iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS290 Coil bolt holes

Started by ZeljkoJ, November 17, 2020, 10:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZeljkoJ

Hi everyone, newbie here.

Several years ago i purchased a Stihl MS-290 new at the dealer. My first saw and i loved it and love the Stihl products. It was used very little in comparison of what it was designed for. I mainly cut firewood for my house and cleared few small areas for my friends.

Only problem i had was the coil wire broke by the spark plug cap. Because it's all one peace I purchased a new coil and a whole tune-up kit. Everything was replaced and cleaned up and it started write up and ran beautifully. After turning it off and attempting to restart it, it wouldn't. Later i found out that the coil module has moved and is unable to be tightened to maintain the gap because the threads in the coil bolt holes were striped. I know i didn't over tighten the bolts but maybe i did and i striped the threads.

I tried bunch of different ways to tighten it, but with all the vibration it never stays in place and the coil magnet just sticks its self to the flywheel.

Any suggestions what to fix the striped threads with? I tried different epoxy and larger bolts and nothing held. If i cant fix it i might need to buy a used or new engine housing from e-bay or amazon. Don't want to come close to spending more on it than it's worth.

Thanks

Z.

Happysawer

You can use a helicoil kit, they can be found at many supply sites, just google  helicoil .

I have used them many times back when i was a working pissant.

ZeljkoJ

I am not sure. I think i will take the coil out again and look if it allow the space for one. One of the wholes is above the fuel tank so that might be an issue.

I will look at it again hopefully tomorrow.  I hope it can work. Biggest issue is being to hold everything solid as it holds the gaping for the coil.

Real1shepherd

Steel insert like E-Z Lok. They even have thin-wall inserts if you don't have a lot of surrounding meat.

I've been using them for 15yrs or so....best bang for the buck. They use standard taps and you can fashion an insert tool from just a screwdriver.

Time Serts are the best, but they require specialized taps & tools. Just two holes may cost you $100 to set up.....foolish unless you're doing LOTS of holes.

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!