iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to sell small-ish quantities of lower grade scrag, blocking, tie logs?

Started by Greyhound, May 16, 2022, 12:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyhound

Is feasible to sell small quantities of lower quality logs for scrag, blocking, RR ties, etc?  I'm absolutely not a professional logger, but I own a small, 16 acre, woodlot and no loggers want to look at this small of a property.  As with the rest of the mid-Atlantic, we have been loosing almost all of our chestnut oaks over the last several years.  I've been trying to harvest these to mill best logs.  I've been saving the top logs, off-center pith leaners, smaller logs, and understory trees (black birch, red maple, beech) that needed to be cleared to from the drop zone of the oaks.  I've previously just saved these for "firewood" but now I'm way past what I could possibly cut and spit for firewood.  I was thinking I could probably put together at least 1-2 truckloads of the lower quality logs if I could get a few $$$ for them.  Any advice is greatly appreciated. For example, I have included pictures of one of my current "firewood" piles, and the other picture is of a white oak log (19" at base, 35' long with lots of little knots, I took the lower 16' for milling) and a 14" x 25' beech log.

moodnacreek

As a small mill 11" dia. small end inside bark, 8'  and longer w. oak/ rock oak , always in need of that. Would be sawn into 1 1/2" x 8" x 8' + for  trailer decking. Pays $500 M delivered.

stavebuyer

Most small mills sawing ties,mats, and blocking generally only buy "low grade" logs at a set price. They often are specific on lengths to reduce their waste.

8'8" and multiples for ties. That much trim or more is essential for them.

Mills sawing mats often like 10' and 14'.

Biggest issue is small mills often don't have unlimited space or cash for logs and going into summer can be a tough time to start a relationship. This year flooring has been hot with grade mills sawing low grade into flooring so you may find some small guys still hungry for logs but don't wait until July to start visiting.

Greyhound

1) Forgot to say, I have very limited ability to tranport logs, just a 16' 10K equipment trailer, so I'd probably have to pay for someone to come and pick up the logs.  Not sure if that would chew up any possible profit.
2) Any advice about how to contact local mills?

barbender

You might contact a local state or county forester, they could maybe give you some contacts.
Too many irons in the fire

stavebuyer

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: Greyhound on May 16, 2022, 12:25:03 PM
Is feasible to sell small quantities of lower quality logs for scrag, blocking, RR ties, etc?  I'm absolutely not a professional logger, but I own a small, 16 acre, woodlot and no loggers want to look at this small of a property.  As with the rest of the mid-Atlantic, we have been loosing almost all of our chestnut oaks over the last several years.  I've been trying to harvest these to mill best logs.  I've been saving the top logs, off-center pith leaners, smaller logs, and understory trees (black birch, red maple, beech) that needed to be cleared to from the drop zone of the oaks.  I've previously just saved these for "firewood" but now I'm way past what I could possibly cut and spit for firewood.  I was thinking I could probably put together at least 1-2 truckloads of the lower quality logs if I could get a few $$$ for them.  Any advice is greatly appreciated. For example, I have included pictures of one of my current "firewood" piles, and the other picture is of a white oak log (19" at base, 35' long with lots of little knots, I took the lower 16' for milling) and a 14" x 25' beech log.

It is certainly feasible.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Cedarman

Visit as many local mills as you can.  Tell them what you have, they will tell you what they want and what they are paying.  They usually know someone that can haul.  Main thing is to have a way of loading them efficiently.
By visiting, you will get to know them personally and you never know what you will come across in the future.
Building relationships is important.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Coopthecutter

When I do smaller jobs I usually hire a tri axle self loader to haul the logs. I'm not sure that your tractor would reach over the bunks of a trailer? And even if it does
 you will still have a headache placing logs on the trailer. Tri Axles around me use to charge 125 an hour, don't know where they are at now with fuel being so high 

Greyhound

Is it kosher to sell chestnut oak as "white oak" for trailer decking or should it be true white oak Quercus alba?  If so, I could definitely harvest a bunch of dead standing chestnut oak trees and have them sawn into 1.5" x 8" x 8' for decking.  However, the last thing I want to do it deceive anyone. 

beenthere

Not deceiving to call it white oak, as it is in the white oak group. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stavebuyer

I would sell it as Chestnut Oak. Can't be used for cooperage as the barrels leak for lack of tylosis. Buyers paying a premium price for "white oak" trailer decking or fence boards are doing so with an expectation of strength and resistance to weathering.

Role of Tyloses in the Durability of Chestnut Oak (fs.fed.us)

Wholesale to NHLA customers it can be mixed but labeling it as "white oak" to retail customers probably unable to distinguish the difference borders on fraud IMO.

nativewolf

Greyhound I would agree with SB on that.  For sawn interior lumber it's going to have the same appearance- that's why they mix it with regular WO.  It would still make fine trailer decking, beats PT pine.  Also would make fine wooden fence boards.  Run of the mill retail boards sell here for $16 (8bdft in a 6" x 1" x 16').  That's a way to merchandize.  You won't get rich but should be ahead selling boards at that rate.  Have to do some diligence.

If you have a larger ones  (18" and up on the small end) the quarter saw buyers might take but they would not want worms.  Merchandizing lower grade material is the biggest problem in our harvest as well.  However, right now the tie mills are screaming for oak so that's another option.
Liking Walnut

Old Greenhorn

I always opt for full disclosure and sell it for what it is. You can explain it is in the white oak family, but it is not white oak. Give them as much technical detail as you can. Let the buyer decide. Some will turn their nose up for lack of education, others will give it a try because you were honest and know they have to keep an eye on how they se it. 
 In any event the last thing you want is for them to find out later that it is not what they thought and feel like you slipped one by them. A reputation takes years to earn and minutes to lose. Personally I think chestnut is nice looking wood.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

YoungStump

The mill I work at buys stuff like that for scrag logs, our specs are 6"-16" diameter 7'-25' lengths, must be sound, trimmed, and somewhat straight. We also normally accept some larger diameter blocking logs. We buy by the ton delivered in, most loggers deliver on triaxles with truck mounted loaders or tractor trailers but we buy whatever someone deems worthy to haul in. It's not unusual to have guys haul in small loads on pickups or farm tractors with trailers. Current prices are from $75-85 per ton depending on quality and distance but they can change fast. I don't know exactly where you're located but I would think there would be a similar operation in your area.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

Greyhound

Quote from: stavebuyer on May 26, 2022, 02:15:39 AM
I would sell it as Chestnut Oak. Can't be used for cooperage as the barrels leak for lack of tylosis. Buyers paying a premium price for "white oak" trailer decking or fence boards are doing so with an expectation of strength and resistance to weathering.

Role of Tyloses in the Durability of Chestnut Oak (fs.fed.us)

Wholesale to NHLA customers it can be mixed but labeling it as "white oak" to retail customers probably unable to distinguish the difference borders on fraud IMO.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!