iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Southern Chapter TF Workshop March 7-12

Started by ljmathias, February 06, 2008, 07:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljmathias

Southern Chapter Timber Framing Workshop- March 7-12th

A two-part timber framing workshop will be held in southern Mississippi taught by Jim Rogers (yes, that Jim Rogers who you all know from the Forum).  The workshop will begin with an extended weekend introduction followed by additional days during the following week devoted to more in-depth subjects.  The basic idea of such a two-part workshop is to include people who may be able to only take off one day from work, although Jim tells me that even someone showing up later Friday or real early on Saturday will still get the basics.  The hands-on introduction to the fundamentals of laying out and cutting joints will start at 8 am Friday morning (with a quick review on Saturday morning) continuing with practice and execution instruction all day Saturday and Sunday morning.  Later Sunday afternoon and evening will be an informal gathering with catered BBQ (sound familiar?) and a campfire for those who stay till dark; lots of Southern tea and coffee, but sorry, no beer or wine allowed as we live in a "dry" county and an even "drier" house.  The Sunday gathering is free and open to anyone who wants to come and join in the fellowship- we could call it the 2nd meeting of the Southern chapter but that's probably way to official sounding.  I will need numbers, though, so I know how much food to order so RSVP is required.  On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, those with the time and dedication will finish building bents for a small workshop that will be erected on-site (16'X12' enclosed with 16'X12' covered wings/sheds on either side, two story in the middle with 12' walls).

Location of the workshop and Sunday evening gathering is Mathias Hollow Farm (that's my family) located just outside Purvis and about 10 miles from Hattiesburg, MS.  Directions will be provided after you sign up or you can go to mapquest and enter "7 Mathias Hollow, Purvis, MS 39475" and get a map plus directions.  Since Jim will be flying down from Massachusetts, we have to cover his expenses and those involved in putting together materials and supplies for the workshop.  What attendees receive will be a reference book to study before the workshop, notes that will summarize key topics, and of course, lots of hands-on experience.  Fees are simple: $200 for the Friday-Sunday introductory segment and $450 for those starting on Friday and staying on through Wednesday.  Prices are meant to just cover expenses.  Jim suggests 6-8 attendees for the full workshop (Friday through Wednesday) while several additional could be accommodated for the extended weekend in addition to the full-workshop attendees.  We already have firm reservations for 3 attendees for the full workshop, so space is available for 3-5 others.  Sorry this is somewhat late notice- turns out it's not easy finding both a good time for the workshop and the instructor, and mid-March should be great weather for working outside on joints and assembly.  However, I am putting finishing touches on our "big barn," which has 30'X60' enclosed and covered area with a nice flat concrete floor and 12' ceilings for use in the workshop, so most of the instruction and cutting will probably be done there.  More information on what you need to bring and logistics of the workshop will be provided to those who sign up.  Hope some of you can join us and find out how to actually DO all the stuff we read about on this great forum.
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Jim_Rogers

I would suggest that each person who want to attend look at the list of tools for timber framing. Most of that list is standard carpenter tools, but some larger chisels and mallets would be nice to have. You can bring some power tools, skill saw for example if you'd like.

When I teach a workshop I try to teach each student how to safely use all the tools on hand, including power tools.
But I would rather you spend time learning how to use the tools that you have and will use to construct your own frame when that time comes.

And of course layout and cutting of joints, frame fit up, and some basic raising methods....

I'm looking forward to this "Southern Chapter" gathering.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

firecord

DWM II

lj, I have my vacation set for the 5 day clinic. Also I can get you a check in the mail by the 15 of Feb. I look forward to see you and Jim and starting to learn the trade.

Donnie
Stewardship Counts!

ljmathias

If anyone else is interested, please let me know- we're at the bare minimum to go ahead and more participants would make it more enjoyable in terms of meeting new people...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Radar67

I'm unsure how my schedule will be during that time frame. I may be able to make the three day at the beginning, but not positive yet.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ironstumper

I would so much like to join you guys, but it will be impossible right now. Can anyone tell me how often these kinds of opportunities come around?
Rom 8:19 Can't wait!!

Jim_Rogers

The last time I did a southern workshop was 2004 at Joey Lowe's in Texas.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!