iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

barbender

Haha it was actually way worse than it looked! 
Too many irons in the fire

Resonator

At least no one was in the seat when it happened, or it could of been a whole lot worse. :o
One of the excavating guys on YouTube made removable steel rails that run down the center of his trailer to prevent sliding sideways, makes it safer for loading tracked machines on uneven ground or when the deck is slick.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Wudman

That would explain it.  I know from experience to chain and then check the chains again.   :-\

Wud
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Nebraska

Thank you Northeast Nebraska Trailer repair.

Not a great picture, but about halfway home hauling my tractor  back from the cabin, heard a bang, trailer didn't  move. Was rolling fine...I Was on the phone with my wife told her I better get slowed  down and I'd call back.  Got out rim and tire gone.  Off in a cattail slough in the passenger ditch....Studs all broken just inside the hub. Grease cap was gone off of the bearing but they seemed fine.  I was able to cross the highway and a farm place had a good turn around a little ways down the road.  So fortunately  I was 3 miles south of a town..So I slowly limped it back  to the parking lot of a veterinary  clinic. They were open  so I stuck my head in the door and asked if I could unload the tractor there for a few days. They were gracious  and understanding. Before I left they handed me a phone number for a trailer repair shop the next town East. I was going south  worth a try...so I called the number and a nice lady said if you can limp it here we will look.  Long story short one of the mechanics was repacking  wheel bearings on a stock trailer they were reflooring  he stopped what her was doing. Looked at my itrailer ssues said well this isn't so bad.  Rummaged around found stud bolts, slipped the hub off cleaned up the old grease repacked the bearings,  then tapped in the stud bolts for me and then  the spare tire and rim on. Then I pulled up to their diesel pump and filled up. I paid my bill which was reasonable ordered and a new rim and spare.  Then I headed back west to retrieve the tractor. 
The office was still open so I stuck my head in the door and thanked them and told them I would drop off some chocolate  for lot rent next time I was through. Cost me about two and a half hours time but it was worth it not to have to make a special trip up to get the tractor after I had fixed the hub.  Rest of journey was fine...Got home and unloaded most of the daylight was shot.  Parked the trailer called it a day.
Thank God for small towns. 

mike_belben

Glad to hear that! Small towns make surviving carnage a lot easier.. You can almost count on the average stranger being happy to help. 

I was double overloaded like a desperate idiot with hungry kids, hauling the last load, all the best logs to stave mill in alabama on a friday with a 4 wheeler gooseneck and no CDL at 42k total. Blew a tire on the right hand side and had a horrible time raising the pile while im sweating every state looking vehicle that rolls by.   

There was 24k on the deck and it was all leaned into a soft shoulder with the truck 1/3 in the road.  Any more off the shoulder was not possible and i know the road, absolutely no where to pull off for miles.  Anyway, i could not get the height to get the new tire back on.. The 20T bottle jack was just going down and down no matter how much junk i had it on.  I had to keep putting the shardy blown tire on to take the jack out and stack more under. 

By the time i got mobile there was no way i was making it to the mill before close, they werent open again until monday and i couldnt be sleeping in a parking lot 3 days waiting.  and probably also no way i was making it back up the mountain at 8-10% grade and 800ft elevation change. Id be plugging a major route if the truck stalled or broke and almost certainly roll down backwards into the line of traffic @ 42k total with no parking brake. Cant risk an attempt.  Cant trust the trailer not to get stolen if im not hooked to it. 

A old guy pulls up to check on me, i tell him im fixed but cant make the mill and cant make the mountain.  He has me hide the loaded trailer behind his house maybe a mile down the road and come back monday.  Guy really saved my bacon. 
Praise The Lord

Nebraska

You know if you think  about it, angels come in all sorts of disguises.  Most of the time they don't even realize it either.... I have to remind myself sometimes that God put me here to help people and I am blessed even though the phones ringing at 12:15 and somebody's dog got into their sisters pot gummies..... :)

Hilltop366

Quote from: Nebraska on August 13, 2021, 10:43:24 AMsomebody's dog got into their sisters pot gummies.....

Its never theirs is it.

Kind of blaming your kids less desirable traits on their aunts and uncles.:)

mike_belben

Youve never farted in company and yelled at the dog?   

