iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you Scale Maple Logs?

Started by Gilman, April 11, 2007, 08:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

I need to buy a load of maple logs, I know that some have stain and other imperfections.  Does anyone have a few pointers for me to add the proper deductions?

Thanks,

David
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

burlman

what is your intentsion for the lumber? general lumber, or flooring? are you after white lumber or do you mind half your boards colored? we 'll need more info

beenthere

I'd think scaling a log is done for a volume figure, thus deductions are for wood that will not make solid lumber. Include rot, holes, sweep, crook. Some times forked stems, pistol butts, and other things that reduce the volume of wood that can be sawn from the log (often a result of poor bucking practice).

Again, it is what the intent of scaling would be.  Seems if you want to grade the log for the quality of product, then it is in addition to the log scale. I believe the two, scale and grade, are separate.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gilman

6' wall paneling and needs to be white.

Beenthere idicates that I need to scale the log and then grade it.  The grade would determine the price per bf.

Is this correct?

isawlogs

Yes it would . Another thing you need to find out is , if they where ever tapped , or if he has knowledge of them being tapped at any time . I sawed some maple that had been tapped a long time ago , sure took a beating on the grade...  :-\ And sawed my first tap there too  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Gilman

These are western soft maple so I'm sure they haven't been tapped.  But thanks for the heads up.

I'm probably buying the load tomorrow so any information would be great information.  The less of a bath I take on this one is a better bath than I've set up for myself so far.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Ron Wenrich

So, what species is western soft maple?  We have soft maples in the east, and it is predominantly red maple Acer rubrum as well as silver maple Acer saccharinum.  Is this the same stuff?

Our soft maple has a tendency to get large streaks when infected by the Ambrosia beetle.  This isn't necessarily unattractive, but it is considered a defect in commercial markets. 

Grade will be dependent on the amount of defect.  The fewer knots, the better the grade.  Also, the longer runs of clear wood, the better the grade. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Bigleaf maple Acer macrophyllum I suspect. And rarely Douglas maple Acer glabrum of significant size.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tillaway

Gilman

Get a scale book from one of the scaling bureaus such as Columbia River Log Scaling Bureau or Puget Sound, Grays Harbor, Southern Oregon, Yamhill... whichever.  They all use the same book.  Also get a book called Log Scaling and Timber Cruising, by Bell and Dilworth,  Same information on grades and defect with a how to.

Big Leaf Maple is graded the same as Red Alder.  You are probably buying Big Leaf Maple.

Mills usually have their own grades and defect rules for hardwood.  The two biggest buyers in the NW use their own.  Since you are the mill you can make up your own.  The bureau books can give you a start.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Gilman

It's big leaf

Thanks for the advice

Gilman

I ordered a used book off of amazon for $22.75 with shipping.  Thanks again

Thank You Sponsors!