iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wandering from Tennessee to Alaska, and back, 2023

Started by Machinebuilder, October 31, 2022, 02:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Sounds like an awesome trip.  My parents talked about doing a road trip to Alaska when they retired, but that didn't happen.  I sure hope your trip goes well.  It looks like you are preparing well.  Nice truck.  Is that a 6.2 or 7.3?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Machinebuilder

I special ordered the truck, It's a 2021 F350 XL, Supercab, longbed, 7.3 (gas), 4x4 4.30 gears.
It will do anything I might want to do with it.

the only "luxury" option I got was the extra large screen and Sync3. I like haveing bluetooth.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Magicman

If you don't already have one, go ahead and put your order in for a copy of : Milepost
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

Interesting.  I didn't know they would put 4.30 gears in a SRW.  I have a 2017 F350 SRW with 6.7 and 3.55 gears.  I like the bluetooth, SYNC3 and large screen as well.  Unfortunately with the price of diesel I haven't been driving the truck as my daily.  This will be the first time I have had a warranty expire due to years instead of miles.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

bigblockyeti

I spec'd out a fairly spartan 2022 F-250 4x4 CCLB, also with the 7.3 and 4.30 gears but just didn't pull the trigger.  I want it (bad), I can afford it, I just don't need it and I do need something (as small as possible) to pick logs from the trailer and gently set them on the mill.  That's the priority now.  

I was looking at my last oil change on my truck and it was back in April, I've only put ~2K miles on it since, it only gets driven when I need to tow or haul something, beyond that, it's a want and not a need.

Machinebuilder

My truck is my only vehicle, other than a couple motorcycles.

When I had a truck and a car my truck sat most of the time, that's not good for a modern vehicle.

Now that I'm not driving to work my miles are going way down so it makes even less financial sense to have 2 vehicles

With the 10 speed transmission and the 4.30 gears my RPM's are just over 2000 @ 70mph. IMHO that's where I want a gas engine to be.

On the interstates 70-75mph I get about 13.5mpg, on a 2 lane at 60-65mph I get close to 15mpg.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Machinebuilder on November 26, 2022, 04:22:27 PM
I special ordered the truck, It's a 2021 F350 XL, Supercab, longbed, 7.3 (gas), 4x4 4.30 gears.
It will do anything I might want to do with it.

the only "luxury" option I got was the extra large screen and Sync3. I like haveing bluetooth.
Yours is the exact one we considered before going instead with a 6.7 dually, for our Arctic Fox 865. Great match for your setup. thumbs-up
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tule peak timber

Just caught this thread and have enjoyed reading it. I look forward to your progress and seeing more pictures and posts as to how you are doing on this adventure!
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

terrifictimbersllc

Did you order it as chassis cab? What size is the fuel tank? 
Whats the GVWR?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Machinebuilder

I ordered it as a pickup, there are some things that a box delete or chassis cab don't include.

The Pickup has the spare underneath, the chassis cab doesn't include a spare.

As I recall the box delete had a different dash with less setup/monitor options.

My GVWR is 11800lbs Paylod sticker is 4800Lbs.

Loaded I am about 9800lbs, so i have lots of room to add stuff for a long trip. I don't like being near the max for long.

Machinebuilder

I've been studying my copy of the Milepost, and have gotten a lot of way points added to my GPS for the Northern Woods and Water Route.

There will be many detours off of it as it goes near several major Provincial and National Parks

I am going to try to take a screen shot and add it to the thread, I just have to figure out how to filter a bunch of older stuff out.

I also ordered Maps and Atlases for Canada, I like paper maps.

Machinebuilder

This gives a rough idea of the Northern Woods and Water Route

>

Machinebuilder

I've been working on getting route ideas entered in to my Garmin GPS.

The Milepost is unbelievable detailed, its hard to locate a lot of things on the computer.

I am now getting a better idea of how big some of these places are, I didn't understand how far it is from Dawson Creek, BC to the Alaskan border.
Many of the "towns" are much smaller than i imagined.

I am glad to be doing this without time constraints, I know I am going to be skipping many things but the amount I won't skip will be huge.

Magicman

Yup, Milepost 1 is Dawson Creek, BC and Milepost 1422 is Delta Junction, AK.  The  Alaskan Highway is now only 1382 miles but the milepost are still the same. 

Be sure to carry a sign for the Signpost Forest in Watson Lake, YT.

The mosquitoes will be bad during the first part of your trip but should diminish during July.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Machinebuilder

I've been working on things.

