iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drilling your own well

Started by Norm, May 20, 2003, 01:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I need to have a couple of wells drilled on our farm and am thinking of buying a doityourself drilling rig from a company called DeepRock. We have clay then some gravel and maybe soft limestone to drill through so the drilling itself shouldn't be too bad. Was wondering if anyone else has tried this our heard of DeepRock.

Jeff

I have helped auger two wells and drive 1 and jet another. All were less then 40 feet. How deep do you need to go?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

MrMoo

Wow, that's a pretty ambitious project. Good luck on that one.
I'm afarid I'm not much help as all I have ever done was put the pump into my well.

shopteacher

I don't know alot about them, but I do know they have been around for over 25 years.  I had considered buying their setup and drilling my own well.  The information I got from them way back then sounded pretty impressive.  Working the steel mills and be constantly laid off never afforded me the opportunity or money to give it a try.  As I said I only know what I read long ago, but if a company has stayed in business for that long I would think they must be doing something right.  Just my 2 cents worth.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Jeff

Our think our local rental center rents a small drilling machine.

Norm

I have tried the local rental stores around here and none have anything that will work, I need to go about 150' down to find the amount of water I need. I'm thinking of buying the machine and then trying to sell it after I'm done with it. They gave me some people to call that have used it and it is a lot of work but well drillers here get 22 bucks a foot just to put in the casing and told me they would not guarantee how deep they would have to drill to find the amount of flow I need. Said last one they drilled near me was 200'.

Jeff

ouch. I wont be much help then if its that deep. We were about maxed at our abilities at 40 feet on digging one manually. If you have the right soil you can drive one that far though, but the limestone would probably stop a drive point.

Jason_WI

There was a guy near us with a drilling rig that used to do "sunday afternoon" drilling. The rig was air powered and it looked as if Columbus brought it along on the Mayflower but it worked. He could only drill big enough for 4" casing though since it was used for drilling holes for blasting.

You need to find one of these guys in your area ;D

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

hydeoutman

I have used a Deep Rock drill about three years ago now. We had borrowed it from a guy who claims to have drilled many.The first location we went 25 feet with it and had to stop due to caving in. We didn't use a recirculating pit with bentonite to keep the sides from caving.
The second attempt in a different location we used the method described in the manual (no manual first time) and used the recirc pit and everything was going fine until our recirc pump failed. The reason the pump failure is because it was not for gritty material. New trash pump, up and running again. We made it down to 25 feet and we hit rock and did not have the proper bits to go through, we called it quits.
The machine itself seemed to work fairly well, it was a little time consuming having to go 6 ft sections at a time and a bit monotonous.
I believe with the right bits that are keep sharp and not running into any rocks you should be able to acheive your goal. The 150 feet will take some time.
We gave up on doing it ourselves and will hire a well driller this summer to drill. In our area the going rate is $1800 for the first 80 feet and 17 a foot after for a 5" casing. Pump and electric are extra.

burlman

I have a neighbor who is forever scheming on get rich busness ideas that he finds in magasines. One was the deep rock well drilling rig. He figured that even if he could do his own well, he would be out of the hole and then he could make good money drilling other wells. The brouchure and video were interesting to watch, but they seem to miss the part about the  canadian sheild. I warned my buddy about this, but deep rock assured him that they had bits for all types of situations that you could encounter. The big day came, and we set up the rig in his garage. His first and last job was to drill a hole in his garage floor, to install a drain. Well 10 gal of gas later and 3or 4 six packs we managed to drill through 4 inches of cement, and pierce a hole into the topsoil for about 2 feet then we hit the old sheild, nice solid granite. the drill never moved down after that. We ended up putting an ice auger on the shaft and spent the rest of the winter ice fishing. Typical wells around here average over 200 feet all through solid rock. good luck...burlman...

Tom

I've read about Deep Rock for years and even thought about getting one for shallow wells.

About 7 years ago, I actually saw one.  It had been used to drill a well in the Satilla River flood plain, not far from where I took Jeff and Charlie to see the big lodge.  I Happened up on it in a neighbors side yard and ask him how it worked.  He said that it worked good for as far as it went but that it got stuck, they couldn't get it out, got frustrated and left it there. It was an engine and frame sitting on top of a pipe that was stuck in the ground and looked like it was in working order.  On closer examination I could tell that it was well weathered and would probably never run again.  My guess was that it had been sitting there like that for over three years.  He confirmed that it was probably closer to five. :D

dail_h

Got county water here for drinking,yuck!!! We drive'm a point and twojoints an hour max and plenty of water,but it's full of iron.There's a couple of Deeprocks around that the heating and cooling guys use for water to air heatpumps
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Frank_Pender

What you need, Norm is a unit that was designed to run off the pro system of a Duce and a half.  There were designed during WW II to provide fresh water in Europe for the GIs .  I have one.  It is great.  A fella I know used his todo a well in volcanic flow rock.  He went down 200'.  It is a driver type unit with a cam at the top that trips the drive.   I mounted it on an old millitary type jeep frame.  We have never used it here. :'( I have loaned it to a fella and he is yet ot get it set with a new gas powered motor. :-/
Frank Pender

Norm

Thanks for the replies, after talking to the company and others I just don't get a good feeling about trying this myself. As it is right now I have plenty of half done projects so one less won't make much difference. :)

Furby

My uncle has one, I don't know if Deep Rock made it or not. About 8-10 years ago we put a 1 1/2 or 2" well up at the lake, we went down 25' I think. Worked pretty good, but it was just sand and did take 4 or 5 of us a better part of a day to do it. For a 150' well I think I'd let someone else do the job. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!