iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood mill opinions

Started by milkie62, August 21, 2014, 01:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milkie62

Was looking at the Norwood mills at the Boonville woodsman days.They seem to be a decent mill and I like the option of starting with a manual mill and being able to add hydraulics without the cost being any different than buying it all at once.Anybody hear good or bad about them ?

redbeard

There's lots of good info here on the forum from owners of the Nor wood mills. Always have liked that you get to assemble your mill which is really  benifical for keeping it tuned and accurate.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

buckhunter

My son bought a MN26. You will know every nut and bolt on it when you get done putting it together. Very happy with it, quality piece.
Norwood MN26 (13hp) Husky 455 Rancher

2B1ASK1

Chuck White

My SIL's brother has a Norwood, I don't know the model number, but he's had the mill for years and seems to have had no serious issues with it!

The Norwood's are nice looking mills and are made heavy duty!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

I spent 3 days with logrite at boonville right next to the Norwood camp so had lots of exposure in that setting. They are one fine cutting machine. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

moosehunter

I started with a Norwood LM2000. I was very happy with it and only sold it to get a mill more capable of being mobile and having more options. The folks at Norwood were great to deal with and helpful after the sale.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Skip

I have a LM 2000 I bought when they came out and I Love It ! The new models are Outstanding Norwood offers the only Manual mill that you can upgrade to Hyd.  at any time . Go or it !!!

dboyt

I've run the Norwood HD36 (manual mill) for a couple of years now, and it has done everything I've asked it to do.  I can tell you that it does, in fact, handle logs up to 36" diameter.  It is one tough mill.  I've dropped logs on it, knocked it sideways with the loader, and abused it in ways I'd rather not admit, but it still cuts straight and true.  Absolutely no service issues with it.  It took about 15 hours to assemble, but the instructions are very clear.  Only problem I had was when I jumped ahead without reading the manual.  An air wrench would have cut hours off the assembly time.  I have seen the hydraulic options, and am impressed by the way they work-- hope to outflt my mill with hydraulics eventually, but doing fine with the manual mill, for now.  Great folks to work with, too.  Bottom line is, if something happened to my mill, I would buy another tomorrow!

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

ely

lm2000 owner since 2004, no regrets at all. still going strong. I have the 20 hp Honda. my thoughts are go with the biggest engine they offer, hp is a good thing in wider cuts. read ,read and re read the assembly manual before you begin putting it together. pay good attention to the squaring of the mill while assembling. :P. over all it is a joy to assemble and even better to make lumber.

barbender

I've never seen any negative opinions about Norwoods. I'very never been around one personally, but they look very well built and well engineered.
Too many irons in the fire

TennesseeFarmerJohn

I have recently purchased a LM29 from Norwood.  I could not be happier.  One reason that i choose Norwood, is that my research showed only woodmizer mills seem to hold their resell value like Norwood. As a newbie sawyer, I didn't know a lot about mills.  The Norwood seemed to fit my needs, but knowing that I could resell the machine later for nearly what I paid made my decision for me.  I'm an accountant, can anybody tell.

Lonely Sawer

I got one cause it's the same color as my Kubota. Not realy, but it's close. Seriously tho , It's because of the way it's built. And the fact that you know what you have after it's all together.

If it don't work, it's your own dang fualt. Good price too. LM29, I like it.
Norwood LM29
Sthil 020 16" bar
Sthil 039  24" bar
Kubota L3130 HST W/Backhoe
78 Ford F-800 Boom truck
2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Cummins 4x4 crew
Yamaha Viking SXS

JohnM

Quote from: milkie62 on August 21, 2014, 01:59:55 AM
Anybody hear good or bad about them ?
Think you have your answer, milkie62! ;D :D  They were on my short list for bandmills had I gone that way instead of the swing blade.  Good luck and have fun! ;)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Nomad

My first bandmill was a Norwood LM2000 with the 23 Vanguard on it.  I'd put it up against any manual mill out there.  I really liked that mill!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Brucer

One guy in town has owned one for several years. He told me it doesn't cut straight beyond 10. I strongly suspect he hasn't got the bed set up properly.

