iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved: Spicebush

Started by Don P, April 02, 2002, 03:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

We took a walk this afternoon and this bush was in bloom. ;)

Tom

Looks kinda like witch hazel but the flowers are awful frilly. :-/

Don P

Warm Tom ;D
 The bush has the same size, home and growth habit.

swampwhiteoak

Don P

It is frilly more than a clean bell like forsythia, timing is dead even though, they just opened.
The petals would be smaller than witch hazel's, which around here bloom October and later.
The stem emits a strong odor when bruised.
Grows from Maine to Ontario to Kansas to Texas and Florida

Bud Man

The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

DanG

Sassafras, per-maybe-haps?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

bjorn

Don P

We have a winner...and a new member 8) 8) 8)
Welcome Bjorn, pull up a stump ;D

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/Plants/l/linben/linben1.html

swampwhiteoak

welcome to the forum Bjorn

Tom

Welcome to the ForestryForum, Bjorn.  You sure scooped me!  I was puzzled.

Tell something about yourself.

bjorn

I have Spicebush in bloom all over the place on my homestead in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.  I used to own a WM LT40 HD about 10-12 years ago, but got out of sawing back then.  I recently got he bug again, and am building a barn...so I have ordered a Turner Mills manual mill to get back into it.  Should arrive in early May.  Found this forum, and enjoyed reading the posts.

Tom

Well, we're glad to have you.  I have a 1990 Lt40HD with over a million BF on it. Don't know anything about Turner Mills.  I hope you have a camera because I love to see the terrain in the mountains everytime one of our Highlanders post a picture.

Y'all are beginning to form a "cluster" up there.  :D  

There are several members in your general neck of the woods.

L. Wakefield

OOhh, excellent. What with my trip down to Ritchie Co. WV, I may be able to hit them in bloom. I know where 1 or 2 used to be by one of the pastures. if they've spread, I know a couple will be hitching a ride north with me on the way back..
    lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

woodman

Jim Cripanuk

Thank You Sponsors!