iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quickie Quiz Jackpot #6 MISSION IMPOSSIBLE

Started by mesquite buckeye, February 02, 2013, 10:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Alder.

"What have I got in my pocket?"
"Oooo, what does it have in its nasty little pocketses, Precious? Must give us more guesses, Precious, it isn't fair!"
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on February 07, 2013, 01:39:57 AM
This would be a type of Olea species would it?  The wood is similar but I didn't think Arizona had a native species.

There are members of the family, but no native olives. Does look like it though...... ;D ;D ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 07, 2013, 07:45:25 AM
Alder.

"What have I got in my pocket?"
"Oooo, what does it have in its nasty little pocketses, Precious? Must give us more guesses, Precious, it isn't fair!"

No way, dude. Much finer texture.

smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce :rifle:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on February 07, 2013, 01:39:57 AM
This would be a type of Olea species would it?  The wood is similar but I didn't think Arizona had a native species.

Also, olive blooms only in the spring....... :(

giant splinter

Wilsonii and thats my best shot with the info available

My second guess would be known as "Majestic Beauty" a close cousin to the one above.

both of these are in the ball park I think
roll with it

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: giant splinter on February 07, 2013, 11:15:26 AM
Wilsonii and thats my best shot with the info available

Magnolia wilsonii?????

Native to China, and not that.

Let me know if you are referring to something else. ??? ???

mesquite buckeye

giant splinter

I was trying to find it and came up with this
Olea Europaea Wilsonii

The red flower does no fit with these i don't think (thought the flowers where white on these)
roll with it

mesquite buckeye

You are correct. Not that one. ;D ;D ;D

smiley_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce smiley_bounce help_me popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley steve_smiley

smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_big-grin2

Jay C. White Cloud

Red flowers, native to AZ,....Hmmmm...and it's a tree???  This is a good one :P ??? ::) ;)
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on February 07, 2013, 11:52:10 AM
Red flowers, native to AZ,....Hmmmm...and it's a tree???  This is a good one :P ??? ::) ;)

That is why it  is MISSION IMPOSSIBLE. ;D ;D ;D

smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bouncing_pinky dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_huh2 smiley_huh whiteflag_smiley smiley_huh smiley_huh2 teeter_totter

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

giant splinter

question:
I must have been barking up the wrong tree, some of those olives are large trees (36" dia. trunk and 25 to 30 feet tall.
Are we looking for something of that magnitude or are we trying to shoot for a smaller sized tree and can we now rule out any of the olive trees?
roll with it

mesquite buckeye

giant splinter

roll with it

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: giant splinter on February 07, 2013, 12:20:13 PM
question:
I must have been barking up the wrong tree, some of those olives are large trees (36" dia. trunk and 25 to 30 feet tall.
Are we looking for something of that magnitude or are we trying to shoot for a smaller sized tree and can we now rule out any of the olive trees?

Tree barking...... ;D ;D ;D

Clue # 9: The "log" shown IS a big one...... ;D ;D ;D

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: giant splinter on February 07, 2013, 12:31:07 PM
Red Push Pistache

Got me scrounging now

Nope...... dadgum you, Charlie! smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley dadgum you, Charlie!

smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw

giant splinter

roll with it

Okrafarmer

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on February 07, 2013, 12:32:43 PM

Dogwood.

Jay C. White Cloud

Red Flowers, not many of those

Crucifix thorn Tree or Catonia-Canotia holacantha

I must admit I haven't seen wood from it.  If you have some samples I would love a piece.  Since you have been playing this game, (which by the way has been AWESOME,) it occurred to me that there really should be a collective data base of what you are showing us.  There really isn't a photographic repository of wood samples of the South West.  Your's would be the first from what I can tell.  These are some wonderful woods with great properties you are showing us, thank's again. 

I have a few others, but this is at the top of the list of possibilities. :)

Regards,  jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 07, 2013, 05:28:34 PM
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on February 07, 2013, 12:32:43 PM

Dogwood.

Not a dogwood.  :D :D :D

Is this a barking joke? 8) 8) 8) 8)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on February 07, 2013, 05:29:21 PM
Red Flowers, not many of those

Crucifix thorn Tree or Catonia-Canotia holacantha

I must admit I haven't seen wood from it.  If you have some samples I would love a piece.  Since you have been playing this game, (which by the way has been AWESOME,) it occurred to me that there really should be a collective data base of what you are showing us.  There really isn't a photographic repository of wood samples of the South West.  Your's would be the first from what I can tell.  These are some wonderful woods with great properties you are showing us, thank's again. 

I have a few others, but this is at the top of the list of possibilities. :)

Regards,  jay

Thanks Jay.

I have seen Canotia wood. Found some pieces by the side of the highway when they were trimming for a fenceline.

But it isn't that. Those flowers are sort of greenish white and only spring blooming.

smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce

smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_gossip splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley whiteflag_smiley

The idea about the wood is a good one. There are many not in collections that are really neat. Not a bad idea for jackpot prizes sometime.

smiley_biggrin01

Jay C. White Cloud

Ocotillo, Candlewood-Fouquieria splendens

I didn't think the trunk got that big?

mesquite buckeye

And without further adieu,

Clue #10: This tree is hummingbird pollinated.

smiley_horserider smiley_horserider smiley_horserider smiley_horserider bat_smailey  bat_smailey bat_smailey bat_smailey bat_smailey bat_smailey

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on February 07, 2013, 05:48:34 PM
Ocotillo, Candlewood-Fouquieria splendens

I didn't think the trunk got that big?

Jay, you are a bad guy :( :( :(

Thought I could stall this one out at least a couple of more days.

smiley_smash smiley_smash  smiley_smash smiley_smash

We have a winner.    smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping

Thank You Sponsors!