iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

100AC Tract of land with some timber what to do with it?

Started by sawmillhand, September 10, 2012, 07:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmillhand

I bought a 100 ac tract in north mississippi . it has already been thinned once already.  It has SYP and some hardwood on it . I am needing some advice from some of you experts. Would i need to wait a while and cut the rest or go ahead and clear cut now and replant,and if i do clear cut and replant how long till the first thinning. In 15 yrs the land will be paid for if not sooner just needing a little advice and a direction to head with this. Thanks all
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Okrafarmer

Not trying to pick on you, but I'm not sure I would have bought 100 acres of land without having some kind of a plan for it. . . .

Are you planning to build on it and live there-- keep it as an investment-- clear it for farmland-- use it as a hunting property?

Maybe you do have those kind of plans, and just haven't told us.  ;) But if we knew what you have in mind for that, it will help the foresters and the rest of us chime in more intelligently as to how to manage the timber.

Also, I don't think you told us how big the current pines and other timber are. Shooting from the hip, I would say that if they aren't saw log size yet, and they are growing in a healthy manner (they have been thinned, after all), that my instinct would be to leave them at least until they will produce saw logs. After all, the timber market is way down right now and we can hope it will improve within 5-10 years, meanwhile we can also hope that a great number of your trees will pass from pulpwood to saw timber trees in that time, increasing their value.

But what do I know, I'm not a forester.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ron Scott

Decide what your long term management objectives are for the property and have a professional forester walk and look at the property with you and advise you accordingly on the best management practices to meet your objerctives in a timely manner.
~Ron

sawmillhand

Okra  its ok    i bought the land mainly for a future investment, i got the land at a really great deal and its right across the road from where i grew up. I have thought about building on it one day. The pines  are 16 to 20 inches roughly and the hardwood is around 24 plus. The reason i thought about just clear cutting now is to start fresh and make sure its planted fully and not have spots here and there thats not planted. I hope i make sense there  ;D. I dont know alot about pulpwood sizes and saw timbers could you explain the different sizes for them or have a website i could read up on. thanks alot for the input.

Okrafarmer

Ah-- your trees are saw timber size, which means you could have a substantially profitable sale if you did choose to clearcut (or selective cut) them now.

Now that we know the size of your timber and more of your thoughts on it, we have more to go on.

Ron's advice is good, once you know what you want for your property in the long term, you would do well to contact a forester who can help you come up with a plan. Don't hesitate to contact several foresters until you come up with one you like and trust, you should ask for references, and/or ask around the community for foresters with a good reputation. Some are better than others. The one that will work best for you will be one who consistently puts your needs, desires, concerns, and best interests first and foremost.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

sawmillhand

sounds like a good plan to me thanks for the advice guys thats why i like this forum.

shelbycharger400

trees that size, draw your self a floor plan for a nice house. determine how much wood your going to need.  If you have place to store the lumber, cut it all out then sell the rest off.  Not shure what you have if you have any for a mill.  Just might be time to take a look at one.  Investment in even a used mill, will pay for itself if you have decent saw logs at your disposal.
Buying lumber is expensive,   you will have some expense with blades , and fuel, but when you figure it out , your time is cheap compared to a 30 year loan paying 3 to 4 times the value of your house if you buy one built.
My 3 year construction of my homebuilt mill, first running this year in april, and a nother used motor(blew first one) has just about broke even now , thats just doing hobby sawing.

thecfarm

I myself have 150 acres to play on and I would hate to see it all cut off at once. My cutting is differant,because I need firewood. If I did not know about cutting wood I would ask someone that does know, a forester. But everyone has thier own idea about what their woodlot should look like too. I've been told more than once that I am too fussy with my woods.  ::) 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

You need a timber inventory that shows the volume of timber by size and by pine and hardwood before you can make any decisions.  A Forester will be a good investment in your long term management of this property.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

Problem with clear cutting and replanting is that you will probably not get another harvest off the land in your lifetime. It just takes that long for a forest to regenerate from scratch. It's going to look like a disaster area for the first few years, and maybe 20 years before it starts looking like a forest with real trees again. Even longer before and are big enough to harvest. In this part of the world we can harvest trees on a 20-40 year rotation, I believe in most of the US it would be more like 40-80 years to harvest?

If you intend to live there I would look for a mixed age management plan. This may involve small clear cuts of areas of mature trees, or selectively cutting mature trees, and leaving the healthy future crop trees. Thinning and removing unwanted species from other areas etc. Sure you will have various open clearings around the properly for a few years until they regenerate, but this is great for wildlife. Those are the sort of things that a local forester can advice you on. He will know your local species and how best to manage them for long term gain.

