iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting stacking sticks at the mill.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2018, 11:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

How do you guys cut stickers on the mill?  Do you mill boards all the same size and then stand them all up together and make cuts at 3/4?  It seems like it will be unsafe as I get down toward the bottom.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Rougespear

I always cut the thickness of the sticker first - usually I cut them at an even 1" as I'm opening new log faces.  I'll save these boards until I have several and then I'll stand them up on the saw deck vertically and cut down through them all on 1.5" increments.  This produces even-thickness stickers.  I have found cutting the 1.5" dimension first and then vertically sawing down every 1" is not the way to do it because it's harder to produce even-thickness stickers because the boards move slightly as I'm sawing down do the deck.

So cut the sticker thickness first, then width second - just my two cents.
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

kelLOGg

I cut my stickers 1" x 1" and from edgings. They are generally waste but I get long enough pieces to make stickers. When I have used an entire board for stickers I raise the squaring arm high enough for support and lower as I cut. That way I am not trying to stabilize the original width by clamping the bottom half inch.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

terrifictimbersllc

You can saw several boards stacked vertically, safely, down to 1" from the bed, if you observe several practices. 
1) use enough boards so the clamp is tightly clamping them.
2) have a fresh square edge on the bottom of all these boards, flip them over when half sawn, for example, so this happens. Have a helper hold the boards vertical, pressing down on either side of the clamp as you clamp them. 
3)  Clamp is low and tight to clear the last cut you have planned, so it doesnt have to be re-adjusted
4) the side supports are up enough to support the boards sideways against the force of the blade when the boards are taller, and are dropped as the cuts get lower.  
5) once the side supports are down, saw the last cut or two a bit slower to minimize sideways force 

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Kbeitz

I put all my  edgings in the bell saw edger.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave Shepard

I saw 5/4 boards, then stand them up on the mill and mill my 1" thickness. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

firefighter ontheside

This is basically what I had in mind.  I was just concerned that sawing the last couple of rows would be sketchy.  I will make sure it is all clamped well and take it slow toward the bottom.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Sixacresand

I use my "not so good" pine logs for stickers.  And I generate a lot of stickers from edging and resawing odd length lumber.    
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Southside

Notice the boxed pith in the photo by @POSTON WIDEHEAD  - that's just showing off!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jack S

It might be showing off but it still takes some skill in setup.  OK now lets see a picture from the other end that will really tell the story.     ;) ;) ;)

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

woodmills1

When I get an order for oak 2 or 1.5 material I edge the flitches on the mill, dropping an inch at a time.  It is surprizing how many stickers I get this way.  
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

firefighter ontheside

All great comments.  My dad will get less firewood, but great idea.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I just stacked and stickered a red oak and used stickers made from the side lumber of the same log.  Now every time I mill a log, I'll make some sticks from it too.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

firefighter ontheside

Noted.  I wouldn't call it green.  I've had these logs for over a year.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Peter Drouin

Well then wet on wet will make mold, stain, rot, junk. What it dose to me.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 02, 2018, 12:22:46 PM
Noted.  I wouldn't call it green.  I've had these logs for over a year.
I've had logs over 2-3 years and the MC be 30% on stickers from these logs.
Logs don't dry...lumber dries.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

firefighter ontheside

Thanks guys.  I'll start cutting some more sticks so I have dry ones to use with green logs, however long they've been down.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

YellowHammer

Stickers dry real fast, I've laid them out like carpets of noodles on the pavement in the summer and they would be baked dry in a few days.

Saw ahead, so there are dry stickers ready to be used for each job.  Good stickers make good wood.

There are few things more frustrating and shot in the foot costly than unstacking dried lumber only to see the dreaded zebra stripes. Sometimes, in some species, they will plane out.  Sometimes, they will not.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!