iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Want apple trees

Started by Logging logginglogging, November 27, 2012, 03:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logging logginglogging

Where can one purchase 5-6 foot tall apple trees in nothern VT?
can agway get them that big? I want good edible apples not crab apples. Looking to start a small orchard for me and the deer.

beenthere

I would contact some local nurseries that plan to lift them in the spring. We have them in WI, and sure expect you would have them in VT.  Not sure I'd look for them online, if that is what 'agway' is, as they would be bare root stock for shipping. You would want something potted, I'd think.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I think so,but kinda pricey and I don't know about thier guarantee for survival either. I have no idea what is out there now. My Father planted many fruits trees here about 30-40 years ago. Some would die and he would write to them and get another one. Some had free shipping,but were higher than some that charged shipping.They are ALOT of work if you want to eat the fruit. LOTS of spraying needs to be done. Some pruning too. He had ALOT of fun with them. The area extension has pruning classes too. We had to put a fence around some of them for a few years to keep the deer away from them.I helped him out quite a bit planting and pruning some.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I would buy from a reputable nursery in the state. And I would ask for the tried and true varieties for the area. You could ask an orchard owner what varieties are good. I would avoid anything that is not tested for your climate, some varieties are good to grow in the area. Some won't be. We had to get our apple trees from Corn Hill here in NB. They were varieties that do good here. Some of the garden nurseries around here will try to sell anything. As an example, Magnolia trees. I've never seen magnolias survive our winters yet. That little card on the tree sometimes has a broad range of frost hardiness. But what was the zone the tree originated in? Not the species range on the frost map. Just a for instance. I lost faith in that little card long ago. Yeah I know they came from Asia, but just a for instance for any native plant.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

celliott

Agway is a farm\feed\hardware type of store.

I would check Grime nursery in Waterford. He has quite a few trees, not sure if he has 6 foot apple trees, but that's where i'd go.
I checked their website, he has 7 different varieties of apple trees. Paul Grime is a good guy to deal with too.
Waterford isn't exactly Northern VT, but it's just off the interstate. Where are you located?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Ironwood

First let me say, good for you for enjoying growing your own. I have planted about 10 or so fruits here, not to mention some "crabs" from my Grandfathers orchard before it was sold off. I like Semi Dwarf so they can outgrow the @#$%^ deer around my place. Additionally, the Semis give you better selection for "older" varieties. I like Gala, Golden, and several others I cannot remember now. BE sure to make a master list and map of what your planting an where because the darn tag ALWAYS fall off BEFORE you remember to mark everything. Learn your dorimant oil spraying (and when to do it in your area) and also pruning techniques. On the pruning issue, study some before you buy as you will be better able to identify GOOD candidates that have the proper structure as young whips or trees. I spaced my Semi's about 15-20' apart as you want good air flow (you will also learn that in the pruning studying)..... Fun stuff.

Ironwood   
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

bill m

There is a big nursery in Maine that is supposed to be very good. One of the foresters I work for gets a lot of stock from them. I can get the name from him over the weekend if you need it.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

thecfarm

I was looking through St. Lawrence Nurseries 2011 catalog. They have bunches of apple trees,but only 2-4 feet tall for $20 each. They are out of Potsdam,NY
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ironwood

NY is GOOD apple country. Likely they would have good vararities as well. The market is very "homoginized" with all the box stores and even the "Dollar" stores selling whips in season. Ask about semis and old varities, and there experience!

Ironwood 
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!