iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

End sealer

Started by Mesquite cutter, August 25, 2020, 11:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

prob. right on that note.  I looked on amazon.  can call the company and see what type of pigment they use.  not sure if it water based, or other?  if it is regular paint pigment, see if your local paint or hardware store will throw some in it for you.  I had questions and spoke to the UC coating company and they were very helpful.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Brad_bb

I only use Anchor seal original.  When you calculate the cost per BF, it's so miniscule, it's not worth my time to chase those pennies. There are a lot of other ways to save time or money that are more worth while by pursuing other avenues of efficiency.  If you mill very little wood though, the up front cost is a real cost to you.   
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Larry

Some woodturning clubs buy a 55 gallon drum of Anchorseal and resell at cost to turners.  If somebody peddling wood @YellowHammer had a drum and the word got out they were reselling, turners might just buy a $100 of wood while picking up a gallon. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

YellowHammer

I just might do that, I could order it by the tote.  

I just looked at ordering some 5 gallon buckets of Anchorseal, but see on their website they are apparently still charging $33 for shipping per 5 gallons.  So for me to order 10 gallons costs $66 in shipping.  I canceled the order.    

I have been using the Kilngspors, it's made in bulk by another company, $17 per gallon, $7 flat rate shipping for the entire order.  I've been using it for maybe a couple years now, and I actually prefer it over the Anchoseal.  It seems to lay on a little thicker, goes through my spray equipment well, and there isn't any difference in end cracking.  It's also 30% less expensive and also saves me nearly $60 in shipping and can be ordered online with the click of a button.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

An effective end sealer must be able to attach to green wood, must be applied before any checking begins, and must stop the ends from drying. 

Many so-called end coatings fail in one of these three.  However, as the species the poor coatings are used on do not check easily, it appears that the coatings work.  The more expensive the wood, the more critical to use an expensive and effective coating applied correctly.

In the wintertime, water leaving the wood through the end can form ice and then the coating covers the ice but not the wood, so the coating must be put on the fresh end ASAP.  In the summertime, the ends begin to dry soon after being sawn, so again, ASAP.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Walnut Beast

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on September 16, 2020, 08:24:32 AM
An effective end sealer must be able to attach to green wood, must be applied before any checking begins, and must stop the ends from drying.

Many so-called end coatings fail in one of these three.  However, as the species the poor coatings are used on do not check easily, it appears that the coatings work.  The more expensive the wood, the more critical to use an expensive and effective coating applied correctly.

In the wintertime, water leaving the wood through the end can form ice and then the coating covers the ice but not the wood, so the coating must be put on the fresh end ASAP.  In the summertime, the ends begin to dry soon after being sawn, so again, ASAP.
So what do you recommend besides Anchorseal ??

doc henderson

so I would ask it this way.  is there anything better than anchorseal for the same price, or anything just as good, but cheaper.  I think there not going to be a consistent answer.  @GeneWengert-WoodDoc @WDH @YellowHammer
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

K-Guy

Everyone has an opinion, plus who decides what is good enough?
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

YellowHammer

I guess the name Klingspors Green Wood Sealer kind of puts people off. :D :D  It makes it sounds bush league.

But what if I had called it Sealtite 60 End Coating from ISK Biocides?

Sealtite 60 End Coating

It is a professional end coating.  Klingspors and other companies just rebottle and rename.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

xlogger

Most of my logs I get have been cut a week or more. Is there any need to paint them? I usually do. Most of the time I can't cut off much of the ends. I need the lengths. If I get a 16 ft I cut it into half then paint. 
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

mohicanww

Rockler also sells a Rockler branded green wood sealer at $22 per gallon - it is anchorseal 2.

2002 WoodMizer LT40HDD42 w/Accuset 2

aigheadish

Yet another game I'm real new to...

After reading a handful of threads about end sealers it sounds like either anchorseal2 or Klingspors are the best bets, but also folks are watering them down a bit? Is that correct? 

And I saw the spray method thread rather than the brush method, that looks nice. 

My big pile of logs didn't get any of that but after the crazy amount I'm learning here on FF I'm realizing I may be lucky to use any of that, however these are all good things to know for when I knock over more trees...
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

the thinning was for ease of spraying.  I use anchorseal.  it is great.  latex paint is better than nothing.  so it depends on the value you place on the log.  for someone who occasionally brings me a log for themselves, I tell them a thick coat of left over paint will help.  most non woodworking homeowners do not want a 5 gallon pail.
it may take several coats of any product.  especially if you thin it.

aigheadish

Thanks @doc henderson ! 

As I learn more and start on new and different projects I'm starting to value my wood more highly. Unfortunately, like I've mentioned, I've got a fair amount of logs or chunks of logs that I have had around for anywhere from a couple months to probably 4 years, just laying in piles. I'm not sure what will be usable and what won't but I'm now considering the future wood I still have to cut down or what happens when I acquire wood from others. 

Am I reading correctly that some folks just pour antifreeze into their sprayer of anchorseal, if it wasn't ordered with the winterizer?

I appreciate your help!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

It is specific.  I think it may be methanol (alcohol)  not ethylene glycol (car antifreeze).  they are nice, and I think they will tell you what to use use and the ratio.  talk to tech support.  Most of the benefit is if it is done as soon as it is cut.  after a few months prob. no benefit unless you trim 6 inches to get to wet wood.  defeating the purpose which is to prevent end checks and waste.  so starting now I would end coat good logs.  good luck.

farmfromkansas

Would RV antifreeze be the proper additive for the log sealer?
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

doc henderson

I think so but you can ask UC and be sure.  It may be watered down, so you may need pure or higher concentration by the time to added it to say 5 gallons.  it is formulated to be safe for humans and may be polyethylene glycol. the same as PEG wood stabilizer and Miralax  the laxative.  I will try to look.  i add windshield wash to my lube tank, but it is full concentration as i only add dawn and spindle lube, a few glugs.  so if you added a cup of RV antifreeze to 5 gallons of anchorseal, is it compatible and will it protect from freezing?

Walnut Beast

Quote from: farmfromkansas on January 01, 2021, 11:37:48 AM
Would RV antifreeze be the proper additive for the log sealer?
When I talked to them they absolutely did not advise to do it. They basically said when guys add to there mixture they already have that it's getting watered down and defeating the purpose. They  have there own concoction that has the proper ratios

Thank You Sponsors!