iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stove paint

Started by bluthum, November 27, 2019, 09:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluthum

I gave my wood burner a coat of paint yesterday. For the first time ever I used  a high heat gloss black instead of flat. Wow, it looks so much nicer than the flat it's amazing. It also appears more durable but of course who knows, yet. This may be old news to most of you but I only wish I'd know of it  sooner.

BradMarks

Have you burned a fire in it yet?  I used a name brand stove black, high heat, glossy finish aerosol this summer on my pot belly stove I bought. Took it to the cabin, installed it, lit a fire this fall, and had to evacuate!  Until it all burned off with an intense fire. Chemical smoke. It is now flat black again, minus the few rusty spots!  If it is outside still, light a fire in it. Lesson learned for me.

lxskllr

Never painted my stove. I have the distinct memory when I was a kid, and we visited neighbors with a freshly painted stove. The stink in the house was just about unbearable, and smoking a pack of cigarettes would probably be more healthy. I can live without a pretty stove.

bluthum

I fired it up this evening, opened doors and windows. Smoke or fumes seemed no worse [that's not bragging] than previous experiences with flat paint. Also it still looks a shade above flat. I'm still likin' this paint over the flat.

This stove has been my primary heat source for 40+ years and it acquired some serious rust pits on the top in the first few years when I didn't paint it. All my observations are subjective, there's no science here.

thecfarm

No idea if it would work with paint. But a ball of wax paper on our cook stove,when there is a fire in it,will make it shine again. I use the cheap dollar tree stuff too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bluthum

Wow! Never heard that trick before.

Al_Smith

Rust-Oleum high temp  might work on a bar-b- que grill but on a wood stove not so good .Stove black is what you want .---Google ---

Nathan4104

We rub in vegetable oil into our cook stove top to keep the rust away.  At least the house smells like a deep fryer rather than burnt paint :) 

Thank You Sponsors!