iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Texting death

Started by WV Sawmiller, August 20, 2015, 09:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

All,

We see ads everywhere reminding us not to text or use cell phones while driving. They are for real.

A good friend of mine down in Florida where I grew up was apparently texting someone Tuesday and rear ended another car and was killed.

He and his brother used to help us with the family business when we were teens. His mom, dad, sister, and wife run a small business there and provide a real valuable service to the community. He was the one my 85 y/o mom and my brother turned to for any car repair and other odd jobs nobody else ever seemed able to handle. He was in his late 50s and we'd have thought he knew better but it only takes one careless minute.

Please remember and don't drive while you are distracted or let your loved ones do so.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

This is one of my pet peeves. Here in Florida cell use while driving is not a primary offense. Everyone does it, nobody cares. You cannot be pulled over for cell phone/texting and can only be ticketed if there is another offense first.

Couple months ago a woman was yacking on her cell not paying attention and made a left turn in front of my bike. Anyone that rides knows left turns is the number 1 way Bikers are killed I was able to lock it up and skid around the back of her car almost laying the bike down. My saddle bag actually rubbed her bumper.

So being the calm guy I am I took off after her catching up in a 7-11 parking lot. She was still talking and didn't see me standing at the drivers door so I knocked [I'm sure a body shop was able to get the steel toes dents out of her door] The conversation didn't go well [she never stopped talking on the cell] so I walked away accidentally knocking her side mirror off.{same body shop can fix that too]. 1 car pulled up and told me they saw her turn in front of us. Said  they thought for sure we were going to crash.

My Lady friend was white as a ghost, shaking and couldn't catch her breath, she said that was the closest she's ever come to being killed.

ironically I was wearing a T-shirt that says "would you drive better with that cell phone shoved up your a**

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sawguy21

That would get you a court date here. Could you not have her charged with leaving the scene or driving without due care and attention? You have a witness.
I had a couple of bikes in my youth but just don't have the nerve to ride anymore. Reaction times are not what they used to be.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sandhills

My 16 year old daughter lost a close friend because the driver was texting, she won't even answer her phone while she's driving now, that's just fine with me.  You can always look back to see what was missed when you stop and call or text then, I'm proud of her for that.  I hate driving in cities anymore, no one seems to be watching the road, they're all looking down.

pine

There has been an on-going long term campaign to stop DUI that has lasted in excess of the last 50 years that has had less than the desired impact.  Drunk driving accident deaths are still at tremendous levels.

Texting while driving has been picked up as the new campaign.  In some states it is a primary offense but even then I see at least 25% of the drivers on city streets that have a phone up to their ear.  That doesn't even include the texters that are looking into their laps/hands.   On the interstates it is a bit better but still...................

The age old problem of you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.  Some folks just don't get it and the rest of us are the ones that end up paying for it.

Bibbyman

I see, mostly young women, get in their car,  fire it up, put it in gear,  then get out their cell phones.   I wonder how many are now on permanent disability due to their necks being bent over to their shoulder pinching the phone between their ear and sholder?

I don't get many cell phone calls but do get text messages.  I won't answer any while driving.   Text messages can wait.  I'll sometimes pull off to see who called and it it needs a call back.  Sometimes I hand my phone to Mary.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Raider Bill

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 20, 2015, 10:49:51 AM
That would get you a court date here. Could you not have her charged with leaving the scene or driving without due care and attention? You have a witness.
I had a couple of bikes in my youth but just don't have the nerve to ride anymore. Reaction times are not what they used to be.

Around here even if a Cop saw it chances are nothing would have happened. They are simply too busy shagging calls for service.

Chuck White

Here in New York, along the throughways they have "TEXT STOPS" (for real) for those who can't wait!

Just pull off the highway and view your texts and reply!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

doctorb

My daughter lost a high school friend to texting while driving.  Crossed the center lane and the oncoming car had to swerve to her left into his original lane to avoid him, leaving the road and striking a tree.  She was in the hospital for months with injured from head to toe.  He never made it there.

