iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First timer - Building my own Mill and would like opinions

Started by danielhachey, October 18, 2019, 09:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

I am not sure I would go that far. :) But it was a fun trip. Kinda looking forward to doing it again.

The threaded rod does work but there sure is quite a load on it. I have ideas to fix it. Not sure how crazy I will get on this setup. Thanks for the inspiring words.

Hoopty5.0

I saw you mentioned using angle for the bed - I did that on my build and (to credit those who said it would be flimsy) it's flimsy. This is 3x5x1/4".  I'd be careful there. I built a mill using the same kit as Crusarius, and I'd recommend it for quality, but not for ease of build.

JoshNZ

Yeah I wouldn't be discouraged from building your own if that's what you want to do. Mine is mostly complete, functional and useable, certainly enjoyed the build! I've had a few ballsups by flying from the seat of my pants as said but nothing too dramatic to reverse or fix, I'm pretty happy with it.

On the other hand if you were running it around the clock to make a living, I'd definitely opt for a proven design, with support. But for satisfying a hobby interest.. get stuck into it!

My guides work well and they're fairly simple to make. Easier to look at a photo than read a description I put a few photos in my thread if you can be bothered looking. A mill without guides would be a dud, for sure. As I said it might work but not to any practical level.

Will give us all some coffee/bed time reading if nothing else  popcorn_smiley

Good luck regardless!

Woodpecker52

Start with a good set of plans and blueprints of a proven design!
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

RAYAR

Quote from: danielhachey on October 21, 2019, 11:58:24 AM
Also, yes, @RAYAR I'm located just past Sussex so really not too far. When I get a few steps further I would definitely love to check out your setup. The one part I can't wrap my brain around is the log bed and the whole mechanism to hold the logs and have it be efficient yet sturdy enough to withstand some large logs. That and the backstop.
Daniel, I'm sure I can help you out with some knowledge on the bed and other components related to it. Like I said, I have my mill currently set up in Moncton, but hope to have it home in Memramcook before the road salt starts being applied. I was milling for a few hours this afternoon 'til dusk. You can also check out my photo gallery for various pics and details of my mill. You may also want to have a good look at the carriage on mine and I could point out things to be aware of in planning your set-up so you initially end up being happier with your build first time around. It may save you from having to re-build some things that you weren't initially aware of.
Ray
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

Thank You Sponsors!