iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alternative for powered raising saw head on LT25

Started by AnthonyW, September 02, 2015, 07:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

You can turn the output shaft with your fingers when disconnected.
Remember that you can use a 24v motor on your unit. But it will only run around 1/2 speed.
But there is 12 volt wheelchair motors out there.
You could also just buy the gearbox off a wheelchair and put a 12v c-face motor on it.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

69bronco

Anthony, have you figured the torque to raise the 25 yet?

Kbeitz

Quote from: 69bronco on September 14, 2015, 09:23:44 AM
The torque depends on your speed....
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

69bronco

So to figure how many in.lbs you will need in a motor, you have to know the speed? You lost me there, but that's not hard to do sometimes!

Kbeitz

You lost me....

You need more torque to move the mill head fast. A watch motor could move it if you move it slow enough.
It takes more Hp to make more torque to make more speed.

Wheel chair motors come in all sizes,...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

AnthonyW

Quote from: Kbeitz on September 14, 2015, 07:29:17 PM
You lost me....

You need more torque to move the mill head fast. A watch motor could move it if you move it slow enough.
It takes more Hp to make more torque to make more speed.

Wheel chair motors come in all sizes,...

Torque is inch-pounds. No dependency on time. Horsepower is torque per time. More horsepower means the torque can be applied for a longer time (think of the power a horse can provide...before it gets tired).

'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

jmouton

is that one horse power then :D :D :D :D

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

AnthonyW

Quote from: 69bronco on September 14, 2015, 09:23:44 AM

I think some disassembly and clean-up may be in order.

I followed https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,16775.20.html reply #22.

The center to center distance from the drive sprocket to the crank handle is 5.5" and took 2 1/2 gallons of water to move the handle from the 1:00 to the 5:00 position. At 8.34 lbs/gal and 5.5", it required 115 inch-pounds to move the handle. To raise the head 30 inches in 30 seconds (or 1" per second which is about the rate I can crank it) would require a 1/2HP motor when connected in direct drive. Adding a gear box or gear reduction to the system will decrease the HP requirement. Adding a 4:1 gear box to the 1/2HP would provide a 4x safety margin. The next factor is the current draw. Slower motor rotation requires more current. Increasing the gear ratio will allow the motor to run proportionally faster while decreasing the current requirement.

I think it would be most effective to pull the sprockets off the mast and check and clean the bearings.

AnthonyW

Quote from: jmouton on September 14, 2015, 09:30:18 PM
is that one horse power then :D :D :D :D

jim

Nothing to laugh at. That's where the term horsepower came from; the amount of work a horse can do in a given amount of time before it got tired.

69bronco

Thanks for clearing that up, thought I was losing it there for awhile!

Ljohnsaw

Horsepower:
A unit that is used to measure the power of engines and motors. One unit of horsepower is equal to the power needed to lift 550 pounds one foot in one second. This unit has been widely replaced by the watt in scientific usage; one horsepower is equal to 745.7 watts.

And:
This term was coined by James Watt, who invented a new type of steam engine in the eighteenth century. Watt found that the horse could do a certain amount of work per second; when he sold his steam engines, this measurement allowed him to estimate the worth of an engine in terms of the number of horses it would replace. Therefore, a six-horsepower engine was capable of replacing six horses.

However:
1806, established by Watt as the power needed to lift 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute, which is actually about 1.5 times the power of a strong horse.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!