iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Hydraulics

Started by nas, April 09, 2010, 06:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgreen

You did check the oil level right?  Cause low fluid and a leak will cause your problem every time.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

WH_Conley

Changed filter, drained system, put in thinner oil. At the suggestion of a neighbor took apart the by-pass valve and cleaned it. Same thing. The neighbor has a hydraulic shop, supposed to be here this morning with his test equipment.
Bill

backwoods sawyer

Check the ground conection on the pump and clean the paint off from under it where the strap bolts to the box.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

pnyberg

WH,  did you solve this problem? 

Thanks,
    Peter
No longer milling

Bibbyman

Quote from: Magicman on April 10, 2010, 09:22:08 PM
My WM Super Hydraulic mill has 5246 hours on it, and the brushes & motors are original.  Maybe the higher HP hydraulic motors (2) make a difference  ???  That's why I was surprised.  I thought they all lasted like that..... ;)

The brushes on the first motor on our 2002 Super went out at a bit over 1500 hours.  We had new brushes put in by motor shop.  The brushes in the second motor went out before 2000 hours.  Same thing.  They both lasted about another 500 hours each with the motor shop brushes.  This time the armatures were worn too much to replace the brushes.  That's when we looked at the cost of new motors or to replace them with an external power pack.  We chose to go to a power pack.  Not an option for many people.

I'm not sure what makes the difference between your mill and ours that the motors on your mill are still holding up.  Maybe I "bumped" the valves a lot more.  I suspect starting the motor takes the heaviest toll on the brushes.  Just a guess.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WH_Conley

Yep, replaced the entire pump assembly. Works as good as it ever did. The whole pump and motor cost less than motor by its self. The only thing left was to replace the pump body. That also cost more than the complete package. Anybody need a motor, I have extras.
Bill

isawlogs

What  year is your mill . ???  I'd be interested in the motor ifin it would fit mine.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WH_Conley

97 LT40HD. I have to go back down to the mill later, I will look and see what brand.
Bill

isawlogs

Mines a '93 I doubt that it would fit unless it can be retrofitted.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WH_Conley

Monarch is the brand name of the power unit.
Bill

isawlogs

I'll check with WoodMizer and see if that would fit.

Marcel

woodyone.john

So now my brushes are kaput. '99 40 super twin monarch pumps kiwi $500 + tax +freight each per motor to replace Has anybody done the build/make your own brushes mod yet.I would love to hear about this. our local franchisee says he has some some place but it sounds like hes looking for some one whose real desperate. :P :-X cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Magicman

My local alternator/starter repair shop rebuilt mine.  Bearings, two new brush rack assemblies and an armature that was fried when the brushes failed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodyone.john

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: woodyone.john on March 25, 2013, 03:05:54 AM
So now my brushes are kaput. '99 40 super twin monarch pumps kiwi $500 + tax +freight each per motor to replace Has anybody done the build/make your own brushes mod yet.I would love to hear about this. our local franchisee says he has some some place but it sounds like hes looking for some one whose real desperate. :P :-X cheers john

Bummer, sounds expensive :(

I just pulled my two pumps/motors apart and gave them a BIG clean out.
The brushes were ok, but bearings not so flash, they were a simple off the shelf part if that helps ($7 each from memory)

Would love to know how you get on in case I have to go down the same path :(

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

woodyone.john

Justin,found some one who can make new brushes to suit.approx$100/motor If they were ordered by the 100 they would be much cheaper.Makes me wonder why WM and or it agencies dont do that and hold them in stock.I will need to solder them to the sub assembly.

terrifictimbersllc

Just had my LT40 Super Monarch (bosch) motors rebuilt last week at the 1500 hours point.  One had brushes all shot, the other, one out of the four brushes was just about gone. For both the repair was  1) new bearings 2) new brushes 3) turn down the armature small diameter which contacts the brushes.  I think if this isn't turned the new brush life will be much shorter than it should be.  Cost was $190 for one at an electric shop and $85 for another at a starter place.  The electric shop didn't have enough brushes to do both so I took the second one to the starter place. He had to order new brushes but got them overnight. They were a bit shorter than those from the electric shop.    Now the motors are running side by side and I get to see who's fix was best.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

woodyone.john

New bushes cost $25 including tax. got them made with 6 inch tails. soldered them on to the other tailsafter sleeving them.nowthe whole hydraulic system is together again with new oil,and working well. cheers john

Chuck White

Great to hear that John, happy sawing!  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Good job John.   smiley_thumbsup  Sometimes we just have to do what we have to do.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!