It certainly sounds like you have trees there that are harvestable, whether this is a good time to do it (low log prices) depends on your situation. Maybe it would be possible to harvest some trees, and use the $$ to help pay off the land sooner? But a selective harvest should leave you set up for another harvest in 10-15 years time as the trees continue to mature. Maybe this will fit in with your plans to build a house there in the future?

There can be valid reasons for doing a clear cut and basically starting again, but it's a long term project. If you have a healthy forest now, it's probably better to try and maintain that with wise selective harvesting, especially if you want to live there in the near future.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Okrafarmer

Somebody who lives there, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think where he lives, it would be less than 40 years to mature pines? I've cut mature pines here in my area (in the woods, not someone's yard) that were 36 years old and 18 inches plus in diameter. His latitude would not be far off from mine. Especially with proper management, I'm pretty sure the pines would be less than a 40 year turnaround. Certain hardwoods, such as tulip poplar, are also fast growers.

By no means am I saying that he should definitely clear cut it, just saying I think he lives in one of the faster-growth areas of the US. Anything he plants, he may see it grow to a certain maturity in his lifetime.

Of course, I don't know how old he is!  ;D I was kind of assuming he was about my age, give or take 5 years, but I don't have much to go on.  ;)

WDH

Most of the timber companies in that area are targeting loblolly pine on a rotation of about 28 years with two intermediate thinnings.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

That's more like what I was thinking. As usual, WHD has the info on file whereas I have it on backorder.  :D

Ianab

I see he is in one of the more Southern States, so yes the growing season is longer, and hence tree rotations are shorter.

Still going to look like a tornado struck for a few years though...

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Ianab on September 10, 2012, 11:11:53 PM
I see he is in one of the more Southern States, so yes the growing season is longer, and hence tree rotations are shorter.

Still going to look like a tornado struck for a few years though...

Ian

Yes, unless he gets a gentle logger. If he gets with a forester, and they decide on a staggered harvest plan of some kind, they will be able to manage the slash and it won't be too bad. He may decide he wants to clearcut part of it, and selective cut the rest. It sounds like those pines are reaching maturity and could start to die before too long, although the ones I saw around Magic Man's house looked like they grew to 24" plus without too much trouble. I did see a few broken off from the recent storm, though. In Northern MS he probably has more to worry about from tornadoes than from tropical storms and hurricanes. I'm not sure how long the loblollies normally go before they start dying off naturally. He may have time enough left on them to implement a long-term selective cut strategy without having to take the bulk of them down right away.

sawmillhand

Yeah i was thinking more about section clearcut  if anything. i am only 30 so i was hoping to get some kind of return from it. Heck if not my kids will be setup  :D. i will try to post a picture of the land from a aerial view so that way you can see what i have. I know a forester  i can trust so ill give him a call when i get home and walk the land over and see what he says. I know when i lived in louisiana they would get a first thinning around 13 , 14 yrs  but they have paper mills and chip mills around there so.

Ianab

Well if you have trees near to harvest size now, then it makes sense to harvest them in the near future. Use the $$ to help pay for the land or house. Then replanting those areas for a harvest in another 30 years or so. Be your retirement money with any luck.  ;)

Pine really do need to be clearcut to regrow properly, if they are just selectively removed you tend to get other more shade tolerant species taking over. But you probably don't want to clear cut the whole place, although that's what  would be done here. But then pine forestry here is more like growing corn than traditional forest management. 

Anyway, that's what the forester can advise you on.
"This section over here is mature and ready to harvest. Leaving them longer wont increase the value much"
"These over here are still growing strong, leave them another 10 years"

Also, tap his knowledge about WHY he's suggesting things. Professional advise is good, but so is learning more about how to manage your own land.  You might not get a degree in forestry, but it doesn't mean you can't get more educated about what  is going on.

Ian

terry f

Looks like a nice piece of property. I don't know much about hardwoods, but it looks like a great start.

Claybraker

I'm not a forester, so I apologize for talking out of turn here.

If it was mine, I'd start with an inventory. A forester can help with the timber side of things, but for a thorough job, you need to schedule a walk through with a good pointer. Might even need to go over it more than once during the season.

Cord-n-8R

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Claybraker

My bad. Pointer is a generic term to denote upland bird dogs. No offense intended to any upland breeds.

The picture looks birdy, and any proper inventory should include a survey of existing wildlife, with special emphasis on the tastier species. I suppose you could use a forester for that, but they are real bad to bust a covey.

SwampDonkey

I thought he was talking about a compass. :D :D

No, I'm just kidding. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Bonus of doing some small clear cuts and leaving other areas in timber is that you create a great environment for all sorts of wildlife  ;)

Ian

BaldBob

Are the sizes, that you stated for the trees, diameter or circumference? From the picture, they don't appear to be that large a diameter.

Thank You Sponsors!