I got tires on the truck, Yokohama X-AT's. they are a more aggressive AT tire, BFG's are unavailable.

I put some high quality off road shocks on. There will be MANY miles of off pavement driving.

I am almost ready to put me side doors on the bed. Currently it's raining again so I am doing what I can.

I am planning to make a trip to Bass Pro and maybe Sevierville. I was not able to find a good hiking shoe locally.
At least this is the slow season there.

I have entered lots of way points in Garmin Explore (the computer interface to my GPS) the routes do not follow roads, I think they will in my GPS.

Here is a link to my shared page I think it's allowed here.

Machinebuilders Explore page

The password is

Let Me See

this will also have my inreach tracking when I start my trip.

I am almost ready to start pileing the stuff to take and then leaving about half of it.
I am taking some fishing gear, gold pan, photography gear, camping gear, and other assorted things.

I am trying to get a few important things done before I leave and am planning on leaving middle to end of April.

I've been watching a lot of youtube and have learned a little from them. I am really excited.

Don P

That's a lot of red ink, looks like fun  8)

What are "Red Chairs"?

Old Greenhorn

Well looks like you have the basic route laid out, that's not always easy. Are you planning to return the same way? Perhaps you'll decide that when you turn around, having learned a lot on your way up?

Seems like your route is taking you close to more than a few members, maybe you  could hook up with a few and get a rest or a local tour? You are passing through NY too far to my west to make it worth your while here.

Gonna be a great adventure! I hope you take a lot of photos and share them along the route.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

TroyC

From Whitehorse to the Alaska border will probably be your nastiest roads. Frost heaves will limit your speed to about 35 mph most of that day. I got caught in a snowstorm May 21 on that stretch of road with a 40' DP and Toyota Tundra toad. Go slow!

Be sure your vehicle insurance includes comprehensive coverage. You will likely need a windshield when you get back. A screen for the front end of your truck might help prevent pea gravel chips.

Homer is the place to halibut fish. Lots of head boats will take you out for small ones. You can camp cheaply on the 'spit'.

For salmon fly fishing, the Kenai River around Soldotna is great. You have to be where the fish are when they get there but mid July for salmon is a good window. The Russian River is fantastic if you get lucky and can get in the campground there. Salmon run charts are available on the internet, study them! Razor clams can be harvested, lots of fun and good eating!

Seward is great for July 4. They have a mountain that the town sponsors a marathon run up and it is definitely cool. Nice tour boats will take you to the glaciers from Seward.

Gas is readily available on your route. Always fill up whenever you can and never go below half a tank. Your cell phone should work in most populated areas of Alaska. Anchorage sports a Costco and Sam's. Liquor is expensive and don't try to exceed the limits going into Canada. Vegetables, milk, butter, (food) etc are expensive in Alaska. Ice cream is cheap. Check the import regulations for Canada before stocking up. I lost some bananas and tomatoes at the border crossing.

Shotguns can be declared and easily transported in Canada. I had no problems, permit was good for 2 months. DO NOT shoot any bears, or even think about it. Make lots of noise when you hike trails.

Remember, it will be daylight most all summer, even at 3-4 AM. Something to block the sunlight from your camper windows will help you sleep.

Crusarius

your going to be less than an hour from my house on 390 in NY. Welcome to stop by if you would like.

or if you end up needing anything I can help.

Machinebuilder

Coming back I am going to take the Cassiar highway south, That will get me to Jasper and Banf parks.
From there I will go to Glacier NP. I haven't really figure out past there yet.

Don P, the Red Chairs are something Parks Canada has done.
From what i can tell it looks like a pair of red Adirondack chairs et out in certain places.
I have not found a list of where they are.

I have had several offers to stop by and visit people, I need to make sure I have a list to find them.

TroyC, I learned years ago that Comp coverage is cheap compared to a windshield.

I will put some pictures here and another forum, some on Facebook, and most on a photo sharing site I am not allowed to link to here.

I am going to switch my Verizon plan to unlimited data but with limited service i don't know how much posting I'll be able to do.

It's going to be a lot to just keep up with pictures. I tend to take many and be very critical when I choose which ones to share

beenthere

Looks like a great trip. The key word, to me, is "wandering". Now if you "schedule" your trip, then the wandering will not happen so easily.  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TroyC

I used Verizon on my trip and it worked fine in most places. Around towns there should be no problems. I turned off data in Canada because it was not covered in my plan then.

Machinebuilder

I have finally

I finally got my bedsides done.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!