iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

i made a cookie cutter

Started by yukon cornelius, July 26, 2014, 05:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

I made me a bracket to cut cookies and short logs/firewood pieces. I saw another members setup on here a while back and realized I had all I needed for to build this. I made a few changes to fit my needs. I plan on using it to cut billets for my shingle attachment. I haven't cut any on it but I have no doubt its going to work without a hitch. it is very adjustable for very small short logs to as wide as my track and 4 foot long.

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

WmFritz

Quote from: Holmes on July 26, 2014, 07:53:39 PM
That's quite clever. 8)

If you don't mind, I may copy your design.
I have an idea that I need cookies for, of all different sizes and I need a lot.  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

yukon cornelius

i don't mind at all. I copied most of it also. I think it was tom the sawyer??? I added the track pieces to adjust the width. i am going to try it out tomorrow i think. i will add pictures if it goes well, or if it doesn't and i make it  :D

cutterboy

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

gfadvm

That is a great short log jig! I may scrap mine and steal this idea!

drobertson

Yep, grip it and rip it!  nice work! 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Anxious to see how it works for you. When those blocks are standing tall, takes a pretty good grip to hold 'em.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom the Sawyer

Yep, I thought that looked familiar.  That Unistrut is handy stuff.  I have cut cookies with mine but it really shines on short 'logs'.

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

yukon cornelius

the top is unistrut but the lower part is slightly different. it is a thick aluminum track. its 1/4 inch thick and reinforced lip. i feel it will work well. i was hoping that being able to widen the base would help when the log is taller. also being able to swivel the clamps to fit irregular shape of the log might help too

Tom, thanks for posting that pic a long time back when i was looking for a jig for small logs. as soon as i saw it i knew i had to build it! it only took around 6 months to get it to the top of the list.

21incher

I like it. Let us know how it works as I may copy it and make one for my little mill to cut cookies :). I make them with a chainsaw but most of them come out looking like potato chips.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

yukon cornelius

well I guess it worked.....AMAZING!!!!!!  I am satisfied!! 8) 8) 8) 

anyone see wher this is headed?

that one is for you poston!

now a lil bigger

sweet success!!!

yukon cornelius

I didn't notice the terrible accident in the background of the last picture. it appears my dump truck has overturned. I guess I better get my backhoe in the left of the picture to try and upright it. how else will I haul my sawdust away. :D

leroy in kansas

Quote from: yukon cornelius on July 27, 2014, 01:40:24 PM
I didn't notice the terrible accident in the background of the last picture. it appears my dump truck has overturned. I guess I better get my backhoe in the left of the picture to try and upright it. how else will I haul my sawdust away. :D

I was about to comment on this but you beat me to it.  I keep my trucks under the table saw in a fresh pile of saw dust. There is a lot of trucking going on at times.  :D

leroy in kansas

How are you securing the jig to the saw?

yukon cornelius

I drilled through the bunks in 2 places per bracket. 1/2" bolts total of 4 bolts. my bunks are 4 inch channel.

:Dlots of sawdust moved around my mill by dumptruck. luckily that's just the small truck.

yukon cornelius

I had a guy that I buy logs from, who also has a big circle mill call me and ask me to saw some cedar cookies today. he brought one big 26 diameter one and one a bit smaller. I put the bracket on and start slicing them up. I am totally happy with how it works. I didn't get any pics while cutting but here is the ends from squaring them up. I kept one mid sized one to do something with???don't know what yet. 

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ljmathias

I've never been able to air dry a cookie without it breaking in two or opening up an inch or more at one point.  Any secrets to keeping them together till dry?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

yukon cornelius

I wish I knew the secret... I have had amazing luck though. I have only had one fall apart and it was a small 3/4" thick cedar coaster that I left in the van with the windows up on a hot day. I cut them in the morning when the sun is not on the mill.  I take them in the gravel floor shop and lean them against the wall. the shop is not air conditioned and I never put a fan on them. once I set them in the fans path and instantly heard checking start. took them out of the fan and all better. tomorrow, who knows I may have a stack of crumbles.

Ianab

Quote from: ljmathias on August 13, 2014, 10:14:22 PM
I've never been able to air dry a cookie without it breaking in two or opening up an inch or more at one point.  Any secrets to keeping them together till dry?

Lj

Cedar like that has the best chance of drying intact. The wood has low shrinkage and the ingrown bark acts as stress relief openings. Other species are almost impossible to get dry in one piece. The uneven shrinkage just tears them apart no matter what you do.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

hackberry jake

I soaked a bunch of red oak cookies in pentacryl and then started drying them out slowly. I would let you guys know how they are doing, but they all got sold to use as wedding center pieces and a cake holder. I will try cookies again soon and maybe this time I will keep at least one of them to see how it reacts...
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

yukon cornelius

I have done some red oak the same way and had great success also. I made a set of 2 inch thick cookie barstools before I knew the risk. they are still intact. I have a pretty good stack of cookies and so far all intact without cracks. I don't know whats working but im going to keep it up.

Magicman

Dry Cedar like that usually will not crack.  I see that your blade oscillation is still there, or was. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ljmathias

Hackberry, I can't believe I'm the only one coerced into making a cupcake holder for a wedding.  Made one for my daughter from fresh cut cherry cookies and a really nice, dry mutlibranch SYP tree top with several up-pointing branches.  Looked great...for about two days, then the cookies started splitting.  Oh, well, she used it anyway and married a solid man, Army National Guard and one of those rare individuals with the gumption to try anything that might work for good and the skill and training to usually pull it off.  Love working with him- things get done!

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!