iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turbo 747 Blade Question

Started by Tarheel, December 13, 2019, 10:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheel

Hi y'all, 

I just bought a new LT40 wide with 38HP Kohler engine. I'm running the 747 Turbo blades and I'm getting significant rippling on the board surface. Am I going too slow? My mill has 4 hours on it, so the blade tension has been recently set, and I've only tested it out on 34" wide maple and resawing 24" wide dry white oak. 

For reference, for the last eight years, I've run a 1994 LT40 with 4 degree blades and have not had many rippling issues. I definitely learned my pacing from that machine. On the new machine, I was instructed to pace myself by listening to when the engine has a little pull on it and hold it there. With that 34" wide maple, though, when I got rippling on the surface, it's hard to believe that I would still need to speed up to twice the speed I was used to on my old machine. 

Any advice welcome. Thanks!

Bruno of NH

I have the same mill and run the 747 and 7 turbo
I get the same ripples 
I still run 4° when I'm doing some high end slabs.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

What thickness are the bands?  
When I ran .045 Turbos on my 40, the finish was not acceptable.

When I switched to .055 Turbos the finish was significantly better and is my standard band now. 

I had a box of 747 x .055x 1.5" x 195" delivered a couple days ago, and will run them next week, in some maple and walnut.  See how they do.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

terrifictimbersllc

I will be interested to hear . So far I've only used 1-1/2 055 195" turbos on my new mill. Yesterday a bunch of 30-34 wide cuts in RO and maple, frozen. Very smooth but when starting to dull really wide will bog down 55hp if not careful. Don't want to add another blade profile but if 747s can go faster I might.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bruno of NH

YH
The 747 in .55 do cut much better 
I only have 5 at the moment and they are at Resharp 
My others are .45
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Tarheel

Thanks for advice. I spoke with someone at Woodmizer who said that washboarding can occur with the 747s on wider hardwood slabs. He also recommended leaning into the speed a little more. I was running the .045 x 1 1/4 x 171. I ordered some 4 degree blades just to have for wider hardwood cuts and a smoother finish. Glad I caught it before a client comes next week to resaw a kiln-dried curly walnut beam for veneer!

Thank You Sponsors!