iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

And THE ADVENTURE BEGINS!

Started by Deese, August 22, 2013, 12:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deese

Thanks WDH for the feedback. I've never sold my own lumber before and wasn't sure about pricing this stuff. Still haven't made my mind up yet  :-\
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

mesquite buckeye

If you want to keep this guy trusting you, price it fairly. If he finds out later he paid too much, he won't be back. :o
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on December 16, 2013, 09:46:40 AM
If you want to keep this guy trusting you, price it fairly. If he finds out later he paid too much, he won't be back. :o

Very good advice. Sell your lumber at a fair price based on competition around you and the quality of how your lumber turns out.
Slabs are a different ball game. A "plain Jane grain" slab may sell for $3/Bf and up depending on species.
But if a particular slab has a highly unusually grain with lots of character and has a bookend to go with it.......the sky is the limit. There are no Blue Book values on slabs.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Deese

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on December 16, 2013, 09:46:40 AM

Oh, absolutely. I would NEVER take advantage of anyone and that wasn't my intention. I'm just not confident in my ability to price this stuff. I want to go with whatever is the normal going rate for this area...If $3 is the rate, then I'm perfectly fine with that.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Poston and Mesquite,
Is $3/bf about what you charge for your cedar lumber?
Cooks AE4P Edger

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Deese on December 16, 2013, 10:08:30 AM
Poston and Mesquite,
Is $3/bf about what you charge for your cedar lumber?

Deese.....in my area, I can't get but $1.50 BF for Cedar Lumber.

If I sell Cedar slabs with live edge and the wood has no rot in the grain and the width is consistent ......I can get as much as $100-$200 a slab on a 2 inch thick x 16 - 23 wide inch x 8 foot.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Deese

Hmmm....
Now if we could just figure out how to make our slabs do this smiley_divide
Cooks AE4P Edger

mesquite buckeye

My red cedar has gotten used up at home as fast as I have been cutting it. ;D

$3 sounds good to me for regular 4/4 stuff if you can get it.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Deese

I told him $3 today and he almost fainted.

Just Kidding  :) He said that's fine with him. He is supposedly coming to see my setup and load his boards one day this week.
I am super excited because I know he is going to be pleasantly surprised when he sees the quality of my lumber  smiley_really_happy
Cooks AE4P Edger

mesquite buckeye

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Deese

I cut a 30"+ pine log last night. I had to bibby it down with the chainsaw to make it fit on the mill. The log yielded 28 total boards consisting of 2x6, 2x8, 2x10, and 2x12. No nails and no knots  smiley_beertoast

You can see the pile of slabs on the ground on the left side of the second picture. I had to remove those 2" slabs so that i could turn it for the second face opening cut.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Thank You Sponsors!