iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Value of Life ??

Started by Magicman, September 03, 2015, 09:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Quote from: doctorb on September 06, 2015, 06:14:04 PMmost colonoscopies are performed under propofol sedation.  (yes, that's the Michael jackson drug).  Works well, very few side effects, very short acting.
Yes, that is what was used on me.  I know because that is the way he described it to me.  I insisted on one change which was that he wake me back up. ;) I am a cheap drunk because one squirt and I am out like a light.   smiley_sleeping

As a side note, I am not understanding much of anything concerning my health/dental "insurance", or better stated, lack thereof.   :-\

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I later thought about my above statement and want to add that it was not intended to cause this thread to drift off into anything controversial or political.  I am appreciating the exchange of thoughts and information regarding the decisions that are and will be made concerning our future health and treatment. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Lynn, I suppose in the end of it all if you want to have another roto rooter in 5 years you still can. Your insurance may not cover it but there is no reason you can't have one if you want it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

It is very disconcerting when one suddenly becomes aware-of and realizes that someone else is deciding what you will get for treatment or medicine, and that decision is based on age. No longer.. I have my insurance and have it paid up... but that in itself doesn't count for much.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

My dental has always paid 100% for semi-annual dental checkups and cleaning.  They paid less than ½ for the same procedure two weeks ago.  ?? 

Also less than ½ was paid for my recent medical Dr. visit and blood work.  There is no telling what the colonoscopy will cost. :o  I was confused as to why they did not want my Medicare card, only the insurance card.

petefrom bearswamp

My last procedure was on Dec 26th last yr because we were leaving for FL in 2 days, yes no Christmas dinner for me.
My next is according to my doc when I am 82.
Well see what he says then.
the first few i had were without anesthesia now i am out during.
The preparation is much worse than the actual procedure  IMO.
Lynn glad all is ok "down there"
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Thanks Pete.

My Mom had a Colonoscopy when she was 88 years old.  :o The Doctor "guaranteed" it for 10 years, but she told him that she was never going through that again.    :D

Peter Drouin

Just go in and put the money down MM.  They will do what you want. When you want.  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Lynn, glad to hear of your good report!  As to the value of life?  We had a very similar situation with my Uncle Jess in Feb. he was 90, with a failing heart, bad back, many other issues, so as you might figure they went the route of no treatment but staying as comfortable as possible.  I am glad he is not suffering any more, in 09' almost a carbon copy with my mother, so, I guess some folks and family have to endure some anguish for a time, and others not so much. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

doctorb

I feel that I'm more of a scientist than a conspiracy theorist.  I looked at the web site.  Lots of statements written as facts without much support.  I'm not saying that Vitamin B-17 isn't healthy for you or curative of something.  I'm just saying that we should let well-designed investigations speak for themselves.  A good example is the "vaccinations cause autism" sect.  Now completely debunked, and fully agreed upon by the autism foundations, but the controversy rages on.  Maybe I have too much faith in humanity, but I simply cannot accept that knowledgeable people would knowingly withhold a cure for cancer because of corporate profits.  So I am not joining the conspiracy.  I will not, however, criticize your beliefs if you become a member.  It's your choice.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

So @doctorb  what is your position on what Pete said "they" told him at U of M about eating anything from a microwave oven?   "They" have him convinced that if he eats anything cooked or heated in a microwave oven, it can add to his already overloaded radiation exposure level from his cancer treatments.  I debated this with him all weekend and I am convinced that whoever is feeding him this has done him a great disservice by complicating his life even more than it needs to be at this point.  I think the notion is pure Bull Puckey.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Jeff, here are a couple of links to that subject.  The bottom line answer is as you said; pure Bull Puckey

LINK and LINK

Jeff

I did my research when I first heard they told him that from my Sister a couple months ago. I already knew the answer but wanted to confirm it.  Problem is, they convinced him and he won't listen to me or her. Something about because U of M is a teaching hospital seems to make anything they tell him absolutely valid in his mind. I sure wish I knew who "they" was.  The same person has got him not allowing bacon in the same house, or allowing my sister to eat it with his knowledge.  I guess when you hold someones life in your hands, you have the power to make them believe things they might not under different circumstances.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doctorb

Jeff.  Sorry Pete has been put on a diet of ......   There are tons of non-documented, sometimes outlandish claims that come from people in the "medical" field.  And the science of it is often wrong as well.  Anybody remember when coffee was bad for you?  We do all kinds of really extreme things in our sickness and our health.  How about pregnant women and alcohol?  Now, let's be straight here, I'm not talking about binge drinking.  But in the USA, pregnant women are told not to drink when pregnant.  Where did all that come from?  It comes from the high rate of fetal alcohol syndrome in this country, which occurs when babies are exposed to the mother's high rate of alcohol consumption.  In France, where they drink wine 7 days a week with meals, they have a much lower rate of fetal alcohol syndrome than we do.  Wine is part of their culture and not avoided during pregnancy.  Moderation in all things seems to be the key.

Don't get me started on magnets either!!!  This could be its own topic and might run for years.  And, as has been said before, who is "they" who keeps repeating these things?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

I spent the afternoon with Pat in the ER.  She had gone to our surgeon for her pre-work before a colonoscopy, and they discovered high blood pressure, as in 230/117.  Anyway, two pills and an I V and it was down to 158/74 when we came home.  She will double up on her normal BP med and see the Dr. again Wednesday.

She complained of a headache and they did a brain scan which revealed that sometime in the past she had had (Tom) a slight stroke. ??  I guess that they can tell but we were not aware of it. ??  Anyway, we gotta get her BP under control.

Ljohnsaw

MM,
Wow, I'm glad Pat is doing better.  That's pretty high pressure - and a stroke at some point as well?  Could they tell how long ago?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

LeeB

Wow  :o That is high. You take care of Mrs Pat for us Lynn. Both of you are valuable folks whether your insurance thinks so or not.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Hope the BP meds keep it in check.. prayers for Pat and you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Shotgun

Prayers for Pat and Lynn. That's pretty high. Hope it gets under control.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Magicman

I really can not give a positive report.  We are now up to taking the BP pill 4 times daily.  We are documenting each BP reading as well as the times that the med is taken.  We are not seeing the BP reduction that we hoped for.

gfadvm

I hate to hear your bride is having problems. Don't hesitate to seek another opinion if you are losing confidence in her Dr. Putting her in our prayers.

Magicman

Thanks,  our "family Dr" gave up his practice last week which resulted in Pat going to another Dr.  This was probably a blessing in disguise.

doctorb

Magic - my best to Pat.  Keep battling.

I'm slowing down my practice this year and my patients will probably be saying the same thing about me!

Magicman

The BP is still up and down upper, and we have one more day of this record keeping.  She feels good, but I am ready for something to happen.

Thank You Sponsors!