iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DIY kiln questions

Started by bbaley, September 26, 2016, 09:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbaley

Hi all,
I am moving to a new property where I will have acreage and timber.

I am interested in possibly setting up a DIY kiln for lumber I process onsite, likely using a 20' shipping container as the base for the kiln.

If any of you have been researching the same project or have any ideas based on your experiences I would very much appreciate (hyper/web/google) links, thoughts, ideas, and the conversation !

As for the timber/lumber to be processed - it would vary but typically Douglas Fir, Soft (Big Leaf) Maple, Alder, Pin Oak, White Oak. various other conifer (Western Red Cedar, Spruce, Hemlock etc)

This is in the Northwest (SW Washington) region.
Thanks in advance!

I will be searching and perusing here in this forum for previously posted info as well - there is just a lot to wade through !

Brian

WDH

Being able to load a kiln with a whole pallet of stickered wood is a huge time and back saver.  Whatever you do, think about a design that does not require hand stacking and unstacking into and out of the kiln. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bbaley

Quote from: WDH on September 26, 2016, 09:35:38 PM
Being able to load a kiln with a whole pallet of stickered wood is a huge time and back saver.  Whatever you do, think about a design that does not require hand stacking and unstacking into and out of the kiln.

Good point - I will have a tractor, and I don't see why I couldn't get a pair of forklift forks for it.

WDH

That is the way to go if the tractor has a front end loader. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DansSawmill

do read yellowhammers thread , he has tracks from angle iron going into the end of the kiln
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too
now with a 98' lt40 super

Den Socling

And you can get V-groove wheels from McMaster-Carr.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If you contact NYLE in Maine, they have instructions for using a reefer and will give you some names of customers with similar.  I suggest you consider a compressor larger than their 50 series, as you will be having a variety of wood species.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!