iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Massey Powershuttle? Yorque converter squealing !

Started by Satamax, July 10, 2021, 05:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

My crane has a "powershuttle" transmission

I understand that there is a torque converter in there.  When i drive, the thing squeals, like a loose belt. But it isn't a belt.

Anybody ever heard that?  What was the culprit? If ever you found out.

I know that a filter change is long overdue. But i can't seem to unstick the filter bowl. 3/4 ratchet, with breaker bar doesn't do it.

Well, if anybody is more savy than me on those, i'm all ears.

Thanks guys.

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Satamax

Here's the insides. 

It's a welded torque converter. Oil fed from the "nose" .  I will change both filters.  The return one seems clean. But I'll change it anyway. The pressure one is black. So that's for sure a replacement. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

A non lockup convertor is usually just two housing shells with fins brazed inside and a stator plate assembly.  If its truly inside the convertor i cant think of what it would be.  

My quad has a single complex sealed brake assembly on back axle that has normal rubber seals and that thing squeeks so loud you can hear it for a mile.  I think your squeek is more likely to be the convertor hub squeeking on a rubber seal in the trasmission pump than it is to be from inside the convertor itself.  If i swerve around the weight on that hub will start or stop it.   
Praise The Lord

Satamax

I'll know more once the filters will have been changed.  Massey manual says  no problems can come from the torque converter. Rather from the pump feeding it. 

Satamax

And there is "electric hydraulic" forward and reverse. And clutch is ?? ?? . I mean, to change speed i need to press a button on the stick. And forward ans reverse are actuated with a switch at the wheel.

There is two hydraulic distributors, one big one, for forward and reverse. And one on the side, for the selecting the 4x4 mode.

But i haven't seen the clutch. But as i have seen on some diagrams from other machines, it could act on the torque converter. Freespooling it. But i don't know much about it.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Satamax

Finally found the two filters. May they'll be here by Friday. 

Thank You Sponsors!