iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are oak logs worth in Central PA?

Started by Greyhound, May 05, 2022, 08:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyhound

How do I find out current, fair pricing for logs?  I have been harvesting numerous nice oaks from my property recently and am considering selling some of the logs to a local small mill.   In the past I've  hired a bandsaw miller to come to my place and saw them into lumber.  Right now I've got way more lumber on sticks than I really need and about 5.5K bd-ft of logs in stacks ready for the mill.

beenthere

Only "worth" what someone is willing to pay. Then hope it is "fair" to you.
Check around for a buyers' ad (Craigslist?, Facebook?) or go to a sawmill with your pics to show the quality logs you have for sale.
At least let them know they have been "cat" scanned at no extra charge.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stavebuyer

White Oak lumber is at record levels. Red Oak low grade (2A&3A) is also not far from record highs. FAS Red Oak is dirt cheap and hardly worth the cost to grade and separate. Great time to sell culls and good White Oak. 

I'd put the good RO lumber on sticks.

The Hardwood Market Report (HMR) is the industry pricing publication, but its subscription based and somewhat expensive for the occasional user.

tacks Y

I hired a forester to put some logs up for bid once. It was well worth it to me, only a truck load or so. But one bidder came in about 70% above the others. Not sure if anyone does this around here anymore.

B.C.C. Lapp

I'm over here in North west Pa. and this is what I'm getting for oak at the two saw mills I sell grade logs to.  Central Pa shouldn't be a whole lot different.

Price per 1000 bf.  
Red oak
Prime- $900
#1- $675
#2-$500
#3- 320

White oak
Prime $1850
#1- $1250
#2- $700
#3- $320

Tie logs $320
Tie logs need 8 inch of trim if 8 footers.
To make prime a log has to be 16in on the small end or better and have at least three  clear sides.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Greyhound

Buyer needs 12' 6" and at least 16" on small end. Most of the logs I'd have available for him would be clear 4 sides.  

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: Greyhound on May 06, 2022, 06:21:34 PM
Buyer needs 12' 6" and at least 16" on small end. Most of the logs I'd have available for him would be clear 4 sides.  
Well, the prices I gave you are for gate logs (logs delivered to the mill) and I pay the trucking.
 Id scale the logs  and tell him what you want for a straight through price for all your logs and see what he says.  
If you sell him your best it may be hard to find buyer for the rest.  I'd sell to a mill that will take em all.
Who is moving the logs?

Greyhound

I offered to deliver them and the miller offered me $650?K and he was going to take the best ones.  Log quality is variable from Prime to #1,  few #2's.  I'm inclined to pass this time.  I'm in no rush.  I can always get all my logs milled here on site and store the lumber on stickers for as long as I want. It would be nice to have $ in my pocket today, but I'm not going to give the logs away either. 

Would it be worthwhile to have a forester or other professional help me sell my logs?  I'm sitting on ~5.5K of good oak logs and have another 1-1.5K on the stump that I'm planning to fell this week. 

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: Greyhound on May 08, 2022, 06:39:05 PM
I offered to deliver them and the miller offered me $650?K and he was going to take the best ones.  Log quality is variable from Prime to #1,  few #2's.  I'm inclined to pass this time.  I'm in no rush.  I can always get all my logs milled here on site and store the lumber on stickers for as long as I want. It would be nice to have $ in my pocket today, but I'm not going to give the logs away either.  

Would it be worthwhile to have a forester or other professional help me sell my logs?  I'm sitting on ~5.5K of good oak logs and have another 1-1.5K on the stump that I'm planning to fell this week.
I don't think a forester is a good idea for that small amount. In this case he cant do much that you couldn't do for yourself. We are not talking about a lot standing timber here.  Get three or four bids for the logs and take the offer you like.    But dont sit on them to long. It is stain season.  Most mills wont even send a buyer out for less than 10,000 bd ft of standing timber. In fact around here most mills wont look at a timber stand that has less than 24,000bd ft minimum.

Greyhound

That all makes sense and was exactly what I was thinking.  I'm looking for a sawyer already.  I hate air drying lumber in late Spring/Summer. 

Greyhound

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on May 07, 2022, 10:31:33 AM
Quote from: Greyhound on May 06, 2022, 06:21:34 PM
Well, the prices I gave you are for gate logs (logs delivered to the mill) and I pay the trucking.
Id scale the logs  and tell him what you want for a straight through price for all your logs and see what he says.  
If you sell him your best it may be hard to find buyer for the rest.  I'd sell to a mill that will take em all.
Who is moving the logs?
That sounds like really good advice, too.  FWIW, I decided to keep my logs and will be having them milled on site next week.  Next time, I think I will plan a little farther in advance, make sure I'm bucking to exactly what mills want and I definitely see if I can get some $ for the lower quality logs, for scrag, blocking, ties, etc.

Thank You Sponsors!