iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yearly? Eye Exam

Started by firefighter ontheside, November 29, 2022, 06:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I had my yearly eye exam today.  It's been about 3 years since my last one, so I guess its not really yearly.  My distance vision and close up have changed a little each but not enough to worry about according to the doctor.  I had Lasik about 13 years ago and I still have excellent distance vision.  Before the Lasik I had excellent close up vision, but they told me I would be trading one for the other.  I was happy to see distance and eventually need to wear reading glasses.  He told me to start wearing 2.25 reading glasses instead of the 1.75 I've been wearing.  My distance is still excellent and I haven't noticed a difference.  When it gets bad enough I will go back for a Lasik tune up.  He said right now the risk of messing it up is higher than the reward would be for getting it done.  He also talked to me about some drops that make you be able to see close up for about 6-8 hours.  It's a medication that was originally for glaucoma patients, but they found out about this secondary effect.  I brought home a sample bottle and will try it.  My thought is that if it works, I will use it for situations where wearing my readers is really inconvenient, like training when reading glasses get in the way.  I dont need to be able to read a book during training, but reading a tape measure or the manual for building shoring systems at a building collapse would be nice.  A month supply is $80 for someone using it every day.  I figure that much would last me 6 months.  It will be interesting to see how it works.  It's called vuity.  You may have seen it on commercials or maybe you've tried it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

Thanks, made me find da glasses, I've got an annual DOT medical cause of them coming up next week. My partner, who I read the fine print unaided for, gets to go every 5, his distance is better than mine. I do wear readers for fine work or late. My distance is just bad enough to fail the DMV test but I'd rather have the peripheral of not wearing them. In grade school I was always the eagle eye on the charts, fun, sun and time.

firefighter ontheside

To be clear, the drops only work to improve close up vision and not for distance.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Claybraker

Since we are on the subject I had my annual check last month. Sometime in the next few years I will need cataract surgery. Mentioned to the Dr the only problem is seeing iron sights at the gun range. Readers for the fine print of grocery store labels. He was kind enough to write me a prescription. So now I need to order a pair of progressive safety glasses. Who is good at that?

sawguy21

I strongly suggest seeing an optometrist for corrective eyewear, he/she can measure yer coconut and get the proper fit. You will soon hate them if you don't.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

TroyC

Quote from: Claybraker on November 30, 2022, 12:23:40 PMSo now I need to order a pair of progressive safety glasses

The progressives take getting used to, especially the first pair. I've had 2 pair that were cut incorrectly, the center area was too far apart and I could only focus one eye at a time. After a bunch of measuring, they agreed and recut them.

Old saw fixer

Those of us with diabetes should get a yearly eye exam to check for damage to our eyes.  I used to only go to the eye doctor before operator's license exam. 
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

YellowHammer

I've seen it and am very interested in it.  Please let us know how it goes.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doctorb

I, too, am interested in your experience with the drops.  My question would be, "Do they effect distance vision?   Can you drive while using them."
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

firefighter ontheside

He said they don't affect distance.  He said some people report that light seems dimmer than it should be.  Your pupils restrict and let in less light.  Stands to reason it might seem darker out.  He said the effectiveness peaks at about 3 hours post application, but can last twice that.  Havent tried it yet.  I'm gonna do a little milling Friday.  Maybe I will put the drops in that day to see how it works.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Just did some more reading.  It does say that you might expect to improve on a vision chart by 3 lines of close up vision, but lose one line of distance.  So, yes it you may lose a little distance.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

thecfarm

I had no problems at all with the progressive glasses. Those were the first time I wore glasses. I put them on and walked out of the office and walked down the stairs. 
Those was safety glasses too.
I went to an optometrist. He had a lot of styles to choose from. Then I told him I needed safety glasses. Not many styles to choose from when I said that. Maybe 40 pair.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

Progressives take getting used to. The first time I wore them my boss said something I considered a little stoopid, I looked down and shook my head and almost lost my balance. I have to get tested next week, my distance vision is deteriorating which makes driving a chore.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Claybraker

I only want them for the gun range. Driving is ok, even reading, or tying on a #14 hook. It's midge season around here. Some people switch to red dot sights but they look silly especially on a J-frame revolver.

