iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black walnut harvest time in Missouri

Started by chain, October 22, 2011, 07:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Had stopped by a store across from a Hammon's walnut collection/processing point. A couple of p/u loads of walnuts were being processed and bagged; if I read the flyer correctly the price given was $12.00 @100#. They supposedly have 190 processing /collection points in fourteen states.

WDH

I assume that these are wild harvested nuts and not from orchards?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

chain

Yes, they are wild walnuts. According to their web site the price has dropped somewhat but may flucuate according to the supply and harvest. Would assume the nuts are easier to gather than pecans. Would be a great outing for the kids! :)

OneWithWood

Just finished picking up the first fall of walnuts day before yesterday.  I used my nut wizard that I got from our sponsor Lawn-Gardening-Tools online.  The wizard actually made gathering the nuts fun.  Took me back to my toddler days playing with my popper toy  8)

Now I just need an easy way to husk the little buggers...
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Banjo picker

Us rednecks just run over them with a car. :o  And what dif would it make where they came from...are they using them to plant or eat?  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

sandhills

Quote from: Banjo picker on October 29, 2011, 06:29:14 PM
Us rednecks just run over them with a car. :o  And what dif would it make where they came from...are they using them to plant or eat?  Tim
The first memory of walnuts that I have was asking my grandpa "what are all those things laying in your driveway?" thanks Tim  :)

Corley5

An old corn sheller works to remove the husks.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!