iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hercules winch help?

Started by timberlinetree, February 25, 2014, 06:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

I'm having problems with a Hercules winch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We need to keep this running...

The problem:
I keep breaking a hose/bending the tab that holds the hydraulic clutch engaging cylinder in position. I'm familiar with Gear-O-Matic but have no experience with Hercules. I think something may be bound up in there - maybe a piece of a spring? It also never powered out (seemed like it was binding) but would free spool and winch in with no problem.

I'm taking it apart tomorrow to take a look at it and any suggestions would be very helpful.
Thank you - Jayson & Marci
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

David-L

what hose is being broken, do you mean the small one that feeds the clutch pack cylinder. mine has a twist in it before it connects and the mount is a swivel connector. have never been into the clutch but I am sure someone will answer up here.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Neilo

This happens when the thrust bearing is no good.

When you winch in, the thrust takes the load of the cylinder and if it is no good, it spins the cylinder outer around.

You will have to pull the right side winch leg and the cylinder. The thrust is behind the cylinder on the outside of the clutch pressure plate.

I don't have the part No for the bearing with me right now.

Neilo

timberlinetree

Thanks David yes the clutch one plus the bracket that keeps it from spinning gets bent and the whole unit spins breaking the fitting.I bent the bracket back and new hose tested on the landing under no load and worked. Hooked Up couple logs and same thing happens except bracket that holds it from spining Broke almost in half. I hope tomorrow will be better.

Neilo

See above. A new hose or another day isn't going to help.

timberlinetree

Thanks Neilo  after the first repair I realized something more wrong was going on. I will take apart to day and understand what u are saying. Sounds like the bearing is bad and locking the cylinder instead of letting it roll causing the cylinder to spin breaking hose/bracket. I'm hoping that it is an easy fix but that doesn't happen often.thanks so much for your help it is REALLY appreciated.

David-L

The part # is 200256 for that thrust bearing. Good luck.

David l

GRANITEstateMP

TimberlineTree,

We had a similar situation a couple years ago, can't remember the exact deal but it kept bustion off the fitting your talking about.  One of the members from Maine told me to call Harold's Logging in Hampden Maine 207-942-8331.  They had the parts in stock, new exactly what the problem was and gave a couple tips to get it done.  We had access to a loader so we took the winch right off and did it in the shop.  Heck, parts only took 1 day Maine to NH!  Hope this helps.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

timberlinetree

Thanks David l for the part number and also Granitestate for the info! Looks like Neilo hit the nail on the head - definitely the thrust bearing as you can see by the pictures.... I also have a couple of questions. What would cause the bearing to fail? Also where can I get a diagram? And should the hydraulic cylinder assembly come off as a whole unit or come off disassembled? Thank you all again so much for your help :)

Neilo

The grease fitting on the end of the winch will fill the outer bearing but also grease the shaft and the thrust bearing. How much to grease is a trade off between getting grease on the clutch pressure plate (that you have to wipe off to avoid clutch contamination) and your issue.

There are diagrams in the parts manuals. Available at Johndeertechinfo

The clutch cylinder comes apart under spring pressure when you take the leg off. If you haven't taken the winch out and have to put it together on your own, you can tie something around the shaft to hold the cylinder together while you put the leg on, then remove your tied on string etc.

Neilo

David-L

I would be glad to send you a pic from my parts manual. i could scan it and send it to you. PM me if you wish to do that.

David l

David-L

Neilo, how often should one grease that fiiting if the machine is used every day? And is this a couple of pumps and thats it.

David l

Neilo

The lubrication schedule states 50hrs or weekly for the bearing leg. A couple of pumps is probably OK.

Many operators reduce this. I have heard 6 monthly, but I think the point is to wipe away excess as it appears on the clutch pressure plate beside the cylinder rather than under grease.

timberlinetree

Thanks so much for all your help. You all are really nice people to take the time to help us out. We appreciate it!I made a new tab(bracket) yesterday. I hope bearing will be here to day. We will be doing firewood until we get the skidder fixed. We have logs on the ground and snow coming hope we can get to them before they get buried.

David-L

The diagram is in my gallery Timbertreeline. it's how i could do it as I do not have your e-mail. The clutch parts are all there. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

David l

timberlinetree

Wow thanks for the diagram and parts list makes it a lot easier to understand. I got it all back together fri afternoon but thought I'll wait till Monday to try it out just in case it doesn't work I'll have a good weekend :)thanks again everyone for all your help and have a great weekend! 8)

timberlinetree

Thanks so much everyone for all your help for getting us up and running! smiley_hardhat.

Neilo

It's good to see it back at work.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!