iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a moisture meter

Started by JFarmer, June 30, 2012, 03:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JFarmer

I have been looking at some of the moisture meters that Bailey's has online. I was just wondering if anyone has used any of these and if so how good they work. Or if there is any others out there that you would recomend. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

bama20a

Was also hoping you would get some info on the meters,I two would like to hear what everyone is using :(
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Den Socling

Those meters at Bailey's don't impress me. Pin type meters with short pins give you a reading from the shell only. You need hefty pins in a hefty case to read 4/4. For anything thicker than 4/4, you need a slide hammer. Look at something like the J-2000. http://www.delmhorst.com/Moisture-Meters/Flooring-Wood-Products/Industrial-Mill/J-2000 If you don't want holes in your wood and you want to spend some money, look at something like this. http://www.wagnermeters.com/l620.php

Bill Gaiche

L620 Digital Moisture Meter, nice but, $920.00. bg

WDH

I have a pinless wagner and it works great.  But, it costs about $400.  You do get what you pay for in moisture meters.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

I've got the delmhorst Den linked to. Real accurate but I'd rather have a pinless one.

red oaks lumber

i've got a small pin type lignomat i use for quick referance , for more accurate testing i use my hammer type delmhorst  meter.
how much money you are willing to spend should be based on the importance of accuracy.you get what you pay for.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

scsmith42

I have a Delmhorst J2000X, and Merlin pinless that reads 1-1/2" deep.  Both are great meters.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Kansas

See what Timberking has these days. We got a short pin one from them. No, its not perfect, but its cheap. When we really need to know the moisture on thick lumber, keep a couple of poor quality boards in the kiln and just cut one apart and check it from the inside out. We usually just find one that has a knot in the pile anyway and cut it apart there. Seems like short boards usually sell for us anyway. I think the short pin one works fine in 1" lumber. Its the thick stuff that is the problem, and that is how we solve it.

doctorb

I'll have to look and see what brand I own, but I think the application of the readings is what's key to buying a moisture meter.  If you are just interested in seeing how your firewoood seasoning is going, use a cheaper model with short pins and split a piece of firewood before measuring the inside surface.  If you are putting in flooring or doing woodworking, you may need more accuracy and a more expensive meter is probably necessary.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Tom L

I have a wagner that I purchased thru woodmizer, descent meter reads deep into the wood.
cost a bit but I am happy with it.

OneWithWood

I have a Delmhorst R2000, a Delmhorst J2000 and a Lignomat pinless.  I use a slide hammer with long pins with the R2000 for 8/4.   The J2000 has pins that will reach the interior of a 4/4 board.   The pinless comes out when I just want to check lumber in the shop.  You can use a slide hammer a J2000 but I like being able to check one meter against the other at times.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

porcupine

Quote from: Tom L on July 05, 2012, 10:16:26 AM
I have a wagner that I purchased thru woodmizer, descent meter reads deep into the wood.
cost a bit but I am happy with it.
I bought the same unit from WM. Performs as advertised. Satisfied customer.
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

JFarmer

Thanks for all the comments. They have been very helpful. If anyone else has any info, please leave a comment, thanks. :)
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

Cedarman

I use a pinless Wagner.  It is good for 4/4 and thinner.  I don't know how accurate it is, but what I know is that it reads 12% for air dried under normal circumstances.  It reads 8 to 9% after we dry in the drying room.  What I need is consistency.  I know if it reads 8 to 9 then it is as dry as it needs to be.
But this for ERC.  I have no idea how well it will do on other woods.
Have had it for 15 years and even dropped it a couple times. 
Always works and even has a low battery light that works.
Cedar is more forgiving moisture wise than other woods so I don't have to be perfectly accurate.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

YellowHammer

I've used a few different ones, basically went from dirt cheap to eventually more than I wanted to spend :D. The Delmhorst J2000X with hammer is the one I have settled on, as it consistently matches my oven dried/weighed kiln samples of wood.  Not cheap, not the most expensive, but so far, a very good meter.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!