iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Glow Relay Woe/Remedy

Started by Magicman, June 22, 2012, 01:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

MM The pins were all corroded and full of fine sawdust.  I guess I did not pull hard enough before in fear on tearing the relay in half.  Not sure if all the lose solder joints are brokenfrom vibration or partly from trying to get the relay out.  It does work when you push down on the relay and it makes contact, so hopefully it will work after soldering.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Magicman

Since that is a high amperage circuit a good connection is absolutely necessary.  I had to replace the socket on my original engine before the relay finally croaked. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

flatrock58

Found a local guy through a friend at church to solder my relay.  He is an avionics technician and said he would have it done in the morning.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

flatrock58

Relay soldered and working again.  $10 fix.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

flatrock58

Well the relay went out again today.  Not sure what the problem might be this time.  Haven't used it much since it was fixed.  I might have to just get a switch and solenoid and build my own manual relay.  Has anyone replaced their bosch relay on the 42hp kubota with the new relay?
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

flatrock58

Found a relay Beck Arnley 203-0023 on amazon.  It appears to be the same relay.  Was cheap so I am going to take a chance and see if it will work.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: flatrock58 on December 12, 2015, 11:08:42 AM
Well the relay went out again today.  Not sure what the problem might be this time.  Haven't used it much since it was fixed.  I might have to just get a switch and solenoid and build my own manual relay.  Has anyone replaced their bosch relay on the 42hp kubota with the new relay?
I did.  I think about 3 yr ago.  I have the same year mill & engine. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

flatrock58

terrifictimbersllc did you replace it with Bosch or with the new Lombardini Glow Plug Relay?  If I read it correctly, you have to buy the relay and the socket for the Lombardini.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

terrifictimbersllc

I know I did not have to replace the socket/wiring harness for the relay.  At one point WM sent me several of the small female spade pins which are in the socket, because one of them broke in half.  I can't remember the brand of the new relay, I"ll check it when I have a chance.

If yours is not a remote, wiring a push button switch for the glow plugs would not be hard. I thought of that but didn't want to walk down and back twice, also I figured I'd forget it and leave it on and wear out the glow plugs earlier.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

flatrock58

thanks terrifictimbersllc,
I will try the cheap relay I found on amazon first.  I thought about a momentary toggle and a solenoid, but if I can get it working with a relay it would be nicer.  I have actually found a relay for sale online that shows a picture of the exact same Bosch relay that went bad, but the description does not have the part number.

All I know is my mill does not like to start, even in warmer weather, without glow plugs.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

flatrock58

Well the $11 relay from amazon fits and works, although a little different.  With the bosch relay I would turn the key on and the relay would stay on for 12 seconds or so and when the light went off I would start the motor.  With the one from amazon when I turn the key to preheat the glow plugs it will come on but not go off until 7 seconds after I start the motor. 
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Kbeitz

Could you post the model number of the amazon relay or the title name ?
I would like to look into that. I'm needing one for a project.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

flatrock58

Kbeitz  the relay is Beck Arnley 203-0023 Relay.  I don't see the retailer I bought it from on there any more.  They must have sold out or they didn't have many..  The cheapest I see now is $39.99.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Kbeitz

Hey thanks... I see them on ebay for $19.99
I see they are made for Volkswagens.

Other part numbers
1802-20395, 835 54009 500, RY-52, RY-53, 19912
  1R1295, 171 911 261 E, 1802-20250, 835 54009
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

LeeB

Bringing an dold one back up. Does anyone have the manufacturers part number for the original Bosch relay or the newer Lambardini relay. I've found two different numbers for the Lambardini, one from WM and the other from a Lambardini parts manual. Nothing for the Bosch and the numbers are worn off of mine. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

terrifictimbersllc

I replaced the relay on my 01 LT40Super/42Kubota with a new one from Woodmizer in 2010. Cost $138 then. Dont have this mill anymore.

LeeB

Finally got tired of using a jumper wire and found a relay on ebay for $45. Also found that the ignition leg wire to the relay pigtail was out of the spade clip. New relay and wire fixed. Starts like a charm now.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Good for you Lee and it sounds like you made a great find on eBay.  Continually doing a "work around" grows weary.

Could you post the relay#, etc. to add to this topic for the future.

LeeB

The Kohler part number is ED0021931340. Generic part number is 107-2193-134. I found several companies offering them in a google search. Many of the much cheaper than Kohler. Kohler's price is pretty much the same as WM. Others were as low as $75. The one I found on Ebay was a one off but there are also others on there but not at that price. I tried to find a oigtail for it but no luck. They're probably out there if I could word my search right.

mike_belben

i read the first post and jumped to here.. i think manual glow relays are great and should all be manual, but wanna mention they draw a huge voltage drop as does the starter, so i suggest a few revolutions of dead cold cranking to prime fuel and oil system, then a manual glow interval and simultaneously let off the glow plug and get on the starter.  youll have a slower cranking speed if holding the glow plug on while cranking, and if theres air in any of the highpressure injector lines of a mechanical fuel system the nozzles wont unseat and spray so the first two or three cranks may be waste on priming while the glow plug heat as fading away.  thats why a cold few cranks first thing.

this is the only procedure that gets my tractor to fire in winter. thankfully it has a mechanical decompressor on the exhaust valves. 
Praise The Lord

Magicman

I have no problem starting my engine, even in cold weather.  Glow it for the recommended time interval and touch the start position.  It starts immediately.

I do like your recommendation of cranking it over a couple of times before glowing.  My engine will not start without glowing, even in July.  This is the third Lombardini engine that has been on my sawmill and they were/are all the same regarding glowing/starting.

Three sounds bad but not so.  I removed the replacement non-turbo engine when I found another turbo.  It is now a spare and is bolted to skids and sits in a crate if/when I ever need it.

Thank You Sponsors!