iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM tension on Cooks blades

Started by petefrom bearswamp, July 18, 2010, 06:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Anyone out there using Cooks super sharp on their WM?
I bought 30 last year (.042, 10*) to try some  and had problems running them at WM specs for .042 blades. Kept breaking at the weld.
Cooks gave me credit for the 10 that broke and i had them re- sharpen some to use the credit up.
The first one i tried from them that had been sharpened broke at the weld on the third log.
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

I know nothing about Cook's tension specifications, but in my opinion, no properly welded band should break at the weld regardless of the tension.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I agree with MM.

I would think that any band, regardless of brand name would stand up to even the highest tension setting on an LT40.

That weld joing is supposed to be just as strong as any spot in the rest of the band.

Did you ask Cook's about tension specs?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gator gar

When you to a weld test down here on pipe, they'll cut out strips perpendicular to your weld and put it a machine and pull those strips til they pull apart. It should break anywhere BUT the weld. Same should apply to a blade.

ladylake

I haven't heard any wide spead trouble with Cooks blades breaking at the weld, most likely you got a bad batch, maybe a rookie welding them up.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

petefrom bearswamp

I have been on the phone several times with Cooks.
they are at a loss and also cannot give me tension specs for my WM.
Also I have only been 3 blades down in the box of 10 they sharpened and 2 of them are only touched on the backs of the teeth and on the face of the tooth no grinding evident in the gullet.
I'll check the rest and call cooks tomorrow. Hopefully they will address my problems.
Makes a man want to drink (more)
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

paul case

i havent yet had any problems with the blades from cooks on my ez boardwalk mill except that every time i put one on i hit metal.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ladylake

If the first sharpening doesn't hit the whole gullet it's no big deal, a lot of mine are like that, no sence in grinding off more than needed to get them sharp . By the 2nd or 3rd sharpening it should be hitting the whole gullet.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Pete, could be guide or alignment problem try a different brand of band,but that many breaking at the weld smacks of poor welding or annealing.Try less tension.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!