iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking at buying an LT 30

Started by Brandon1986, December 08, 2015, 10:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon1986

I was hoping for some opinions on an LT 30 I am looking at buying. The person selling it is down in the states right now so I don't have a whole lot of info on it. I was hoping I could get some folks to tell me what I should look at when I go see it. I will most likely bring a compression tester a new oil filter, oil filter cutter to see if there is any metal floating in the oil and look at as many bearings as I can find. He is asking $7500 for it and I feel like I might be able to talk him down a little. For around $7000 (in Alaska so keep shipping in mind) what should I be looking at wear wise? 

http://youtu.be/seh25PEOl7c

This is what I am using now, having a real mill should be a major blessing. Thanks for any info in adance.

Brandon

Magicman

You just move right along with that homebuilt sawmill.   8)

Saw a log on the LT30 and you will have a good feel about it's condition.  Also call WM with the serial# for it's history.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

47sawdust

I would call your local WM service center.I believe his name is Parker Rittgers.He a FF member as well.He could give you a sense of what to look for.I have a 1997 Lt30 standard mill that is just a great sawmill.it was made about the time WM beefed up the frame.I am slowly adding hydraulics to it,all purchased from WM.Quite easy to do since somebody else did all the engineering work.
What to look for?Obvious signs of neglect,missing parts,regular service.Since you built your own mill  you are no stranger to hard work or a challenge.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Brandon1986

1. Since I am not buying from Parker I would feel kinda guilty hammering him with too many questions, he has been real helpful already on my decision to step away from my home made contraption, and I don't want to make a nucance out of myself.

2. I wish I could say I built that, I added a LOT of things to it but I didn't build it.. I bought it for $100.

3. Around what year am I looking at for $7000? I mean am I likely to go out there in 2 weeks and find a timed out 1982 clunker or is $7000 likely to be a mid 90's viable machine?

Chuck White

I know you're talking about buying an LT-30, but there are a lot of similarities between the LT-30 and the LT-40, so this video by Al might be helpful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcHVxATFvlc&feature=player_embedded
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

47sawdust

As for value of an LT30/40,I would check WM's used mills,Sawmill Exchange and CL nationwide to give yourself a sense of what people are asking.Without knowing the year of mfg.it is hard to say if $7500.00 is a fair price.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Darrel

Quote from: Chuck White on December 08, 2015, 08:56:48 PM
I know you're talking about buying an LT-30, but there are a lot of similarities between the LT-30 and the LT-40, so this video by Al might be helpful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcHVxATFvlc&feature=player_embedded

I found this video very helpful when I was shopping for a used wood-mizer.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

starmac

I would ask what year it is.
I hope you are going outside anyway for reasons other than just going to see this mill.
My opinion is if in good shape and hydraulic it is worth it.
I gave 10 for my older lt40. It was before the frame changes, so does not have the dual plane clamp and no extensions available for it.
Some might say I paid too much, but it was sure worth it to me.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Brandon1986

He is out of state of vacation, not housed out of state.  He will be back on the 18th to show me the mill.  Thank you for the link to that video that was helpful! If you gave 10 for your 40 and you are up in Fairbanks (I think I recall seeing you were up there anyway) this one better be in good condition and newer I guess.  I have a line on an LT 40 Super Hydraulic in my area that has a bent head on it (Somebody backed a potato truck into it) if this doesn't pan out I think I will go door knocking and see if he will get rid of it for around 6k and fix it myself.. I haven't seen it move in at least 3 years and I drive by it on regular occasion.   

azmtnman

I just got my 1983 LT30 in April and paid $7000 for it. It had just under 700 hours on it, an Onan 20 HP and had always been kept inside. It belonged to a friend of mine's dad and his cousin so the history of the machine was well-known and trustworthy. It's old home was an hour away from the WM HQ in Indianapolis and it was serviced there.
  I have never sawn with anything else so I can't compare it to anything. This is also the first time I have sawn lumber and it has been very easy to learn on and operate. I would highly recommend an LT30 to anyone contemplating one.
   I have not had to deal with WM a whole lot yet, but they go out of their way to be helpful when I do need them and I see most of the guys here would agree.
Just my $.02
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

millwright

I had a lt 30 and it worked great , when I sold it I had it on cl for 6000 and I had people fighting over it. So I think I could have got much more for it

starmac

The fact that it is already in Alaska means quite a bit by itself as far as what it is worth.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

prittgers

Brandon, you're getting lot of good feedback on your post. 

Your local Wood-Mizer dealer is glad to help you find a used mill.  You'll be buying new blades and most WM locations are like ours - they do sharpening and setting. 

The LT30 is really a '40.  But it's shortened up so it would fit in a transoceanic shipping container.  Now there is a European manufacturing plant in Poland.  So few LT30's are sold in the US these days.

Keep looking!  The '40 with the bent head could maybe be straightened up.    Call me when you have time and we can see if we can get it into factory alignment.

Parker
Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

Thank You Sponsors!