iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NRCS

Started by Rhodemont, February 02, 2024, 06:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhodemont

My Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) plan to thin the forestland, promote Oak regeneration, and provide wildlife habitat while protecting water is in full swing.  The HydroAxe is out there getting it done.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Rhodemont

Forgot Pic and could not figure out how to add to original post.

rusticretreater

Interesting.  The image is sideways, but if you click on it the enlargement is displayed correctly.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

mjeselskis

Quote from: Rhodemont on February 02, 2024, 06:12:08 PMForgot Pic and could not figure out how to add to original post.
What NRCS practice? I'm getting ready for a crop tree release
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

Riwaka

Are there photographs online that show the longer-term results/ outcomes of this 'thinning' program, where it has been carried out previously?

Rhodemont

MJ, This project involves 2 practices: (655)Forest Trails and Landings; (666) Forest Stand Improvement which includes "Thinning for Wildlife and Forest Health" and "Small Patch Shelter Tree Clear Cuts" for oak regeneration and wildlife habitat.

Riwaka,  This is my first official thinning so I only have a vision of what it will look like. The Photo was taken at a 2 acre patch cut.  The balance thinning will be much less. 

AndyVT

Quote from: Rhodemont on February 03, 2024, 07:01:57 AMMJ, This project involves 2 practices: (655)Forest Trails and Landings; (666) Forest Stand Improvement which includes "Thinning for Wildlife and Forest Health" and "Small Patch Shelter Tree Clear Cuts" for oak regeneration and wildlife habitat.

Riwaka,  This is my first official thinning so I only have a vision of what it will look like. The Photo was taken at a 2 acre patch cut.  The balance thinning will be much less.
I am interested in the same kind of program as yours. I tried looking it up on the NRCS site using the info in your post but nothing came up. What program specifically did you ask for when applying?

Rhodemont

There is a lot of Government paperwork involved. You need to contact your district NRCS office and have a planner come out and talk abut what you want to do.  The planner will call in help as needed to look at your land and see what practices may apply to you.  Then the paperwork starting with an application starts.  NRCS ranks projects each year based on available funding and your significance against those that have applied.  Rankings ar done in the spring s you mna gothrough the effort and not get funded/ or you may. If funded the heav paperwork kicks in.  When all is signed off you have a couple years to complete the practices in order to get funded.  BTW, funding counts as taxable income.

AndyVT

Quote from: Rhodemont on February 05, 2024, 04:47:02 PMThere is a lot of Government paperwork involved. You need to contact your district NRCS office and have a planner come out and talk abut what you want to do.  The planner will call in help as needed to look at your land and see what practices may apply to you.  Then the paperwork starting with an application starts.  NRCS ranks projects each year based on available funding and your significance against those that have applied.  Rankings ar done in the spring s you mna gothrough the effort and not get funded/ or you may. If funded the heav paperwork kicks in.  When all is signed off you have a couple years to complete the practices in order to get funded.  BTW, funding counts as taxable income.
Well sounds like more complication than I want to deal with; thanks for the complete explanation.

Texas Ranger

And there are occasional hooks that some find unacceptable.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Rhodemont

Over the years I have had several plans ranging from cattle fence to horse fence to pasture development to forestry. Like any other business practices you need to learn the paperwork and how to speak their language.  Once you do that things move easily.  It also helps to have a GOOD planner who is your point of contact.  I also believe you can not look at it as a way of making $ but as a means to offset the cost of doing things in a conservation mind. With the funds you receive (after work is completed) you can either pay those you hired to do the work or put it in the bank if you did it yourself.

mjeselskis

Quote from: Rhodemont on February 05, 2024, 04:47:02 PMThere is a lot of Government paperwork involved. 
I'll second that. Is a multi year, serious paperwork drill and you have to be very patient with the whole process.
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

Thank You Sponsors!