iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder comparisons for a newbie in the northeast

Started by General007, October 27, 2019, 08:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtime lurker

What Barge said about "small" skidders. Footprint is always all about the operator... hang 40' of log behind a 440 and it needs the same room to turn and churns up the ground more than a 648. 
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

General007

Well I went and looked at a couple of machines this weekend 2 440s an a and a b and a cat 518.  Defiantly leaning towards the cat seems like a lost more machine for the same price point.  The cab ergonomics are way better and I really like the 3 speed powershift compared to the synchro shift on the deere's.  The winch on all of them seem pretty user friendly.  Guess we'll see by weeks end if I decide to go look at one other machine or take the Cat home.  

BargeMonkey

They all suck to fix, the problem is the parts for those older deeres, I have a 440D and some of the parts for the parking brake DONT EXIST anymore, hunting boneyards or getting them made. I dont know the older 518s real well, but they where a stable machine, once you get used to that center pivot you cant go back to a deere. It's a buyers market for iron right now, decent machines around. 

General007

Seems like Cat carries most parts for the machine have no clue about every part but their network is usually good.  And defiantly is a buyers market there's a lot of small skidders in the northeast available right now for decent pricing.  

BargeMonkey

They all suck, Nortrax is the worst. Milton depends who you deal with. I have to get Timbco parts from Anderson in ME because of CJs and those guys are real good. The problem is the good deals are going fast, I waited 1wk to long on a slasher, everyone's sitting on the computer at night snatching stuff up, woodprices are coming back and 90% of what you see for sale is thrashed so if you find something decent I wouldnt wait long. 

General007

Does seem as most stuff has been slightly used  :D.  Most everything needs some sort of tinkering I'm hoping to find something without to much cobbing or major issues  

BargeMonkey

An old fisherman I worked with who had built quite a few new boats at Washburn said it best, payments or repairs, you sink when your making both.  

ehp

we use to have 7 - 440's in the later 70's . Like barge said the winches are not nice , when they work yep they work but lots of days they sure do not . 518 is a bigger skidder than a 440 and work well, just make sure the frame part that only allows the machine to steer only so far to the right and left are in and the proper thickness , seen lots that the drivers let go to far or to the point that part was missing, with that part not being proper you end up cracking the tranny case and that's pretty costly to fix IF you can find a new case cause lots of cases have been cracked. Look for a TJ and see what is out there , there everywhere and cheap to fix

General007

The 518 im looking at seems to be pretty tight and clean.  Obviously for the age it isnt perfect, but for just a part time use it should do what I ask.  Biggest issue with the machine I see are the front tires are on their last limb so those will need to be replaced soonish. 

celliott

Does that 518 have a gearmatic winch or is it new enough for the cat/lufkin winch?

If the tires hold air and have good tubes and chains I wouldn't worry too much. I was concerned when I got my Clark, because the tires are pretty worn, one is downright slick, but, good chains and they all had new tubes when I got it, they've been fine. I also am not full time and tend to go a little lighter with the hitches.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

thecfarm

I have never owned a skidder,but just spent almost $800 on a tractor tire. I hear skidders tires are much more!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Skeans1

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

General007

It has a gearmatic winch which Ive read a ton of things about sounds like they can be problematic is they get wet, idk? I was told that it had been recently rebuilt and it seemed to work fine not that I pulled a load with it so we'll see.  This has 18.4-26 rubber on it so they're expensive to buy new but honestly I thought I'd be worse not that 1200$ for new tire is cheap but I've found some local used tires about 50% tread for a little under half price.  Once I get it in my yard I'll see if I pursue tires I just know one of the fronts weren't great and starting to de-laminate so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before its an issue. 

BargeMonkey

Just bought 2x new 23.5 rock tires.... 😂  50% worn skidder tires aren't worth 1/2 of new, by the time you have a problem with 1-2 tubes and take your chains off your better off biting the bullet the first time. On smaller tires you buy a Firestone Ls2 forestry tire, buy a primex for a couple hundred less and your not saving money. 

General007

Is it bad to run a new tire with a worn out tire?  I kinda thought you were supposed to keep the tires the same on each axle to not damage the differentials.  Id prefer to go new but dont want to buy 2 new tires for a machine that's a glorified toy around the property for firewood, if it was used everyday id buy new tires in a heartbeat. 

BargeMonkey

If you can find 2x tires for the right money its worth while, but don't pay good money for well worn. 18.4 tires are around, I know where 4x new ones are mounted on deere rims all chained up for ok money. Run it till it wont take anymore, you will be surprised how long a forestry tire lives, I got away with ag tires on the front of my 440 for a few yrs till I got a rock one day. Run your better tires on the back and the worst ones on the front with chains. 

General007

I found a pair of used firestone 18.4-26 tires at 50% for 800$ a pair I didnt think that was to bad for tires but dont really know the market.

Ed_K

That's a great deal. I had 1 bald front an 1 at 20% on the taylor for a number of yrs and found a 20% for $200. It's been on for 14 yrs with chains and I haven't had any problems. Like said run your better ones on the back.
Ed K

Dieseldog5.9

mills

Quote from: Dieseldog5.9 on November 08, 2019, 07:42:38 PM
Are the air brakes in the 518 problematic?

When I bought my mine the brakes worked, but were worn out. Over the course of three years I replaced the compressor, diaphragm/actuator, master cylinder, and pads. Haven't had any problems now in over five years.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: General007 on November 07, 2019, 10:37:00 PM
I found a pair of used firestone 18.4-26 tires at 50% for 800$ a pair I didnt think that was to bad for tires but dont really know the market.
You dont lose on new skidder tires, if you ever decide to sell the machine normally good rubber makes or breaks a deal. An 18.4 you can probably do yourself, I dont fight them, never re-use a tube, so the cost to mount a tire a couple times doesn't take long and you've covered the cost of new. 

General007

Ive changed a ton of loader tires but never any skidder tires.  My assumption is the rims are the same style as a loader?  Most of the time rust is the issue with getting the rings off.  I'll have to see new rubber is great but not sure if my budget will allow.

Riwaka

There are a variety of different heavy equipment (tire) rim designs.

Modern skidder rim type with dual wheel plates. Using a service truck crane that is a suitable design (no sharp edges etc)to place skidder tires on rims (and remove them as well)   and a bucket of tire 'soap'.  Buy a fair bit of a crane for the cost of a hernia repair operation.

Mounting 30.5 tires - Nokian LoggerKing LS2 - YouTube

tj240

I'm late with the reply, but you can't go wrong with a TJ 240, mine is a240a, with a 6 cyl. duetze, I have never had an issue with it starting.  I was a JD guy until this one, will put it places a JD shouldn't go. cheaper to fix and stable!!! But it is stick steering and you have to take the transfer case out of gear to winch, but I LOVE this skidder. Good luck and stay safe
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

Thank You Sponsors!