iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

newbie questions 1220TK or Boardwalk 40 or Boardwalk Jr

Started by DDobbs, July 16, 2012, 04:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDobbs

I spoke with Ed (EZ Boardwalk) this afternoon wow what a good guy to talk to!

Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Greg Brown

Welcome DDOBBS to the forum.

Forget all of 'em and get a Norwood!!!!!!!
Norwood MX34 Pro,  Massey- Ferguson 175

DDobbs

I am sure the norwood is a nice saw just built a bit far from me. I can get parts from anyone of the ones I listed overnight without extra cost.

I can go to any of them in less than 4 hours. So no shipping cost other than my time an fuel.
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: DDobbs on July 23, 2012, 12:05:44 AM
I am sure the norwood is a nice saw just built a bit far from me. I can get parts from anyone of the ones I listed overnight without extra cost.

I can go to any of them in less than 4 hours. So no shipping cost other than my time an fuel.

This is the same reason I am probably not going to get a Norwood. There is a WM shop about 3 hours from me which would be great for repairs that I can't do myself. I am looking at the exact same models you are, so please keep us all posted on what you decide to buy.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

hackberry jake

If you are planning on making money with it, go hydraulic. If you are sawing mainly for yourself, I would get the boardwalk. It's tough as nails and I now have 3 times more lumber than I'll ever use... Working on 4
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

opticsguy

I purchased a TK 1220.   Great machine, everything works perfectly and easy to use, safe to use and waaaaay too much fun!!!  I added one length of railing which i greatly recommend.  Even if you never cut 18'-20' logs, the extra room allows really easy placement of logs, you do not need to waste time trying to accurately fit a 12' log into a 12' space.

I did not need portability and only cut logs for myself. 

There is only one problem with the TK1220,  cant cut 48" diameter logs . . . . . . . . . .  :-)

Highly recommended. 
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

TroyC

Welcome! I'm a newbie here and purchased an EZ40 couple months ago. First mill, just hobby cutting for myself. It's all manual, but mill is tough as nails. Cuts wide and deep! Simple bullet proof design. No regrets. Great Honda engine. I did put jacks under it so I can move it easily. 10 minute setup and take down. Thick channel frame is heavy and easy to level. I use tractor grapple to load logs. No hydraulics so if that's what you need for production look elsewhere.

farmfromkansas

My neighbors have a TK 1600.  Nice mill and some hydraulics.  36" log capacity.  My Cooks MP32 has a 25hp engine, theirs is only a 20 hp, but can't really tell the difference, and they have hydraulic feed.  I would look at the EZ 40 because of the 40" log capacity. Do you already have a tractor or skidsteer for loading logs?
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!