iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pictures of your trees on the hit list for the mill

Started by Walnut Beast, February 14, 2022, 02:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Quote from: cutterboy on February 22, 2022, 07:21:44 AM
I have been eyeing this red maple but will have to wait till the ground warms up and dries out before I can get to it. I need more red maple lumber as it sells very well.

Should be some nice lumber out of it 👍

mike_belben

worms hammer it but then it makes a beautiful wormy maple floor.  lots more character once the fungus starts eating the sugars too. 
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Checked this big boy out last night that tipped over along the creek several years ago

that's on the hit list to tackle. I guess I'll dig around the base as low as I can and cut as low as possible. Thought about the whole root ball but I think it's still attached pretty good. We will see

cutterboy

That one looks like it's going to be a lot of work but the rewards will be worth it if the wood is sound. Best of luck!
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Walnut Beast

Time for this treasure to come out. I took this picture in 2019. It was probably down a few years before that. Going to have to winch from the top side. Maybe tomorrow. This monster dandy cottonwood is down in that nick of the woods and I think the Owls 🦉claim it's their home and that's fine by me

BargeMonkey

I'm guessing they should probably go for firewood 🤷‍♂️😆  there's about 100 of them that look like that. Friend of mine bought a farm and there's a pile of them. 

customsawyer

Walnut has there been cows in with those trees? I've seen them do similar damage.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Walnut Beast

Good point. No there haven't been any cattle on the place since I've been around but  back in the 60s and earlier there must have been some at some point with the old barbed wire and really old barbed

Nebraska

Barge I would saw that cotton wood into  floor joists for the barn. I don't have any like that here. Not that straight anyway.

Walnut Beast

Diesel said it's on the hit list. Doesn't look like it but it's 91"

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

Good question. 91" circumference at DBH. Diameter At Breast Height 4.5 feet above the ground. That puts it at a 29" diameter tree at that particular location. Some interesting facts in the photo

Walnut Beast

Got my eye on some Cedar, ash and Osage. More dead walnut! The coon that was lounging in his walnut wasn't to excited about us down there

Walnut Beast

Osage is in the mix. To many to choose from and many monsters like the one pictured. But I think I might take some smaller ones like this 

Machinebuilder

I cut it down a couple weeks ago.

Unfortunately it was my first experience having a tree barber chair on me. I realized with that much lean I should have bore cut it and then cut the back.
It split to about 12' up
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Walnut Beast

Anything with tension on it can be tricky and dangerous 

cutterboy

Quote from: Machinebuilder on March 26, 2022, 09:41:17 AM

I cut it down a couple weeks ago.

Unfortunately it was my first experience having a tree barber chair on me. 
It split to about 12' up
That's a shame. Nice long clean stem.

cutterboy

Nice ash covered in bittersweet vines. It'll come down later this spring or summer when the ground dries out.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: cutterboy on March 28, 2022, 08:27:18 AM

Nice ash covered in bittersweet vines. It'll come down later this spring or summer when the ground dries out.
Nice and tall 👍

Walnut Beast

Found more big black gold down. Covered by big dead tree. Going to take some serious winching across the steep creek

Walnut Beast

Digging by hand, down in the creek and sweating 😅 like a mad man insanely while being supervised by the boss that kept dropping his ball down in the creek while going after the black gold to  get ready to cut some monster roots

Walnut Beast

cutterboy

WB, that is a lot of work digging out that tree. I hope you get much good lumber.

Walnut Beast

Thanks, seems like it's pretty good. Going to have to wait on the crotch wood and some other big trees till I figure out a slabbing unit

Walnut Beast

She was on the hit list and just put her down before the nasty storm now. Dug around the base on the one side and found a hollow spot in the tree so I knew it was there. After it was down it appears to go up a good three feet. Not surprised with these older trees. There should be plenty of interesting and good wood. Also I'm thinking of the lower part with the hollow part that I'm going to cut table high and put on mill and cut all the sap wood off and have a interesting and incredible table with clear glass or epoxy top of some sort and do something with the inside you will be able to see. Sapwood seems to be pretty narrow

Thank You Sponsors!