iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

100 percent tree tally

Started by sawsawmarsh79, May 08, 2020, 12:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawsawmarsh79

Hello All,

The process of tallying every tree marked, but only measuring every 25th tree of dia., sticks & species, no plots.  After figuring averages what is the next steps to determine volume, calculation process.  Thanks in advance.

stavebuyer

As a buyer I often ran a "check cruise" on marked timber. If I had numbers I would make sure I had a decent sample of all the species. I would run a strip cruise but just tally the marked trees. If I had species numbers I would make sure I had at least 10% of every important species. It would get me pretty good numbers without re-inventing the wheel. I had a handheld that provides me real time counts/percentages/probability but you can do it with a pencil beforehand for how many you need of each species if you have numbers or after the fact if you don't.

Clark

Next time, it will pay to figure that out before you step foot into the field. As yellowhammer is fond of saying, take steps to save steps.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Otis1

You're asking a lot from people you have never met, or have no interest in helping you other than being nice internet people. 

That being said, you need to tally your volume based on every 25th tree, then multiply. Basically figuring that the 1 tree you measured is representative of 25 trees. 

I usually do a 100% tally on sawlogs, then pulp is separate. 

There are a lot of computer/ipad software solutions for your question.

I'm a fellow Wisconsinite if that helps or if you want more info

Magicman

The Forestry Forum Way is to help a fellow member in any way that we can. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wudman

You tallied your 25th tree by species, so you will calculate your tree averages by species.  Take that tree average by species and blow it up by your total tally by species.  With less common species, you may have a poor sample (didn't get many measurements on that species).  In my log buying days, I did a lot of 5th tree tallies on small or irregular shaped lots.  That was before the days of GPS and acreage determination could present issues.  It worked very well and one could cover some ground doing it.  Good luck with your project.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

sawsawmarsh79

Thank you, to all for your help. 

Thank You Sponsors!