iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Service trailer setups

Started by gman98, April 17, 2021, 11:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Hello guys.  Not sure how popular it is down south but I know in the north service trailers are pretty common for guys running mechanical equipment.  I've got to get one set up in the next few weeks and I was wondering how you guys have yours layed out?  What do you have in there you can't live without?  Just looking for some ideas.  I'm used to working out of a shop as far as maintenance goes so the in woods trailer is new to me.

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

mike_belben

There was one parked on a job near me recently that looked like an old dumpster welded upside down over an old triaxle tag with a door cut in.  It was a fort knox for sure. 
Praise The Lord

sawguy21

What size trailer do you envision? What equipment do you run and how many units? Do you need to be mobile on short notice? We used a 34' converted horse trailer and a retired tool truck to support two heavy lift helicopters at logging sites, they had to be well equipped because of the remote locations. A 6500W generator ran the portable compressor and kept the house batteries charged. A catalytic heater kept things warm and took up little space but make sure there is adequate ventilation. Depending how far you are from town keep a good supply of filters and lubricants, a battery operated grease gun is a wise investment.
I don't know what conditions you are operating under but our service vehicles were pretty much scrap in three years due to the roads we were on and the yahoos driving them. I was the fleet manager, drove me nuts.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gman98

This particular trailer will be for a Skidder and site prep implement.
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

kiko

The problem with service trailers around here is they will be looted or stolen entirely at some point.  

sawguy21

We never had that problem although the risk is there.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gman98

We're typically working pretty remote.  Up to 30 miles from the nearest hot top road.  So luckily theft isn't a huge issue.

mike_belben

Completely removable lunettes are handy.  Padlock the chains and leave a magic marker cardboard note saying something like 'the camera you just triggered by stepping here alerts my phone and im on my way now.'

It might not work on everyone, but bluffs can tip a LOT of things in your favor. 
Praise The Lord

Nicest setup i ve seen is a 48 foot moving van set up as follows.
2000 gallon fuel tank at front over fifth wheel. then going back a couple long workbenches with most things you could need. welder, torches, large generator, air compressor, hydraulic hose, crimper,  chain sharpener, hydraulic press, lista cabinets full of fittings and consumable parts, grease and fluid stock, communications gear full outdoor lighting and most tools u would need to rebuild the machines on site. this unit was painted to not attract attention and secured like fort knox but it still got cleaned out a few times over the years. wish i had pictures but this was early 2000s (no phone cameras)

Bruno of NH

I ran job trailers for years as a builder.
One 28' tool trailer and dump trailer for c and d .
Never had a theft issue.
But now guys in my area are having the whole trailer stolen.
As I'm posting this im putting 
Together tools to start putting in locust post for a new mill yard gate. 
I had my tool trailer set up.
Work bench , grinder, nail/screw bins, compressor, hose reel, 110 power , lights and generator. Lots of shelves. You could cut in it on a rainy day. Front flip down ramp door and full rear ramp door.
I know this isn't what you want but an idea on tools.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!