iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how I miss squid..... 8)

Started by tule peak timber, February 08, 2020, 10:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Most of the time my squid reaches that stage of its "life" I end up having to pressure wash it off the side of my boat because I was using it for bait the day before.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

For some strange reason, this talk of squid reminds me of this song:

I Lobster Never Flounder

I was a cook
and she was a waitress
Down at the Salty Sam Seafood Café

and somewhere 'tween the clam juice and the seaweed salad

some little shrimp just lured her away
Oh, I lobster and never flounder
He wrapped his line around her
and they drove off in his carp
I octopus his face in
Eel only break her heart

I said, "Just squid and leave me
for that piano tuna
if you want to trout something new"
She was the bass I ever had
Now my life has no porpoise
Oh, my cod, I love her, yes, I do

He wrapped his line around her
and they drove off in his carp
I octopus his face in
Eel only break her heart
(Spoken:)
"Boy, I swordfish she'd come back to me, Sandy. I
shore'd a whale of a time." "Now, Richard, you know
she'd just pull that 'Not tonight, I've got a haddock'
routine." "You're probably right. But y'know, I've
kelped her picture in my walleye just for the halibut.
I wonder if she's still got mine in her perch?" "Did
you, you say 'perch'?" "Yeah, I'm afraid so." "That's
good. For a moment there, I thought I was losing my
herring." "Well, we bass squid all this seahorsing
around before these people out here go into a state of shark."
"Yeah, if we get out of here alive, it's going to be a mackerel."
"Frankly scallop, I don't give a clam."

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

Swordfish cheeks, crab butts, and head butter- boy I miss fishing 8)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

WV Sawmiller

@doc henderson ,

I think we have a patient for you! Looks like @WDH got into those mushrooms @LeeB  posted about earlier and they've driven him off the dock.  :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

:D :D :D  sadly, I thought it was kinda puny. :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sawguy21

Quote from: millwright on February 10, 2020, 06:01:17 PM
I've had pigs feet and horse meat, but not quite sure about eating squid.  
Haven't to the best of my knowledge been fed horse meat although some places I have dined at have been pretty sketchy. :D Pigs feet are quite tasty as is squid but both need to be properly prepared.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Texas Ranger

I have eaten every thing mentioned so far (except the snot stuff) including horse, and the very worse I have ever eaten was blutwurst in Germany or maybe the grease sausage.  But hey, anything is eatable to some body. digin_2 digin_2 sketti_1 sketti_1 smiley_beertoast smiley_beertoast
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

TimRB

Quote from: millwright on February 10, 2020, 06:01:17 PM
I’ve had pigs feet and horse meat, but not quite sure about eating squid.  
Well, there's your problem. Go to a good Italian or seafood place and call it "calamari".  

When I was a kid we used to buy squid for crab trap bait.  If anyone had told me I would eventually not only eat it, but actually love it, I'd have told him he's crazy.

Tim

Ianab

Quite partial to seafood myself, including calamari. 

Dinner for 2 at Sails restaurant in Rarotonga last trip.

QuoteSeafood platter for 2. Curried Octopus, grilled mussels, scallops, prawns, seared marlin steaks, ika mata (raw yellowfin tuna marinated in lemon and coconut cream) and some assorted stuff to fill in the gaps

Good seafood in Rarotonga, being surrounded by ocean and all that.  digin1
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tule peak timber

And natto for breakfast this morning !

sawguy21

Never seen that before. What is it?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

tule peak timber

Natto is a fermented soybean. Note the threads of bacteria.  Very strong smelling- again like a cheese. An acquired taste--------.

Nebraska

Wow you eat some strange stuff. I would struggle mightily to eat soybeans like that.  I smell enough spilled soybeans around farms after they get rained on during harvest.... no good. I am also out on the feet it's kind of  a job thing.  Although you might not care for my oysters. ;)

WV Sawmiller

@Nebraska ,

Which brings up the eternal question - How drunk was the first guy who ever tried to eat a raw oyster? :D

I love them fried but a raw one is a waste of a good fried oyster. And I am severely disillusioned about how badly Tule Peak has abused these squid on this thread. >:(
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

It's really a shame you can only hit 'like' once for a post. ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

tule peak timber

I think he is referring to testicles, and yes--- hot and steaming from the sack and swinging from the Vas deferens. Off of a freshly killed ram....... :(

WV Sawmiller

whiteflag_smiley no_no go_away think_not steve_smiley arg-smiley splitwood_smiley smiley_crying

You're going from bad to worse.
Howard Green

Andries

Stop now Rob!
My virgin eyes are  electricuted-smiley 
Graphic stuff - even more graphic than @Magicman body part photos! 
There is this place called the WOODSHED, y'know?  :-X
I've only been there once . . . .
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Nebraska

Texas Ranger

You are entering the twilight zone: The individual is quietly going about it's business, obtaining and preparing food. It is at home, a lovely little shell home near the beach. Suddenly a craft appears overhead, and a strange creature comes down and takes you up to the strange craft. Your intelligence cannot help you escape from this nightmare, you are cleaned, prepared, cooked, and consumed. You are a squid.

Science fiction of the squid world.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

tule peak timber

ok, less of the cooking channel. More of the door building channel..... :)

YellowHammer

About the most exotic food I eat is frozen pizza and Zaxby's.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

wisconsitom

@ WDH:  I sea this poetry the other day but I just can't fathom it!
Ask me about hybrid larch!

tule peak timber

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!