iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planing 22" wide slabs

Started by Crusarius, September 16, 2019, 10:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

I have 3 - 116" long x 22" wide x 2" thick walnut slabs that I am looking to get planed. My router sled is not quite long enough and it would take 3 setups to get 1 slab done.

Is there anyone willing to help me out nearby? I don't mind travelling, definitely don't mind having to check out someone elses setup :)

Southside

How far you willing to travel?  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crusarius

Iv'e driven to VA to go wheeling plenty of times :) Unfortunately this time of year time gets a little more precious. But I am not opposed to it :) I will keep you in mind.

DWyatt

Sounds like you need to make Crusarius Router Sled 2.0

Crusarius

I was contemplating getting some more linear bearing rails and doing that. But then I would need a bigger table in the shop and more space. and.. and... :)

Plus it takes a long time to get it setup just right and surfaced.

Still an option though.

A-z farmer

Crusarus 
You are welcome to come use our planer .
It looks like just you are only four hours each way from our farms In schodack New York.
Zeke

Crusarius

Thanks for the offer A-z. I will keep it in mind. With the days growing shorter be nice to find someone closer. But I do love a good road trip. Looks like 4 hours is pretty close. Maybe I need to take a day off?

DWyatt

I've got my sled set up and could do it in 2 set ups. Took some extra time leveling and it's working like a dream with that 80/20. I'm only 6 hours each way :D

Crusarius

What no build thread? I am disappointed :)

DWyatt

Quote from: Crusarius on September 17, 2019, 06:59:22 AM
What no build thread? I am disappointed :)
The build thread in buried in your original router sled thread. It got lost in there once everyone started talking about electronics and it went over my head :D

Crusarius

oh yea. I remember now. :)

Electronics aren't that hard. Power goes in and motion comes out :)

Southside

Sometimes smoke and fire come out with the motion too you know.   :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Crusarius

Do not allow the magic blue smoke to escape. Without it, they no worky.

customsawyer

I ain't much further than the rest of them. Bring it on down.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Crusarius

I sure do love all the willingness to help. If it was earlier in the summer I would have already been on my way. I hate it when you have a pile of logs you been trying to mill all summer and now the summer is ending and the pile has only grown. I need to quit my day job so I can get stuff done at  home.

Maybe if I rent the kids out I can get more done at home? Any takers? :)

JBailey

Quote from: Crusarius on September 18, 2019, 07:40:31 AM
 I need to quit my day job so I can get stuff done at  home.

You and me both.  Quitting day job sounds great.
You are welcome to plane on mine planer if you are driving thru VA.  Its a 3 phase machine, which is nice and smooth power.

Brad_bb

1. Are the slabs dry (8 percent or less)?
2. Do you know the use, do you need that length?

I wouldn't plane them until they are dry.  I also wouldn't plane them until you are ready to make them into whatever you're going to make them.  That length is almost 10ft, which is not unreasonable for a dining table.  

I'm not near you, otherwise I'd help you out.  An LT15 with an MP100  beam planer like mine would work  to flatten those.  I'm sure you'll be able to find someone with some set up that will help you, whether it's a router sled, a CNC router, A wide belt sander, or a beam planer like mine.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Crusarius

They are at 15% air dried only. they will be countertops in the wifes art studio and the wall is 106". Without a kiln I cannot get them any lower. I am ready to cut them and install them. Be nice to get it done before winter. Actually since the windows are staying open right now so inside and out are pretty close now would probably be a real good time to install them.

I do keep thinking how nice one of those planers would be. Unfortunately that is kinda out of my price range right now. I appreciate the offer.

So in all my delusions I started looking into making a larger router sled. Then of course "feature creep" took over and now I am seriously considering CNC. Oh the joy of things bouncing around in my head. Stay tuned... :)

Brad_bb

If they're going into a conditioned space, I'd want them down to at least 8 percent. I'm sure you can find a kiln, and hopefully they will do it at a reasonable price.  I had a local DH kiln do 3 slabs for me last spring.  about 65BF each, and cost was $1/BF (They were already air dried down to about 15-18 percent).  There's something about getting them down to the 6-8 percent range that the cell walls collapse or something, so they'll never reabsorb moisture as easily as if they had not.  This is what I've read from guys like Gene on here (I think it was Gene).  
   If it's an outdoor condition space, I'd want 12 percent.  They will come down lower in the winter naturally as the winter air is so much drier.  Do you have a heated shop space you can put the slabs in?  I'd do that and by late December in New York, when the humidity is really low, your MC should come down in the 10-12 percent range.  

I'm just afraid that if you flatten and install them at 15 percent, there WILL be movement as they naturally dry down from there.  You will see some shrinkage perpendicular to the grain direction.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Crusarius

Thanks for the input brad. I understand your concerns and am right there with you. I really am not sure what I want to do. Or what I should be doing. I know that I would love to get these made, installed, and off the list. Unfortunately, all of the concerns you listed above are still in my head as well.

I do have radiant floor heat in the house. I thought about making a hot box to put over the slabs when I turn the heat on. Unfortunately the floor usually doesn't get turned on till late November. So that will delay this project. Maybe I need to go find a black pipe large enough to put them in and try out my basic solar tube kiln idea?

I could always store them in the boiler room that is typically 80 degrees when the boiler is running. But once again, I usually don't fire that up till late November. Hmmm decisions decisions.

I could just try my luck see how it works out. If it is a major failure, chalk it up to learning experience.

Anybody have any kiln space for 3 slabs? 116 long x 22 wide x 2" thick?

Southside

I do have a stack of 2", air dried walnut slabs that need to go through the kiln at some point here in the next month-ish.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

@GeneWengert-WoodDoc has recommended an attic space, but do not know if you can get them in.  I am in Ks and occ check.  my oak table is at 7.2%.  ac all summer long.  I would check wood items in you home and make that your target.  If it will remain sort of rustic, then a little movement may not be as obvious.  will these be solitary objects or have joints.  my outside elm 2" live edge is 8.6% just under a tarp.  of course we have different locals and conditions.  Is 15% as low as you can go in your part of NY.  I lived in Albany for 4 years.  My ac was out for 2 months this summer in my shop and finally the new ac has caught up with all the humidity that soaked back into all the dry wood I have in there.  I have been dumping a 5 gallon bucket of water a day for a month.  it is down to 45% in there @ 70°.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Crusarius

well these slabs are definitely not perfect. there are defects that will be included in the final product. The biggest problem is the 3 sided scribe. So I am slightly concerned with it shrinking more and pulling off the walls. But if that happens a backsplash is not the end of the world. Do keep wondering if I will need to epoxy them just to fill the spots around the knots.

the attic is not a bad idea. I should try to get those up there this week. Only problem is the attic is in the shop so its not heated or conditioned. I do think we have a few more weeks of hot at least.

doc henderson

I think Dr. Wengert has stated that if it is 15° warmer than ambient it will help.  or cover in plastic or just put it in your house. but it is bigger than flooring that can acclimate in a few weeks.  yes if it shrinks, and it will some,at least a quarter round
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!