iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

230D timberjack project

Started by ilog4u2, January 17, 2015, 11:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilog4u2

Well... I bought myself a project, it is my first older timberjack. I got it home and put it in the shop, full of leaves ,sticks and grease! It had no brakes, crank seal leak, cab was full of debris, overall a mess. I've spent many hours already cleaning and fixing. I've so far enjoyed myself with keeping busy at it because I have no logs to cut right now.

Mooseknuckle

Congrates with joining Team Timberjack !!!   I'm currently going to town on a 65 TJ 230. Great little project thats going to operate and look sweet when finished.  Just taking my time as its a new beast to me!!
Pioneer P51 is look'n for a Buddy!!

ilog4u2

Thanks Mooseknuckle!...my pics seem to be distorted (stretched), this is a '77, the tires are actually 18.4/34's but they look funny in the pics ; :D , I just came in from outside, power washing for 4 hrs..Big improvement, it finally warmed up today above freezing for the first time since I got it home.

Lumberjohn

Looks terrific from what I can see of it. Definitely not a basket case.

ilog4u2

Definitely not. It was an everyday user,but it was in need of lots a love! Gear lube getting into the brake assembly and also the front driveshaft seals leaking slinging 80-90  all over. I pulled the winch off so I could do the repairs easier.

ilog4u2

thecfarm

Looks good.
@ilog4u2, Are these pictures from a phone? If they are I'm no help. But there is a crop and rotate under each picture where you add the picture to a post.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ilog4u2

Ipad... My dad used to say..(too  soon old, too late smart)

David-L

Easy on and Easy off, right axles and planetaries under that machine. Nice find and good luck. cant' wait to hear about the progress. Pics are great for us Jack fans.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

ilog4u2

Thanks David! I,ve learned a lot already from you just by ready your posts. This skidder has an Allison automatic transmission. I have a guy coming to adjust the rack on it today.

Neilo

For the transfer case, a NP200 rebuild kit will work if you need one. If just seals, those from NP205 fit, or just buy on size.

ilog4u2

Thanks Nielo, I was able to find parts and I've already got the transfer case resealed and a new brake kit and wheel cylinder installed. I forgot to take pics of it before I put it back together. ;D. I also relined the parking brake, so it's all new and clean.

lopet

Congratulations to your " new " jack.  But as nobody else has asked, what's the story with that deere in your avatar ?
Or did I miss anything ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

ilog4u2

The 340D? That's my baby! , I've been skidding with that one. Very nice running and working skidder.

lopet

Uuuuh, a 340 D, I think that would be a hot seller on this forum, and pretty sharp looking too.  Got some more pics ?
But now i have to ask again , why a old jack ?  ;D   Just because you always wanted one ? Cheap back up skidder ? Or looking for a fixer upper ? Sorry about all the questions, just curious.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

ilog4u2

Uhh... Pretty much all of the above.. :D, this skidder comes with a story... So I'm gonna fix it up really nice, drag some wood and see how I like it. I'm very tall and getting old. Everyone says I'll love the one step up and in, plus it has more HP than the 340. There are 2 more pics of the deere in my gallery. One is before I painted it.

tantoy

Love the look of the older 225, 230 with the tall 34" rubber. I could see my self dragging one home for my next project if I found one close/priced right.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

sandersen

Great project...I'm restoring a 66 230c. Lotta fun.  I sense a movement in restoring old cable skidders much like restoring old tractors.  Well worth it for sure.  Good luck.
"Make every step count."

ilog4u2

I think it's definitely worth it! ,and I think your right. Because of the price of new stuff, you can put a lot of time, effort and money into one and it does the same job. Even new equipment breaks down. Also you really get to know it when you do your own repairs.

ilog4u2

I'm considering swapping out the 353 Detroit with a 4bt. Has anyone on FF have any experience with doing one? I'm just not a fan of the leaky,noisy Detroit. I got a chance to drag some wood with it, powerful and fast. This skidder is an automatic,Allison transmission. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

so il logger

I have heard of it done before. One thing that comes to mind would be will your existing torque work? The variations of engines may not allow it to lock up as soon as it would with the detroit  ??? And it may work fine but definately a question worth looking into. I put a larger muffler on my jack with the 353 and it made it a whole lot quieter.

ilog4u2

I've been working on the 230, Too cold for me lately. I pulled the Detroit out today too. It either has to be resealed or I'm gonna put the 4BT in.

lopet

Do you need a different bell housing to mate the 4bt ?

ilog4u2

The 4BT that I have has the proper adapter plate for the Allison. My bigger concern right now is the motor mounts. I'm Not clever enough to think of something on my own, so I'd like to find some pics or maybe a parts diagram of when timberjack started using these. ( if they ever did)... Also the drive line for the hydraulic pump.

MT logger

I had an 1988 240A with the 4bta it was a 3 speed power shift  I don't remember the make. I converted a Garrett 21 to a 4bt last spring, the hardest part was finding a new position for every thing. I plan on converting a 230d with 4speed next.

Thank You Sponsors!