iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder tire PSI

Started by Timbercruiser, September 01, 2013, 05:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbercruiser

I have a 230 timberjack with 18.4 34 tires can you guys help me with the tire PSI please I cant read the tire at all. Any help will be good thanks  :)

loggah

I,m pretty sure they recommend  around 35 lbs, but if you load heavy you will be rolling the tire on the rims,or getting chunks of wood under the bead and into the tube ! i used to run between 45 and 50 lbs in my 230 timberjack with 18.4 rubber. if you have beat up rims, and poor ,or patched tires i would stick with 35 lbs. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Neilo

The handbook states around 17-19psi. But like Don says, many people run them harder than that. Too hard and you will loose traction or rip lugs. Neil

RayMO

If I only ran 17-19 in my 18.4 x 26 on my little 440 I would mash them flat with the 1,000 Ft + oak trees I been skidding. I have to run a minium of 35 psi .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

HiTech

I run 30 psi in my 18.4 x 26 tires. Was told by a tire man that was the magic number. I don't run fluid in the tires just air.

Ed_K

I run 35 psi in mine,air in front and rimguard in the rears.When I ran 20 I had problems with tire slipage and riped valve stems.
Ed K

thenorthman

the deere book recommends 16psi  I'm running 20psi in my 18.6x26s with a heavy turn and a sharp corner the inside rear starts doing some scary squirsh and roll stuff but so far nothing bad has happened... 

My tires are more than a little bald so I think if I where to pump em up to 35-50psi then I probably wouldn't have any traction, plus the lower tire pressure helps with giving a bigger foot print therefore less digging and rutting.

And no fluid here either.
well that didn't work

Stephen Alford

Running 30 psi in the 18.4 /34s and they are plenty used. Just wanted to mention that I have had very good luck with the "all natural rubber tubes".
logon

ga jones

I run about 25 in both the 18.4x26 and the 18.4x34 that were on my machine previously. I found that if there was much more air than that it is like being on a bucking bronco. Bounce around. No traction.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

loggah

Traction wasn't a issue as up here in the mountains and rocks i ran chains year round ,rings in the front and double diamond  studs on the rear on the 230, my buddy had a 518 cat with 18.4 tires and he ran 50 lbs ,the 518 is a lot heavier then a 230. When i had my 660 franklin grapple it had 30.5 rubber and i only ran 30-35 lbs in those big tires, pedno diamond and 1/2 stud chains on all 4 wheels. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Atlantic Trader

Loggah
Just drove through Campton yesterday,came down from Lincoln, been in Maine and NH on vacation. Well i have to say you guys have a lot of mountains and rocks. Mus be hard on the tires in all those broken granite boulders.

What a beautiful area and lots of big trees, i see there was some logging in the National Forest.

Didnt see any skidders until I got to Southern Maine

nk14zp

Quote from: Stephen Alford on September 02, 2013, 03:21:55 PM
   Running 30 psi in the 18.4 /34s and they are plenty used. Just wanted to mention that I have had very good luck with the "all natural rubber tubes".
All natural rubber tubes are THE only way to go.  They are well worth the extra money.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

loggah

We have to run chains, tires wouldn't last a season around here, the best chains might last 3 years if you keep them banjo string tight, i also only ran Firestone forestry special tires,some places we had to cut the tops up to fill the holes between the rocks to get the skidder thru them !!! the glacier left us plenty of boulders to deal with !!! ;D ;D , the natural rubber tubes are the best!!! Don

Thank You Sponsors!