iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Calling on Logosol CSM owners: M8 Log bed heights not the same

Started by Soundforest, August 10, 2012, 11:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soundforest

On my new M8 I'm either having difficultly getting the log beds heights to match or I'm too anal. The mill came with Baltic birch spacers cut to 2". The initial log beds I was able to set so that throughout the support's length the spacer just kisses the logosol thin-kerf bar (which I checked for straightness). The far support is a different story. No matter what I adjust, the height to the bar closest to the guide rail is always less than the height at the tip - approximately 1/32". I did set the mill up on a sheet of osb in our gravel parking area. I then put 2x6's under the legs. I kept checking the legs for 90 degrees to the guide rail - seems to be right on. I used winding sticks to check the evenness of the rail - ok. The manual talks about loosening the saddle plates bolts to adjust it. There is NO PLAY AT ALL in the saddle plate. Any suggestions or should I just start cutting?

Thanks in advance

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to the forum Sound forest  ;) ;D ;D 8) where are you based Mate  ???I had a home made M7 for My first mill 1/32nd out I would not stress about as you will still be in the sawing tolerance as there is a little bit of movement in any portable sawmill Id just start sawing and see how it comes out  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Soundforest

I'm located in SW Washington - land of hemlock, fir, alder maple and some cedar

tyb525

1/32 is pretty amazing accuracy for roughcut lumber. The teeth marks left behind will be at least 1/32" deep so it isn't much of an issue.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Soundforest

Actually that's what I wanted to hear. Those darn Swedes and their precision :-)

tyb525

What are you using the lumber for? If you are going to plane it, you should be cutting it around 1/4" to 3/8" thicker than the finished size you want, so once it dries and shrinks there is still enough thickness to plane it to the size you want.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Soundforest

Cabinetry, furniture, trim, flooring, siding. I realize miling is just the first step and that wood moves. This will be my first venture at stickering and drying. I hope to build a solar kiln. I plan to cut the wood 1/8 to 1/4" thicker (maybe more) for hemlock to compensate.

Logosol Malte

Hello all,
I would say that 1/32" deviation on 0,5 meter is fairly good, but of course the M8 can easily be fine tuned to be perfect.

Text from the Logosol M8 manual page 34:

3. Check the angle between log bed and log support.
The play in the log bed plastic slides affects the
measurement. The log bed is to therefore always be
pressed out from the guide rail when you measure.
The angle is to be exactly 90 degrees

Remedy: If this angle is not 90 degrees, then this
can be adjusted using thin shims. You can purchase
shims from Logosol. You can also cut strips of thin
aluminium sheet from an empty beer can or similar.
Lifting the log bed tip: Unscrew the log bed from
the lifting beam. Place one or more layers of shims
(15x12 mm) on the top of the lifting beam, farthest
out or farthest in. After fitting the 0.2 mm shims,
the log bed tip will be raised around 1 mm measured
from the inner end of the log bed.

Carefully set the log bed in place and tighten. Repeat
the process until you are satisfied with the angle.
Then set the log height as described on page 23,
but only measure at the far end of the log bed, closest
to the guide bar mounting. To measure an exact
height against the guide bar with the log bed set on
2 inches: 52.0 mm (or 2.05 inches) use your setting
block and feeler gauge.

Thank You Sponsors!