doctorb

This med must do more that effect the diameter of the pupil.  You're correct, it changes the amount of light entering the eye. But focus is a matter of the lens and the shape of the globe of the eye.  I had heard about this medication when it was advertised on TV awhile back.  Have yet to investigate the literature on exactly how this works.  I am interested if they feel that you can drive while on this medication, if distance vision may be effected.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

firefighter ontheside

Apparently its a drug that's been used to treat glaucoma for a long time, but the improvement of near vision is a happy side effect.  I assume its under a different name when used for glaucoma.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

DbltreeBelgians

You peaked my interest in this Bill. I had LASIK performed 22 years ago after having issues seeing while wearing SCBA during a structure fire. As a search and rescue diver it wasn't much of an issue because I couldn't see my hand in front of my face most of the time and we also had comm's with the tender or dive master.  I too lost some of my up close vision after LASIK. Before the procedure when wearing glasses I could read the size of nearly any small drill bit. Now I have to use a magnifying glass to read them. Would love to have even a little bit of that ability back. I'd also be interested in a LASIK touch up as I didn't know there was an option for that. Please keep us updated on the eye drops and how well things work.

Brent 

firefighter ontheside

When I got my Lasik, it was a part of the deal that I paid for that if needed, they could do a new procedure to bring my distance vision back up to par.  I can't be sure that the same can be done for you, but most likely.  Technology for Lasik has gone thru many advances from the time that you had yours and then what I had.  I assume tech has changed even more.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SwampDonkey

I find with progressives you can read something that is dead flat, but if rounded like book pages it has a fish eye effect for me. I have no trouble walking, but some people can't see where their feet land with those. I don't have that issue. Everyone is different. :D I probably don't get tested more than once in 8 years. And progressives are double the price and you don't get the 'second pair free' deal either at Vogue Optical. :D I do have insurance though, for exam and eye wear.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ed_K

I find that safety glasses are heavy and hurt my ears and nose if they aren't fitted right ::) . I've been going to lens crafters, they do a good job at fitting them and if I run them over w/the tractor they will fix them for me 8).

Rita had to have eye surgery for cataract's. They can put a slice of plastic or something like that inside the eye to make your vision better far away. It's expensive like $2300. per eye. I talked Rita into it and wow she doesn't have to wear glasses at all, just reading up real close. She's worn glasses since she was 4 or 5 now nothing, even got her license without the glasses.
Ed K

YellowHammer

That's what my optometrist said also, if I ever got cataracts they would put in a new perfectly shaped lens and done.  He said it was a quick operation and routine.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

beenthere

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 03, 2022, 12:15:19 PM
That's what my optometrist said also, if I ever got cataracts they would put in a new perfectly shaped lens and done.  He said it was a quick operation and routine.  
And get to choose on a lens for long distance, or short distance. Use glasses to correct the other as needed. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

I had my annual eye exam on November 3rd when doctor found a film on my left eye. She called it a secondary cataract after having cataracts removed a couple years ago. I had laser removal of it this morning and have some floaters which are now going away.

Will go in for new glasses next week.
~Ron

Machinebuilder

Yall are lucky.

I've been seeing an ophthalmologist for eye exams every year for longer than I can remember.
The reason is i have High Myopia (nearsitedness), my prescription is a -12+ diopter. I have only met one person with higher.
The last couple years my Dr. is also keeping a close eye on a form of macular degeneration related to my high myopia

I get my glasses at an Optician, all they do is make glasses, there are only 2 people there that i like to touch mine.

I do tend to get all the expensive options added to my lenses, the ones i got this year were about $800/pair.

This year was the first time my prescription was totally screwed up, the new person at my Dr. just got it wrong.
There was a major change for me, about 1/2 diopter and the astigmatism correction was significant also.
The lenses were redone under warranty.

When I got my progressive lenses I had no problems adjusting to them.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

SwampDonkey

Lots of older folks around, including mother,  that have to go for wet AMD injections to curtail blood vessel growth. Took mother to the clinic this week and it's a steady coming and going of patients. Three doctors in that clinic doing it. Somebody is coining it. Thankfully, Medicare covers it here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!