iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trees falling in river

Started by bendjoseph, June 20, 2013, 12:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendjoseph

A local campground has asked if I could cut down two trees on a bank of a small river.  Maybe two feet deep.  The bank gave out and the two maples laid themselves down to the opposite side.  Anyone got any suggestions?

beenthere

First suggestion would be to determine if your rules will allow pulling it out of the stream. Some places, permits would be needed - silly as that may sound.

No suggestions for removing, without a picture or two of the situation.
Can you provide us with those and the equipment that you have at your disposal? How close to the bank can you get, etc. ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

1. Permission

2. 3-poiint hitch loggin winch

As mentioned by beenthere some municipalities will nail you hard for removing logs/trees from a stream or river without a permit!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bendjoseph

The owner is the one who contacted me.

He has a John Deere 900 four wheel drive tractor.

beenthere

Then it will just be the length you buck them up into, small enough for the tractor to pull them out.
Lots of variables that we don't know about, at the moment. i.e. size of trees, length of logs you want to recover, how close you can get to the river.........

Don't know of a model 900 with 4 wd. ??  Model 990 maybe? With a loader?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

timberlinetree

Did a job by a pond once and could not believe how much bar oil was coming off  the saw and making little rainbows(oil slicks) in the water! Try using veg oil or the expensive environmental stuff. The fish like it! :)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

bendjoseph

Dropped the trees like nothing.  Pulled them to the bank with the tractor, and cut them up.  Got a free weekend of camping. 

The tractor was a John Deere 990 with a loader.  Very nice machine!

Al_Smith

The cheapskate should have given you a season pass .

Thank You Sponsors!