A former customer just bought one -- don't know what model but it's manual. His wife told me it came in 29 boxes and he was taking his time putting together. I just saw her on Tuesday and she told me it's running he's sawing everything in sight. He's happier than a pig in you-know-what. I know he spent a lot of time making a solid foundation for it.

I'll have to go out an have a look one of these days.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

barbender

For you fellows that think you need to assemble your sawmill so that you know it inside and out, I've found that knowledge comes along soon enough. Sawmills bend, break and need adjusted, you'll know every nut and bolt on it in short order anyhow ;)
Too many irons in the fire

milkie62

Well you guys have convinced me which one to buy.Just have to check with my son if he wants to follow through with it.

Jemclimber

My friend bought a Norwood earlier this summer and he is having a problem ordering parts.  I rode with him, a 4 hour drive, to pick it up from a CL listing. He paid cash.  Apparently, from talking with a Norwood rep at the Boonville show,  Norwood had a mill stolen from their site and needs documentation on the sale in order to sell additional parts.  He needs a few more bunks so he has a bit of a dilemma, but I'm sure he'll get it figured out.
So just an fyi to anyone buying a used one, get the serial number and proper paper trail if you buy a used mill. Probably good advise for any used equipment. One thing I'm not fond of on his mill is  the fixed guide and that they are not adjustable for down pressure.  He is very happy with it though so that's what counts.
lt15

milkie62

Quote from: Jemclimber on August 22, 2014, 07:54:10 AM
My friend bought a Norwood earlier this summer and he is having a problem ordering parts.  I rode with him, a 4 hour drive, to pick it up from a CL listing. He paid cash.  Apparently, from talking with a Norwood rep at the Boonville show,  Norwood had a mill stolen from their site and needs documentation on the sale in order to sell additional parts.  He needs a few more bunks so he has a bit of a dilemma, but I'm sure he'll get it figured out.
So just an fyi to anyone buying a used one, get the serial number and proper paper trail if you buy a used mill. Probably good advise for any used equipment. One thing I'm not fond of on his mill is  the fixed guide and that they are not adjustable for down pressure.  He is very happy with it though so that's what counts.

What is a fixed guide vs adjustable ?

cutterboy

I bought a LM2000 in 2001 and it still saws true. I've had no major problems with it. And btw, the guides are adjustable on mine.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: milkie62 on August 22, 2014, 03:37:46 PM
Quote from: Jemclimber on August 22, 2014, 07:54:10 AM

What is a fixed guide vs adjustable ?

The roller guides on most mills are adjustable to push down on the band a little bit. I think most mills run 1/4" down pressure. Wood-Mizer specs 1/4". Maybe that down pressure is built in with the Norwood. I've never heard of anyone claiming there was a problem with that on a Norwood, I doubt it is an issue.

I like that you cannot order parts without a serial number. Maybe not an initial deterrent to theft, but could lead to more people getting pinched when they try to buy parts.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dboyt

I believe that "fixed guide" refers to a sliding mechanism that allows the operator to move a guide closer to the wood for better support.  My HD36 has a sliding adjustable guide, as does the LM29-- but I believe their MN26 does not, which isn't an issue for a mill that is designed for smaller logs.  The ceramic guides, by the way work very well for me.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

muskoka guy

We have the mx 34 and are very happy with it. We bought it at twenty feet , then added another eighteen later to make it capable of cutting thirty eight foot logs for log shells. We have found Norwood very helpful during the assembly and set up. Ours took about fifteen hrs to assemble. We used an impact gun. Lots of bolts to assemble.

Jemclimber

On his small model the off side guide doesn't slide and there is also no adjustment for down pressure or alignment.  He is still making boards and is very happy with it and glad he got. He really likes the 13hp honda that is very quiet. 
lt15

kczbest

My first mill was a norwood lumbermate mark 4. I can honestly say it was a fine little machine.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Thank You Sponsors!