Like Mark Twin said...Common sense ain't that common.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

There is no counting the instances that we saw on our PR trip.  Sometimes they will slow to a crawl in front of you and then blow by you, only to slow down again.  The danger is frightening.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goose63

Up here thy see you doing it you get a ticket
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

It all depends upon how the state's laws are written.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

I think you handled it well, Raider Bill, and the yacker got off easy.
Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

good driving,especially with someone on the back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Here in New York, if you get caught 3 times, you WILL lose your license!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ianab

Same here, the fine isn't huge, but it racks up the demerit points. 40 I think. Get 100 in 2 years and it's loss of licence for 3 months.

My business partner had a close call on his way home a few years back. Teenage girl was on her phone and came around a 70k corner in front of him @ ~140k. He pulled into the gravel as she went past sideways in his lane and collected a power pole sideways. Badly broken legs etc.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

gww

First, I am sorry for any pain involved to people.  Reading this thread, I have a much differrent view then most.  When violent vidio games were sited as a factor in a school shooting and there was a big push to stop them, I reconized the pain of those involved but did not think that those who played and caused no trouble should also be punnished. 

Most of these laws that try to stop poeple from doing what they are going to do anyway are just revenue generators more then actually stoping problims.  Making rules against things that people do just cause problims for some that had no problim before.

If you hurt people, you should be punished and the person hurt didn't deserve it, however, If you have not hurt anyone, you don[t deserve to be punnished.

Our drug laws are a perfect example.  We let murderers out cause of overcrowding of prisons so we can have a war on drugs against poeple whos biggest crime is hurting themselves.

Just my honest veiw, and wishing all the best to all.

gww

Raider Bill

Seems as though more are dieing from texting and driving than driving drunk lately.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

Raider,

I think part of it is a sign of the times. Its been a long time coming but our laws and the social stigma attached to DUI is much harsher than someone texting. People need to really put their foot down, parents need to take phones, friends need to immediately stop their pals or get out of the car, etc.

Funeral was at 10:00 a.m. this morning. Whole family is devastated. He had a fuzzy mutt that went everywhere with him who survived the wreck but was totally lost when the family came to the site to pick him up rather than let animal control take over. They said the dog was pitiful looking but not finding.

Mom said the police required an autopsy which I can understand under the circumstances. Very hard on everyone who knew and loved him.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

starmac

The way I understand our state law, it is legal tp talk on a phone while driving (unless you are a truck driver), but texting is a 5,000 dollar fine.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

bama20a

Being I'm an over the road truck driver,I see it all the time,& I mean all the time.We have to have a hands free device,But not cars.had a state trooper beside me once & he was texting, He was on my left side & keep getting over to me, I went as far over as I could go because of a concrete wall, I had to get on my horn to make him move over back in his lane,He sure gave me a mean look >:(,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

4x4American

I too see LEO's texting and on the phoner in their cruisers frequently.  I would honk at them but figure it's not a smart idea to pith one of them off
Boy, back in my day..

red

Any law enforcement is an exception to the rule
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Chuck White

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 22, 2015, 03:31:41 PM
Raider,

I think part of it is a sign of the times. Its been a long time coming but our laws and the social stigma attached to DUI is much harsher than someone texting. People need to really put their foot down, parents need to take phones, friends need to immediately stop their pals or get out of the car, etc.

Funeral was at 10:00 a.m. this morning. Whole family is devastated. He had a fuzzy mutt that went everywhere with him who survived the wreck but was totally lost when the family came to the site to pick him up rather than let animal control take over. They said the dog was pitiful looking but not finding.

Mom said the police required an autopsy which I can understand under the circumstances. Very hard on everyone who knew and loved him.

Lots of places nowadays taking a childs cell phone away from them would rate right up there with child abuse!   :-\

pine

Quote from: red on September 01, 2015, 09:00:06 AM
Any law enforcement is an exception to the rule

Yes they are always the exception to so many laws. 
Does not make them any safer than others who do the same. 
Heard the excuse, they are trained for it and that is pure malarkey.

Magicman

I would think that with the adverse feeling in some locations about our law enforcement officials, that they would strive to be the rule rather than the exception.  To set good examples rather than be pointed out as bad examples.

Make no mistake, I hold law enforcement in high esteem, but I expect them to uphold that esteem.  Regrettably, some barrels still have a bad apple.

red

I just hope no one gets hurt because they are distracted  talking texting or eating a Cheeseburger
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!