iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 390 oil cap

Started by Lynwoo, April 15, 2021, 11:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynwoo

this to me seems like a really bad design.  I have ordered new caps and everything is fine until you realize  all your bar oil or gas just ran down  your leg.

My first stihl was a o28 that ran forever.  The 390 works perfect except  for the caps.

Is there something I may be overlooking?

Are the newer saws from stihl like this?  

Skeans1

All the newer Stihl saws are like this the husky design is a lot better being it still threads in.

Lynwoo

Quote from: Skeans1 on April 15, 2021, 11:37:19 PM
All the newer Stihl saws are like this the husky design is a lot better being it still threads in.
thanks for the heads up.  This is a somewhat trivial problem but a problem just the same.  
This will definitely factor into the second saw I am planing on buying as a backup.  Been running them for a lot of years with good results but if this problem persists I may get a new saw that has a screw in cap and using this one for the backup. 
Not knocking stihl but this does not seem like a better mousetrap. 

zippski

I agree.  I have both a MS 461 and a new MS 362.  All have the same new-style half-turn oil and gas caps. Don't get me wrong; I like the caps, but for some reason the 461's oil cap is super-finicky to get seated  You can fiddle with the thing for 15 seconds trying to get it to dog into place, and it looks totally sealed. Then you pick up the saw to heave it into the RTV, and a bunch of oil runs down your leg.  Couple that with a busted retainer cable and some day I will be missing a cap out in the field.  Just hasn't happened yet. 

Anyway, I  have closely inspected the defective cap and body threads and for the life of me, I can't see any difference between this cap and any of the other caps.

Leigh
zippski 
Leigh
zippski

sablatnic

I had the same problems with my 260 and 200, and I hate them, but the other day I had the 026 with me, with screw caps, and I hated them even more. 
Furthermore I suddenly remembered that neither the 200 nor the 260 have poured petrol or oil down my trousers recently. Am I just getting used to those lousy caps or is it age?

Guydreads

Make sure the caps have two lines on them lined up closely together. That's a newer version that doesn't leak

doc henderson

the whole cam position can get out of sink and it will not install right.  i like the scrench and threaded version.  simple is best if it works.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

lxskllr

I'm a fan of the flippy caps. No problems so far. A cap I really like is on my PoulanPro of all things. It's a threaded cap, but it has limited travel. When it bottoms out, it's on, and it's never too tight. Finger pressure will take it off.

Lynwoo

picked up the new caps at our local dealer.  These have a blue o ring.  Installed both and back in business.

Great saws but the caps are left wanting but there may be regulations for these like the newer gas cans.

I did pick up two extra caps.  Also there are two different sizes.

I hope I can find the spares when these go out.

Back to the woods tomorrow.

Spike60

For the life of me I can't understand why the engineers came up with such a complicated "solution" to the flippy cap idea or how stihl would sign off on the design. It required not just new caps, but new tanks and cases to accept them.

I'm obviously biased, but the Husky idea of simply designing a new cap without changing anything else makes a lot more sense. For guys that like them, they retro fit just about anything. I've got them on a 288. And they cost the same as a regular cap.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

thecfarm

Same reason John Deere tractors does not have a skid steer attachment on their loaders.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nebraska

Those flippy caps  are one reson why all my newer saws say Dolmar or Husqvarna.  

Lynwoo

update

Ran my saw today and refilled the bar chain oil and gas several times and all was well.  Looks Like its just another change to settle in for.

Also filled the gas and oil last night and stood  the saw upright.  End result  still full this morning. 

As I've said before the saw is seving well, just the caps.  In this day and age that is something to consider.

Also these new caps do have a line on the outside to ensure they are properly  aligned so this issue may resolve itself.

doc henderson

mine also have a little wedge to seat into a place to keep them from unscrewing when flipped closed.  if the caps are dirty hard to read the marks on them.  I look for the small cam of the three and line it up that way to put them in.  even then I have had them get out of sink.  not sure they needed improvement, let alone make them harder to use.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!