Amateurs.  ::)
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Quote from: mike_belben on August 13, 2021, 08:33:26 AM
Glad to hear that! Small towns make surviving carnage a lot easier.. You can almost count on the average stranger being happy to help.

I was double overloaded like a desperate idiot with hungry kids, hauling the last load, all the best logs to stave mill in alabama on a friday with a 4 wheeler gooseneck and no CDL at 42k total. Blew a tire on the right hand side and had a horrible time raising the pile while im sweating every state looking vehicle that rolls by.  

There was 24k on the deck and it was all leaned into a soft shoulder with the truck 1/3 in the road.  Any more off the shoulder was not possible and i know the road, absolutely no where to pull off for miles.  Anyway, i could not get the height to get the new tire back on.. The 20T bottle jack was just going down and down no matter how much junk i had it on.  I had to keep putting the shardy blown tire on to take the jack out and stack more under.

By the time i got mobile there was no way i was making it to the mill before close, they werent open again until monday and i couldnt be sleeping in a parking lot 3 days waiting.  and probably also no way i was making it back up the mountain at 8-10% grade and 800ft elevation change. Id be plugging a major route if the truck stalled or broke and almost certainly roll down backwards into the line of traffic @ 42k total with no parking brake. Cant risk an attempt.  Cant trust the trailer not to get stolen if im not hooked to it.

A old guy pulls up to check on me, i tell him im fixed but cant make the mill and cant make the mountain.  He has me hide the loaded trailer behind his house maybe a mile down the road and come back monday.  Guy really saved my bacon.
Wow! Sounds like you were up SCHMIDTS creek without a paddle There for a second lol 
A1

mike_belben

Nah.. The axle stayed in the trailer that time.  Much worse was the time it flew out.  But i conquered that event too. Then the front knuckle coming off the truck.  

Stand back folks.  UnderSafe Load coming through.  My existence really does justify DOTs job.

;D
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

DOT=Department Of Trouble 😈 
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Crusarius

unfortunately they have their place. I cannot tell you how many times I have driven under a flying mattress or over one in the highway because of less than stellar ppl thinking they can hold it down with their hand out the window.

Tacotodd

Ah yes, that's the #1 reason that I believe in firmly securing my loads. I don't know why others don't do the same. 🤦🏻
Trying harder everyday.

Hilltop366

Its almost highway mattress season as the collage students will be going back to school soon.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Tacotodd on August 13, 2021, 09:49:28 PM
Ah yes, that's the #1 reason that I believe in firmly securing my loads. I don't know why others don't do the same. 🤦🏻
You should see the average person try to figure out a ratchet strap, There's your answer lol 
A1

mike_belben

Quote from: Hilltop366 on August 14, 2021, 12:01:08 AM
Its almost highway mattress season as the collage students will be going back to school soon.
:D
Praise The Lord

Corley5

A flange bearing failed on my live deck.  I tried to be nice.  Use heat to get it apart and re use parts.  Ya right.  I used heat to get it apart and have new stuff ordered from Surplus Center.  I've got a dead deck for the next few days ;) :)

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tacotodd

@Corley5 that's a bummer along with all of the lightening strike. :-[ I guess that's what makes for a persons good character eh?
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

PoginyHill

A couple pics from my archives.
First was a full pup trailer that disconnected from the truck/loader. I can't recall if the pintle hook failed or maybe the locking arm was not fastened and it popped out somehow - this was maybe 10yrs ago. Barely missed the building that houses the water supply and pump for the log yard spray system.

This one was of similar vintage. Logs delivered in a gondola type trailer. Logs froze in the bed and didn't slide out when the trailer dump was near its top. Rather level ground, but not level enough. Trailer tipped on its side.

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Resonator

It doesn't take much to tip a loaded semi end dump over. It's like wedging a tree, an inch or two right to left by the back wheels moves it a couple feet up in the air. Logs in a dump box always has a risk of being wedged in, even if they aren't frozen. And depending how they come out the tailgate, they can get tangled up blocking the flow.

Crusarius

I have often wondered how they get them back on the wheels after that?

Resonator

1st you unload it (looks like a fork grapple loader is doing so in the picture), then you get a heavy tow truck to lift the rig. The rotator models are basically a crane with outriggers, that can swing out and lift the rig back upright. Jamie Davis towing has videos of them in action.

Thank You Sponsors!