iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dry enough?

Started by D6c, April 06, 2021, 09:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

i've got a stack of burr oak slabs in the solar kiln that are about 2 1/2" thick

Checked today:
5.5% on the surface.
8.2% @ 1/4 thickness and 
9.6% @ center of slab

How much more drying do I need?

K-Guy

It looks to me that they would average 7-8% with what you posted.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Stephen1

I want my center to be 8's , 7's are better. But that is me. Before I had my own kiln I paid to have wood dried in an RF kiln. It was marked with 6 on the ends and 8-9-10's where they  they had probed it. That wood ended up moving in the counter top that I sold it for. They are my friends and so I see it when I visit. I remember that all the timewhen I'm deciding if the the wood is dry enough for the customer. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

During the wintertime in Ontario, the interior environment is likely 30% RH or maybe a bit drier.  That means the wood will be drying to 6% MC.  In the summer, we likely will see 9% MC as the interior is around 50% RH average.  As usually drying a bit more is much more of an issue than gaining a bit of moisture, we need to target about 6.8% MC coming out of the kiln.  That means also that the shell and core should be at that level.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!