iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spider bite

Started by etat, January 20, 2005, 06:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

Earlier today I got bit by a spider.  I was working under my tractor and I moved my hand to crawl up.  A pain shot through my finger like a hot poker.  I think I smushed the spider to smithereens, I never could find it.  Within ten minutes my finger doubled in size and started burning.  A vein running up my arm started turning dark.  I'm allergies to most bug bites anyways so I went to the emergency room.

Their first question was did I save the spider. Nope, didn't see it. They checked for puncture wounds such as a wasp or bee sting and couldn't find any.  I already knew it wasn't a wasp or a bee anyways. The doc said my description of the bite was typical of 'some' brown recluse bites.  He couldn't know for sure.  They laid me down and shot me full of steroids and benidrill and made me lie there for a while.   He told me to watch it and if it got worse to go back to the doctor tomorrow.  

Before I left the hospital I got COLD.  Really cold.  Dang near shaking cold. I'm cold now but got a blanket wrapped around me.  

The swelling has went down some but the finger still hurts and is burning.  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Tom

Maybe you shoud go back to the doctor tomorrow whether it's better or not.  Don't mess with it. We want you around all in one piece.

Ianab

Hey CK, glad you are feeling better.

The instant reaction you had sounds like an allergic one alright, shots should have settled that down but you probably in a mild form of shock. With spider bites what you have to watch is that the toxin often kills a small area of tissue around the bite. ( it's designed to dissolve flies from the inside out  :o ) This can get infected or even gangrenous if you aren't carefull. Hence the Docs instructions to keep an eye on it and get more treatment if it gets worse.

Take care of yourself, chances are it will be itchy and tender for a few days, but if it looks / feels suspect go back to the vet  ;) :D

Local guy lost his toe to gangrene after he didn't take care of a spider bite  :o

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Flurida_BlackCreek

CK,
I agree with Tom on this. Go to the doctor anyway. I was bitten by a brown recluse last year. I went to the doctor, he filled me up with a strong antibiotic and the damage was still fairly large.
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

Fla._Deadheader

Maybe ya otter cut the DanG finger off. :o :o :o  Lots of guys get by without 1 or 6 or ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Take care of that finger, so's I don't hafta cut my trip short and come up there and kick yer butt. ;) ;)  Good luck  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

etat

It's better today.  It's still swelled up some and still hurts but not near as bad. A small dark spot right where I was bit that they said may or may not get worse. The doctor's got me taking steriods and antibiotics.  I probably got enough grease and cleaner on it today to kill the rest of the poision anyways.

Dang it Fla., that's the same thing my wife said.  In fact she offered to take a pair of bolt cutters to that finger ???  I was not happy about that.  That ain't the worst I was talked to though, not near.  The first thing they asked me at that emergency room yesterday was if I had a living will.  Next of all things they asked me if my HEART STOPPED did I want them to try to REVIVE me!!!  "DANG RIGHT" that's what I told em.  Then they told me they asked everybody that. ???
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Kevin_H.

Hey CK,
Keep a close eye on that bite, make sure that the tissue around it does not start to die; I had a bite a little better than a year ago. It turned to cellulites. I got IV antibiotics for 3 days straight.

On the up side, I did get to sit in the recliner for 3 days...
 ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

pasbuild

CK is this the type of injury that could affect the MUD market, please advise  ??? ??? ;D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Tom

When the Hospital asks questions like that it makes you wonder if you shouldn't just truck on down to the funeral home, have a seat in the waiting room and see if you don't feel better.   At least recovery would be cheaper.

What do you reckon the Hospital figures their job is, to knock you in the head and put you out of your misery?   :D

Furby

Now a days one might think so Tom, what with some of the things ya hear about on the news and stuff. ::)

OneWithWood

CK, while you are sitting in front of the puter do a google search on Brown Recluse.  You will know what to watch for.  Pamper yourself a bit and do what the doc tells ya.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

rebocardo

> they asked me if my HEART STOPPED did I want them to try to REVIVE me!!!  "DANG RIGHT"

Ya had me on the floor with that one.

You should have told them if you wanted to die you would not be at the hospital :D

palmerstreeservice

CK,

Talking about wheter you wanted to be revieved....

I responded to an ambulance call for an elderly lady who was very sick.  We took her to the hospital and while at the hospital one of the nurses was asking her husband if his wife had a DNR (do not ressesitate) paper filled out.  I sat there making small talk with him as the doctors and nurses worked on his wife and he says to me..... after looking around at all these good lookin nurses here if my heart stops I want to know that I had atleast one of them touchen my chest and another KISSEN ME.

I was trying to not laugh out of professionalism but I could hardly contain myself.

Thank You Sponsors!