pretty simple why the military doesn't.  Mixed dogs are all different.  The military is about having a repeatable process.  They looked at lots and lots of breeds and kept really good stats on what species for what purposes.  So, they have pretty much locked into a specific breed or two and that's what they use.  They have manuals and manuals and vet trainings, etc etc etc all on just a couple of very specific breeds.  So imagine what they would need to do if all there dogs were different.  In my experience the military is a terrible organization for the average joe to pay attention to, they have odd needs and often have congressional pressure they forces terrible buying decisions.  
Liking Walnut

Banjo picker

Deb & I went to look at a terrier mix Saturday.  It was at a humane society.  Part AirDale & something else suppose to be about 26 lbs. at maturity.  I made the call to just be there with my mask on at 10:00 when they opened.  Drove 100 miles... got there a little after 10:00 (road work) delayed a few minutes.  They said you are supposed to have an appointment.  First available one was 1:00.  They said there were 6 people ahead of me for that dog.  Then the guy said the air dale was crossed with Irish Wolf hound.  I said forget it.  If the site had had the correct info I would not have bothered.  This is part of the reason folks just buy a registered animal.  If the adoption we are working on don't work out that is what I will probably do.  Another thing:  some of the so called rescues seem to be in it for the money.   They have connections at the humane society's and the desirable animals are picked up by them, before the general public has a chance to adopt.  Then they charge about 3 times what they gave for it.  I guess this was a rant.  I am getting to be an ole codger I guess.  Just say what I think.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Walnut Beast

I would be hot to . Drove 100 miles and found out 6 people ahead of you 

Walnut Beast

Hopefully you can give a home to some lucky little one

Banjo picker

Here is the little guy we are wanting.

He is a loooong way away.Tim

Nebraska

Walnut Beast

Banjo picker

Well the folks from pooch savers in Dallas never got back to me after we jumped through all their hoops.  But I found these two ... a brother and sister a lot closer from another rescue. We got them today.  They have been running and playing in the back yard..... rolling in the grass. It made me happy to see them.  They are two years old.  I just put them in their crate that we had for the big bull dog, and they haven't made a peep.  Their original owner turned them in and another lady tried them, but they were too much for her.  They will be a handful, but I think I am up to it.  

That's Samantha on top & Sammy below.    Wire haired terrier and who knows what.  They are about 25 lbs each.   That's a picture from the rescue place, I couldn't get them still enough to get one in my yard. Tim

Walnut Beast

That's great Tim. I bet Everyone is happy👍

Jeff

Well, there will be no german shepherd offspring generated here. Sawyer got his stitches out yesterday.

Here is a picture if his balls.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

Banjo picker

They went for their first ride in the Kutota rev this morning and done pretty good .... no trying to jump out.  My vet is supposed to come and pick up a bundle of lumber this afternoon,and I am gonna get his analysis on them.  They been microchipped.  I don't know if it's worth the money to register it or not.  Don't really cost much. About $50.00 bucks for both.  If he recommends it...I'll do it.  They need a hair cut.  Tim

Tom King

Those dogs are Very lucky to have found you!!!

WV Sawmiller

My wife and I were sitting here this afternoon and noticed Sampson, my world famous 'fraidy cat rat terrier, sleeping on the rug in front of the TV. Suddenly he started making little "woof, woof, woof" sounds and his feet were twitching like he was running in his sleep. Suddenly he yelped and woke up and jumped up and looked around. I guess he was having a nightmare or such. Probably a raccoon had chased him into his little dog house in his sleep. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

farmfromkansas

The best dogs we have had were dumped out near here.  Seems like a dog that gets rescued from bad circumstances appreciates you giving him a home and taking care of him or her.  I would still like to find a cow dog that would help me with cows.  The current cow dog is afraid of cows.  But she kills rats, tears down my firewood stacks to get rats.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Banjo picker

There are quite a few Australian Shepard's in the rescues around here that are needing a home.  I found these through the adopt a pet site.  I am really enjoying them.  They immediately figured out the doggie door. ( really about 30 minutes).  Doc came by and picked up his lumber, met them, got their records and called his groomer and got them set up for a haircut.  Their appointment is Aug 18th.  Any pet groomers out there you might want to move south.  They will be a lot cooler and look a lot different after that.  Tim

Stephen1

I picked up a border collie/lab mix 10 years ago from a farmer friend . This is the best dog I have ever owned. I never really had to spend any time training him, he just know what is the proper way to be. I talk to him and he just knows. He knows all the kids in the neighbourhood, He thinks kids are made for him to play catch with the ball. 
I called the famer 5 years later to get in line for another pup, but the female had passed away. 
My next dog will be a Border Collie. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!